xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rayzoredge

Does Anyone Experience Not Getting Ims Using Aim?

To keep it simple: Have you NOT received IMs from someone who told you they sent you something earlier? Does AIM have a way to keep this from happening?To make it complicated: One of the questions that aroused my interest in doing some (so far) fruitless research is whether OSCAR (AIM's instant messaging protocol) has some sort of redundancy-until-reception check, called a frame check sequence (the stage where the protocol does an integrity check of the data being received before accepting the payload of data or dropping the packets to request the payload again) or not. I'm just wondering if AIM's protocol performs this or not to ensure that your IMs make it to your recipient in one piece without losing any data packets, and if it does do this and your IM really doesn't make it to your recipient, whether it sends you an error message or not.I have personally never gotten an error message from AIM, but on GMail's GChat, I would get the occasional "XXXXX did not receive your chat," but sometimes the chat actually makes it through even with the returned error message. GCHat does utilize AIM's OSCAR protocol/API, but AIM never tells me that an IM never made it. I've also used Trillian and cannot recall any error messages with AIM.Can anyone enlighten my curiosity?

You can also check your idle and away protocols. I set it sometimes that I cannot recieve messages and those messages are not sent, but the sending user it says they are, AIM is rather simple so it doesn't support having two accounts at once, and it doesn't want to confuse the end user, so error messages are not explanined unless consulted with the online support. I didn't know anything about IM Protocols, but usually when I have that problem it is because my time reset, when I restarted my computer, so I didn't receive anything after logging in, from a friend or contact. Its usually lost, and I don't believe its based on a protocol, oh and I believe gTalk is based on emails, also, because your conversation is logged as longer email that gets forward and replied to.