xisto Community
Digitalidad

Drug Legalization Are you for or against it and why?

I think marijuana being legalized would be terrible. its already ruining lives illegal. although for the people who already use it, it would not cost as much, but for the people in the upper class areas, with nothing better to waste their money hand, this would be terrible.

I would hate to see any of my freinds becoming potheads, just because they can. and dont think kids wont get it , because i know alot of people ( including me ) who have age twenty-one + freinds, who would buy this for them if asked/payed.
-----
People would be trying to sue the government for "wrongful death" or "assisted suicide" when there family members or loved ones died,
which would cost more than they can produce

Making it legal would make it SO much harder for those addicted or in rehab

One last thing.

The taxes (30/50$)? an ounce, would be good for the economy in some ways, but bad in others, if this does happen, it should be temporary.

Critics of the war on drugs, such as Boaz, contend that drug prohibition is a futile, costly effort that has failed to reduce drug use. They point out that the drug war costs the federal government more than $16 billion a year and that billions more are spent at the state and local levels. As a result of this massive antidrug campaign, four hundred thousand Americans are imprisoned for drug law violations. Sixty percent of federal prisoners and 25 percent of state and local inmates are held on drug charges—mostly for the relatively minor offenses of possession or low-level dealing to fund their personal use.

Overall a 3/100 idea

Notice from truefusion:
All copied material must be placed within QUOTE bbcode.

Firstly, I think it is fundamentally problematic to talk about "drug legalisation" on the whole. In our increasingly technological age of never-ending drugs made in laboratories means that you can not simply advocate drug legalisation.

Each drug must be considered individually.

I'm from the UK where tobacco and alcohol are both legal. On the whole other drugs are legal, other than say prescription drugs, caffeine etc. I judge alcohol and tobacco both to be acceptable as legal drugs and by the standard I would passionately argue that marijuana should be legal.

A simple comparison of alcohol and marijuana proves a damning indictment of alcohol. Alcohol is cited as being the cause of a lot of violence in city centres at weekends (could argue other drugs, but its unlikely to marijuana). From my experience, people who smoke marijuana, as oppose to drink alcohol, are more peaceful, less aggressive and quieter.

I think there is a similar argument here with magic mushrooms. I think that by the standard of alcohol, marijuana and magic mushrooms should be legal. Now obviously there are implementation problems but I won't go into those.

I don't really think there are cases for the legalisation of any other drugs, the closest would probably be ecstacy (or MDMA) though I think more research would needed into the long term health risk of regular use. I do not think there is any case for the legalisation of highly addictive drugs like cocaine or heroin, or for seriously mind altering drugs like LSD or ketamine.

I myself am for legalisation of weed but not for the hard *BLEEP* like crack or meth. Legalise CHRONIC AND THE NATURAL STUFF NOW! If you want freedom of speech then let people own their bodys first.

I dont think the laws regarding drugs should be changed at all. Think about the people who have mental illness or who are highly succeptable to illness due to drug use. It would be irresponsible to let such individuals 'go' if we have control over it.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

i think the people should decide for themslefs, no one wants others to be in controls of their bodys

By not legalizing marajuana you are not stopping people from using it, but you "are" making it less accessible to the public as a whole. It can't stop you from doing whatever you do in your own home. Have you ever met anyone who has been severely effected by dope? I did know one.