xisto Community
princeofvegas

My Theory Of Velocity

The best thing to practice this on is the moon, since the moon doesnt spin and it has gravity

Good idea to do it on the Moon, it certainly poses less atmospheric problems. But the Moon does spin around its own axis, just its spinning period happens to be the same as its revolution period around the Earth, that is why we always see the same face of the Moon.

@ darasen: sure if we change the frame of reference we can always find one about whom the ball does not stop... I think the original question was "Does the ball come to a stop with reference to the Earth?"

Given the Earth rotates at speeds greater than 1000 miler per hour and the goes around the sun at 67,000 MPH while the solar system goes around the galaxy at about 490,000 MPH am going to have to say No the thrown object never stops. Relative to the thrower the object may seem to stop. But, I must add that unless your object comes down exactly the way it wen up than no it has never come to a stop as the object thrown is also going to have some rotational motion as well.
Thus while if very simply expressed via math an non rotating object going in a straight line up does technically reach zero upward motion before descending it serves no real world purpose.

Its impossible to be at 0mph anyway - the universe is moving and expanding faster than light can travel.
And how do you know if you are travelling at 0mph in space?

Its impossible to be at 0mph anyway - the universe is moving and expanding faster than light can travel.And how do you know if you are travelling at 0mph in space?

Nobody can really define such thing as "absolute speed", although some people (i.e. Einstein) gave some insight into it. But it is possible to travel at 0mph with reference to a relative reference system, such as the Earth, which is what the original question is about, as I understand it.

+ Earth's rotation+ Other dynamic factors+ Earth's orbit around the sun in the solar system+ Solar system movement in the galaxy+ All other factors which affect the motion.So, complete stop in terms of factors listed above, no.But if everything else is constant, and no unbalanced force, it will look like it stopped relative to the factors above.

If it goes down exactly the same way as up, it stops. That simple.

Oh, of course. Only under rare and strict circumstances in the real world. Things move, the size of movement could be small, but still moving. If everything is constant, and you threw an object up, it will stop when it reaches the highest point; relative to earth, and then comes down.

In low level speaking, it is simple. But in the real world, it's not that simple.