xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

"crossed connection" error when trying to use Nokia as modem Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

"crossed connection" error when trying to use Nokia as modemConnect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

Hello all,

This is a very interesting forum and I've enjoyed what I've read so far.  I am trying to tether my MacBookPro running OS 10.4.11 to my Nokia 6682 to use it as a modem on Cincinnati Bell Wireless's GPRS network.  I spoke with a Cinci Bell tech support person who had some very interesting info.  First of all, he said I need a $10/month 'tethering' fee added to my plan;  this is in addition to my $14/month unlimited data fee for my phone.  The cell phone/modem tutorials I've read online never mentioned an additional feature being necessary on my wireless plan..?  Second, he gave me the GPRS CID string which is +cgdcont=1,"IP","web.Gocbw.Com" and told me to leave both Username and Password blank.  He said my modem script should be Null Modem 115200 (selected from the dropdown menu);  I guess I don't need the Nokia modem script I downloaded from Taniwha.Org.Uk/ ?  He also mentioned I might need the dial string *99# but I get the feeling that's for dialing a specific access number for my ISP (option 1) versus using a direct, higher speed connection to reach my ISP (GPRS, etc) which is option 2, which is what I'm attempting.  Okay, everything seems to be set properly, and when I select "connect" from the phone icon at the top of my screen my cell phone springs to life, clearly communicating with my laptop, and asks if I'll accept a connection request from the laptop;  of course I will!  I hit 'yes' and the Internet Connect app on the Mac attempts to connect or dial, then rapidly disconnects and says "A crossed connection has been detected.  Please verify your settings and try again."  What on earth...?  The only solution to a "crossed connection" problem that I found on the Apple OS X forums was pertaining to an Apple internal v.90 modem in an older MacBook.  This MacBook doesn't even have an internal modem, and anyway, I'm not trying to use an internal modem, I'm trying to use my CELL PHONE modem...  I'm stumped.  

-question by Brendan