xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Nws And Google National Weather Service using Google

Wow I knew it was gonna happen, The US National Weather Service Will now be using a google map overlay on all there radars comming real soon. Here is the Mosaic of the full US map. From what I have been told by people that are in the know with the NWS this should be taking place this May. I have been going to that page every day for about a week now, and they are working hard on getting bugs out. Now with the NWS using google will make things so much simpler than before as well. Now they can zoom into a area and pin point it's location down to the street, where they could not before. This is not just for the internet viewers. Ever NFO "National Forcast Office will be seeing the same thing. Sadly though about 6 to 7 mins before we see it on the net.

Just wish I could tell you all, but I can say this. There will be a lot more new and exciting things to come in the next 1 to 2 yrs. :D

I am not into stuff like this but WOW.. google is constantly making their great products even better. I have been with google from day one and check the google labs at least once a week to see what they are going to come out with next. This is AAwesome.

Can they sneak the border up about 300 miles in the Western States for the benefit of those of us living above the 49th parallel?:Dthat would be good... The Canadian Weather Service have links to the Radar results, but not nearly like the Google pages. Can't wait for the Canucks to get this happening.

Can they sneak the border up about 300 miles in the Western States for the benefit of those of us living above the 49th parallel?:D

that would be good...

The Canadian Weather Service have links to the Radar results, but not nearly like the Google pages. Can't wait for the Canucks to get this happening.

Well Only thing that I can suggest is to go back to the site and leave a comment request. Being your in Canada I kind of doubt that they would do this thought. Another would be for your to contact your weather service up there and suggest google overlays. 3rd and this is your best bet. Make your own radar from Google maps. The KML files you need are always found in the need. The are fairly easy to make if you know anything of Java and Ajax as well.

Good Luck.