xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
estelleonline

4 Stages Of Child Cognitive Development Fascinating explanation of how the minds of young ones grow and form..

STAGES OF INTELLECTUAL DEVELOPMENT IN CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS

Sensorimotor Stage (0 - 24 months)

"Babies are unable to consider anyone else's needs, wants or interests, and are therefore considered to be 'ego centric'.

During the Sensory Motor Stage, knowledge about objects and the ways that they can be manipulated is acquired. Through the acquisition of information about self and the world, and the people in it, the baby begins to understand how one thing can cause or affect another, and begins to develop simple ideas about time and space."

``````````````````````````````````

Preoperational Stage (2 - 7 years)

"During this stage, children's thought processes are developing, although they are still considered to be far from 'logical thought', in the adult sense of the word. The vocabulary of a child is also expanded and developed during this stage, as they change from babies and toddlers into 'little people'."

'"Animism' is also a characteristic of the Pre-operational stage. This is when a person has the belief that everything that exists has some kind of consciousness. An example of this is that children often believe that a car won't start because it is tired or sick, or they punish a piece of furniture when they run into it, because it must have been naughty to hurt them. A reason for this characteristic of the stage, is that the Pre-operational child often assumes that everyone and everything is like them. Therefore since the child can feel pain, and has emotions, so must everything else.

Pre-operational children are usually 'ego centric', meaning that they are only able to consider things from their own point of view, and imagine that everyone shares this view, because it is the only one possible. Gradually during this stage, a certain amount of 'decentering' occurs. "

Concrete Operational Stage (7 - 11 years)

"During this stage, the thought process becomes more rational, mature and 'adult like', or more 'operational', Although this process most often continues well into the teenage years.

Belief in animism and ego centric thought tends to decline during the Concrete Operational stage, although, remnants of this way of thinking are often found in adults.

Piaget claims that before the beginning of this stage, children's ideas about different objects, are formed and dominated by the appearance of the object. For example, there appears to be more blocks when they are spread out, than when they are in a small pile."

Formal Operational Stage (11 - 15 years)

"This permits adolescents to reason beyound a world of concrete reality to a world of possibilities and to operate logically on symbols and information that do not necessarily refer to objects and events in the real world.

Adolescents can focus on verbal assertions and evaluate their logical validity without making refence to real-world circumstances. In contrast, concrete operational children can evaluate the logic of statements by considering them against concrete evidence only."

Notice from jlhaslip:

copied

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

I learned this in psychology too, and it also amazed me. I never really thought of the feelings of young kids, and I still do not completely understand how they can tell how a newborn feels.

Either way, you did not give any credit to your source : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Nor did you use the Quote code to mark the information as being quotes. Please correct that.

I learned this in psychology too, and it also amazed me. I never really thought of the feelings of young kids, and I still do not completely understand how they can tell how a newborn feels.
Either way, you did not give any credit to your source : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Nor did you use the Quote code to mark the information as being quotes. Please correct that.

My bad... i am new here.. I will do that from now on. I fixed it! thanks for the reply :D

Not a problem.I'm not sure if you are a psychology enthusiast or not so I'll go ahead and toss this out to you...About cognitive psychology, those are all estimated times of being in each stage. Some people are in those stages longer than others, some never even go into the stages, and some never come out of them.For example, you may get into the Concrete Operational stage and never exit. Or you could hit that stage at a much younger age.The stages are just generalizations and are not necessarily reflective against everyone, just "most."

I am DEFINITELY a psychology enthusiast. Anything you have to tell me about psychology, I will listen to you and give you my complete and full attention. I knew it wasnt set in stone as far as the ages go, but I find it interesting that some completely skip entire stages or dont ever leave them at all. I also find it interesting that this data was able to be obtained. How did they come unto these conclusions? I would love to read the notes of this study.

We did not really study how they came up with this information...There is some of it I can understand..I would say the 4+ year old judgements, but anything before that throws me off. Kids that young can not really explain their feelings. Sure, they can speak, they can think of things they want/need(restroom, drink, food, etc.) but to tell what they are and are not capable of knowing just...I don't believe it.So in light of their research, I see two possible ways of them getting the information.1)They may just be looking at what you know in the beginning(more or less just watching to see how babies act) and later on, and attempting to fill in the blanks.2)There is a possibility(although I think small) that they hook the babies up to brain synthesizers or whatever they're called, to help measure brain waves. I guess this could be use to show what parts of the bring are being used, therefore showing what they know/have the capability of knowing as well. In this case, "knowledge" isn't so much knowing names and all as it is knowing right from wrong, love from hate, etc.Regardless as to if either of those is right or not, all psychological principles are said to be dynamic...It's like a theory. Psychology has not gotten to the point where things can be "proven," because nearly everything has the whole "there are exceptions" property to it.(For the record, I am also a psychology enthusiast. I'm in school studying clinical psychology right now - I want to be a crimal profiler...So I've taken some classes already and am still in them. I'll give input on anything you come up with. The worst case scenario is I learn something from your posts, :D)

lol... Well then lets make this our own personal psychology discussion thread. haha.I am in agreement with a blend of both explanations that you gave. Humans have a tendency to offer a few theories and say "one or the other" but a blend of all of them is usually the most correct one. For example... on #1 you say they simply observe. on #2 you say they hook them up and measure brain activity. Perhaps they do both? They may observe them WHILE they are hooked up to see what activities say what in their brain. Or they may watch them for a while, form a few ideas, and then check it out with the machines to either confirm their ideas or not. Or maybe they observe brain activity first to get an idea of what capabilities they have in the first place and get in the right frame of mind, then watch their play time to analyze what they discovered and draw new ideas and theories from there... did that make any sense? I basically combined your two theories together to make several new ones.You most likely wont learn anything from me, since I am only a 15 year old sophomore in highschool who hasnt even taken the class yet. I am very smart for my age though so dont under estimate me! I just read books and do research. I do studies from this psychology textbook i found in the hallway one day. I read it like a novel. I just have a passion for the subject, no formal training. So it really would be ironic if you learned a thing or two on psychology from my humble research.I am interested in neurology. I like reading about cases of brain damaged patients that have interesting combinations of handicaps. You should look into it. It is very interesting. Have you read the book "the shattered mind" by howard gardner? its a little outdated but it is very thought provoking.I also like to study theories of body language... I am actually interested in ANYTHING that has to do with the human mind. This includes how it is constructed, how it operates (i am aware we dont have the answers but i am big on reading theories) human intelligence, evolution, behaviors, personality development... etc. Just about anything you can think of about the human mind, I am very interested.A little off subject, I also think that dolphins are interesting. lol

haha, learned about this in my psychology class this quarter... feels like a review :Dyes, it is fascinating.Have you heard about the language acquisition period?There was a specific case my professor talked to us about... a girl named Genie, up til she was about thirteen years old stayed confined in her room unable to speak or interact with anyone.. sick, i know. A social worker saw her condition while she was out with her mom, and that's how the authorities discovered her... but when they did, they realized she couldn't speak. There's a specific time frame in a child's first few years which allows them to learn & use language appropriately apparently... and if that period passes and the child is not exposed to language, then the child won't be able to fully master the mechanics of communication.