xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
flashy

Learn To Count In Binary

Thank you networker!!!! :D I can do it now so easy :D:P:D Thank you!!!!!!!!! Damn that site is good go check it out if you was confused like me.

Thank you networker!!!! :D I can do it now so easy :P:D:D Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Damn that site is good go check it out if you was confused like me.

hmm that is a good site :D

I used my special binary counting skills and i managed to make a colour that worked from binary :D

I'm probably a little late on this but I'd figure I'd dump some of my knowledge here, since this is my major after all. Why do computers use binary? It would be far too inaccurate to use any other base. Base 3 may have worked (no voltage/low voltage/high voltage), but there are a lot less mistakes made when just using two values: no voltage and high voltage. Imagine if imperfections in the output of the power supply could cause bits to be changed. Reads and writes to memory could never be trusted and probably would cause the operating system to crash if the wrong value of memory was passed to it, especially while booting.You can learn a lot more about how exactly the computer uses binary when you take a look at the way the ALU works inside a CPU, or when you look at the connection between the CPU and RAM. If you look at the wiring between the CPU and RAM you will find many connections that can be grouped into different busses. The address bus usually consists of about 32 bits. Each of these bits is actually a wire with either voltage (on) or no voltage (off). These 32 bits can be interpreted as a 32 digit binary number, which tells the RAM which memory location the CPU wishes to either read from or write to. Next you have the Data bus, and the Read/Write bus. When the Read/Write bus is on, it tells the ram that it wishes to write whatever value is being passed to it over the data bus, and it writes this to whichever location is being sent by the address bus. When the Read/Write bus is off it tells the ram that it wants the ram to pass whatever value resides at the address that the address bus is passing to it over the data bus.Another great example is if you look at the chip design. Specifically of the ALU and how it gets and sends its data. On a two-bus architecture the ALU will traditionally get both inputs from either bus, then it will calculate and store the result in a register designated to storing the result. At each connection to the busses the ALU and registers have gates which either allow voltage to pass through or not. Things could get quite confusing if instead of using binary (on/off) computers used base 3 (low/high/off), and the more bases the worse it would be.Now with that out of the way, I'd like to say shame on all of you who hear binary and immediately start talking about computers. Sure computers use Base 2, but binary is something mathematical, and you should take a mathematical approach to learning it. You should actually look up what bases actually mean and learn to count in any base, not just base 2.

I'm probably a little late on this but I'd figure I'd dump some of my knowledge here, since this is my major after all. Why do computers use binary? It would be far too inaccurate to use any other base. Base 3 may have worked (no voltage/low voltage/high voltage), but there are a lot less mistakes made when just using two values: no voltage and high voltage. Imagine if imperfections in the output of the power supply could cause bits to be changed. Reads and writes to memory could never be trusted and probably would cause the operating system to crash if the wrong value of memory was passed to it, especially while booting.

You can learn a lot more about how exactly the computer uses binary when you take a look at the way the ALU works inside a CPU, or when you look at the connection between the CPU and RAM. If you look at the wiring between the CPU and RAM you will find many connections that can be grouped into different busses. The address bus usually consists of about 32 bits. Each of these bits is actually a wire with either voltage (on) or no voltage (off). These 32 bits can be interpreted as a 32 digit binary number, which tells the RAM which memory location the CPU wishes to either read from or write to. Next you have the Data bus, and the Read/Write bus. When the Read/Write bus is on, it tells the ram that it wishes to write whatever value is being passed to it over the data bus, and it writes this to whichever location is being sent by the address bus. When the Read/Write bus is off it tells the ram that it wants the ram to pass whatever value resides at the address that the address bus is passing to it over the data bus.

Another great example is if you look at the chip design. Specifically of the ALU and how it gets and sends its data. On a two-bus architecture the ALU will traditionally get both inputs from either bus, then it will calculate and store the result in a register designated to storing the result. At each connection to the busses the ALU and registers have gates which either allow voltage to pass through or not. Things could get quite confusing if instead of using binary (on/off) computers used base 3 (low/high/off), and the more bases the worse it would be.

Now with that out of the way, I'd like to say shame on all of you who hear binary and immediately start talking about computers. Sure computers use Base 2, but binary is something mathematical, and you should take a mathematical approach to learning it. You should actually look up what bases actually mean and learn to count in any base, not just base 2.

Wow thanks for that :D

and thankyou anheizhiye :D