xisto Community
pasten

Beginners Guide To Hosting A Webserver On Your Own Pc Host your personal website on your own PC

Beginners Guide to Hosting a Webserver on Your Own PC

(No ads, Completely free)

This tutorial will guide you to set up your own webserver on your PC to host your own websites so that you can show it off to the world. And soon you will come to know how easy it is to do so. Before going ahead, here are a few drawbacks of hosting a site on your own PC:

• The PC needs to be 24x7 'ON'.
  • Your webserver might be highly vulnerable to attacks and even more if you host on a windows platform.
  • Once created, you need good skills to maintain the server.

Here are the basic requirements before we begin:

• A reasonably good PC with power backup.
  • Broadband internet connection with
upload speed of 256 kilo bits per second or more (You can check the upload speed from these websites: testmy.net or changeip.com or speedtest.net).
Apache Webserver
PHP and MySQL (required to host dynamic websites)

A domain name (not required if your satisfied with free subdomain and it would be great if you can get free domain like uni.cc or co.cc)

So lets begin:

1) First you need to install Apache webserver. There are many nice tutorials on it, google them (for Linux, for Windows).

2) Once you've got apache working on your computer, find your IP here. Now you have to do a little bit of research to find out wether your IP is static (permanent) or dynamic (changing). You can look at your internet package in the ISP's website to find that or better you can directly call the help desk. If you have static ip, go to step 3. The problem with dynamic ip is that, it keeps changing from time to time, and hence the change in TLD takes some time to update. To solve this, get a free no-ip.com subdomain and download the client which constantly updates your latest ip to the subdomain.

3) If you have a domain name you can forward the no-ip subdomain to your domain using free dns services provided by zonedit.com. Once you create a free account, add your website in the zonedit account. You basically need to set web forward from zonedit to the no-ip subdomain you created before. You will get two zonedit nameservers, add them to your domain registrar's website. After a couple of hours your site will be accessible by typing in your domain name. If you didn't add the domain you can access your website throught the no-ip subdomain. Just keep the client running too.

Note:

If you were unable to install apache, you can download and install XAMPP which contains Apache, PHP, MySQL and more in a single package.

Thank you pastern for this tutorial. I am planning to established my own web hosting company in future. This tutorial definitely give me a basic idea about how to make a Web server. I think I need separate PC for A web server that than usually I works in PC.

Great article. Clear explanation of all the basics. required to get home server working.@puneye - Nice and good luck, starting your own web hosting. If you are really serious about in house hosting, you can buy a good server to begin with. A solid internet connection (atleast 10 MBps upload speed to start with), a good Backup (with extra batteries) is the bare minimum. Get some members hosted, do some advertising. Then if you think you have quiet a good number of people hosting high traffic websites on your server, the you can outsource your server to some data center. At this stage you've got two choices, either let them manage the server (pay more) or do it yourself by going to the data center and doing the server management (pay less but you must have all the skills and knowledge).Keep us posted about your ventures if you did start up with this thing.