xisto Community
Veradesigns

What Should I Eat What kind of food do you recomend.

I'm aware of at least two Mr. Universe winners (including Arnold Schwarzenegger) who reached their personal best by adopting a vegetarian, or mostly vegetarian diet. May I suggest a meal that includes whole grains of some sort, accompanied by a tasty legume? India and countries of the Middle East and Africa have perfected this equation, so look to them for guidelines. They are generally thinner and more limber than their American counterparts, no doubt in part to their excellent diet. For a quick meal to be followed by a workout of some sort, I personally like a hummus wrap, which includes:

- organic whole wheat wrap (a whole grain carbohydrate; can be tortilla or any whole grain wrap)

- hummus (a protein dense blend of garbanzo beans and succulent spices; readily digested and assimilated - unlike meat)

- organic yogurt and/or feta cheese

- lettuce, tomato, greek olives, red onions

And since you're in training, may as well have some brown basmati rice or whole grain chips on the side. A hummus wrap can be had in most urban areas. In lieu of this, you can buy the ingredients at places like Trader Joe's, Wild Oats, and even Costco. Just try to avoid hummus containing Canola Oil (Canadian Oil). This controversial product damages heart tissue. Try to find hummus made with Olive, Sunflower, or Safflower oil instead. Of course, you can always make hummus yourself. You just need to throw some cooked garbanzo beans in a blender with some olive oil, lemon juice and spices.

I am in no way being offensive here misanthrope, so please forgive me if it sounds lik i am, but i am fed up with the internet and its ability to perpetuate lies or myths, and unsubstaniated fact about products, when the people themselves are not scientists or medical professionals, nor have they actually tested the products them selves. A bit of back ground on me, i am a doctor, a medical scientist. I have worked in a laboratory, and YES i have tested and researched canola, and if i may correct your statement;

canola oil

upon surfing the internet about products its not hard to find A LOT of claims that it causes cancer, eats your children, causes you to grow 5 heads, raises your taxes etc. Canola Oil is no exception to this rule, some of the claims surrounding this product are;

Canola was produced via genetic modification from the rapeseed plant.

Rape is the most toxic of all food plants.

Canola oil contains large amounts of "isothiocynates" that contain cyanide.

It's used to make mustard gas - the poison gas that was used during WW1.

It inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme critical for transmission of nerve signals in the body.

Canola is an industrial oil and doesn't belong in the human body.

It causes mad cow disease

i laugh every time i read cr*p like this, eronous claims made by people more than UNQUALIFIED to make them. i shall dispell all these points right now;

Canola was developed from the rapeseed plant, but through natural plant breeding methods — you remember, the way new plant breeds were developed for thousands of years before GM came along?

Canola oil was originally developed in response to concerns about the high levels of erucic acid in rapeseed oil. Erucic acid is a toxic fatty acid that occurs in fairly high concentrations in rapeseed. But it's only mildly toxic (it's actually the active ingredient of 'Lorenzo's oil') and canola is a variety of rapeseed bred to have much lower levels of erucic acid, while still maintaining the high levels of monounsaturated fats, the good fats.

Isothiocyanates and cyanide. Canola certainly contains isothiocyanates. But these are compounds found naturally in many foods and especially in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Despite the name, isothiocyanates are nothing like cyanide. They're actually beneficial because they can lower the risk of getting bowel cancer.

Mustard gas. Botanically, rapeseed is a member of the mustard family, its only connection with mustard gas is the name. The mustard family also includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, all extremely nutritious and harmless foods. But mustard gas, a volatile, toxic chemical used in the trenches in WW1, is called ‘mustard’ gas only because it has a mustard-like odour. There's no other connection with canola!

Acetylcholinesterase. Nerve gases (such as sarin) inhibit acetylcholinesterase so maybe this myth has come from a wild association with mustard gas. There's absolutely no evidence to support it. Canola oil has been thoroughly tested and proved to be safe - plus it can help to lower blood cholesterol and has other health benefits.

An industrial oil. Canola can certainly be used as an industrial oil - to make lubricants, soaps, paints, cosmetics, etc. But so can other vegetable oils, such as soy and corn oil, and they're certainly fit for human consumption. The story probably comes from the fact that in the past rapeseed oil was used as a lubricant for steam engines. It was found to to cling to water and steam-washed metal surfaces better than any other lubricant available at the time.

Mad cow disease. Mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE) was caused by the practice of feeding sheep offal to cattle. (A similar condition, scrapie, has long been known in sheep.) It's caused by a prion, a small protein molecule, that causes production of a special kind of protein in the central nervous system of susteptible animals. There's no connection between prions and canola oil.

so hopefully you can see, most claims about this particular oil are TOTAL BS, and advice or opinion should not be given as fact, opinion most certainly is cool, but people should always state that they are not a professional, as this is how crap claims are perpetuated. i dont want to sound like im on my high horse, i am no better than anyone here, i am just a believer in truth and honesty 100%

as for you claims that canola oil damages heart tissue, i find that really really funny, and couldnt be further from the truth. it is GOOD for your heart,

there’s no evidence to suggest that you should be wary of canola oil. Nutritionally, it’s an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, and has been shown in many clinical trials to lower LDL cholesterol levels (the type associated with coronary heart disease), and total cholesterol. It’s a safe and nutritionally sound choice for cooking but, as with any fat, use it in moderation.

i hope i have been informative, and not condescending. I can offer help and ADVICE on anything health related, medical and nutritional, but as always my advice is no substitute for seeing you own GP or health professional.

Notice from truefusion:
As a doctor, you should have been able to come up with the words yourself.

Indeed, if we search the internet: https://www.choice.com.au/

A bit of back ground on me, i am a doctor, a medical scientist.

there’s no evidence to suggest that you should be wary of canola oil. Nutritionally, it’s an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, and has been shown in many clinical trials to lower LDL cholesterol levels (the type associated with coronary heart disease), and total cholesterol. It’s a safe and nutritionally sound choice for cooking but, as with any fat, use it in moderation.

There's something i noticed from doctors that has its own flaw: labeling HDL as "good cholesterol" and LDL as "bad cholesterol." There's no such thing as good and bad cholesterol. HDL and LDL aren't even cholesterol, they're lipoproteins. Their purpose is to give and retrieve cholesterol to and from the cells: HDL takes from the cells and LDL gives to the cells. They call "LDL cholesterol" bad because of what it does. "LDL cholesterol" is not the cause of heart disease, even though it is the reason why the cholesterol is there in the first place. Your cells need the cholesterol in order to function properly. Cholesterol is also used as a defense mechanism for the cells. Your brain even uses a lot of cholesterol during your sleep. What you don't want to happen is have the cholesterol oxidize, that's what causes problem, for it causes things to build up and clog. That's why you need vitamins, since a lot of them are what they call "antioxidants." People in the far north and far south eat a lot of meat, because you can't really grow anything there, so their cholesterol levels are bound to be higher than what most or many doctors consider to be healthy. If you have low cholesterol, that means if your body needs cholesterol, it taxes the liver for it. The liver makes cholesterol on its own for the cells to use. By eating foods with cholesterol in them, you make things easier for the liver concerning cholesterol, since all it would have to do is recycle the cholesterol gained from your diet. All in all, eating healthy isn't as good if it's not coupled with exercise.

There's something i noticed from doctors that has its own flaw: labeling HDL as "good cholesterol" and LDL as "bad cholesterol." There's no such thing as good and bad cholesterol. HDL and LDL aren't even cholesterol, they're lipoproteins. Their purpose is to give and retrieve cholesterol to and from the cells: HDL takes from the cells and LDL gives to the cells. They call "LDL cholesterol" bad because of what it does. "LDL cholesterol" is not the cause of heart disease, even though it is the reason why the cholesterol is there in the first place. Your cells need the cholesterol in order to function properly. Cholesterol is also used as a defense mechanism for the cells. Your brain even uses a lot of cholesterol during your sleep. What you don't want to happen is have the cholesterol oxidize, that's what causes problem, for it causes things to build up and clog. That's why you need vitamins, since a lot of them are what they call "antioxidants." People in the far north and far south eat a lot of meat, because you can't really grow anything there, so their cholesterol levels are bound to be higher than what most or many doctors consider to be healthy. If you have low cholesterol, that means if your body needs cholesterol, it taxes the liver for it. The liver makes cholesterol on its own for the cells to use. By eating foods with cholesterol in them, you make things easier for the liver concerning cholesterol, since all it would have to do is recycle the cholesterol gained from your diet. All in all, eating healthy isn't as good if it's not coupled with exercise.

oh my good ness i sincerely apologise for paraphrasing from an article, i never puported those words to be my own, nor did i say those words are a result of my own studies on it. if you would like my friend, i can scan or email you my own papers on the subject too?? somehow i dont see that would change your mind, but thats the beauty of science, and what drives the improvement of it. We can BOTH have VALID arguments and opinions on whether it is good or not, and guess what, we are both right.

Joshua

EDIT:

As a doctor, you should have been able to come up with the words yourself.

Indeed, if we search the internet: https://www.choice.com.au/

yes i do know this, and can write you MANY words, or AGAIN i CAN email you my thesis on Cholesterols, proteins...etc, i actually do apologise without any sarcasm whatsoever for my lack of knowledge in posting on internet forums, but my BBCODE is rather laughable and i couldnt qoute properly, i left it ambiguous i know, and for that i apologise. As for calling lipoproteins 'cholesterol', really...how many people here will know what lipoproteins are??? it makes high level information much more accessable to people who have no science background. if you would like i can begin a thread on educating the masses on things like this?? Peace

Joshua

Edited by aeren (see edit history)