xisto Community
ragav.bpl

I Encountered A New Problem Either the desktop or the task bar locks on startup

Hi Trapians.....I encountered a new problem in my OSI have a windows xp professional version........ I reinstalled it on the PC and then installed some tweaking software(i usually install them)such as System mechanic Advanced system careboth of the above are 1 of the best softwares available for tweaking......After i ran the system mechanic it compressed the registry and then after that when i restarted the system this problem started occuring...i.e. when i start either the desktop or the taskbar locks upbut not both at the same time...... Suppose if the desktop is locked up then there is only a 'ding error' sound when i click on the desktop......Then i reformated the computer and then evrythings allright.......So be carefull to make a restore point before compacting the registry from next time

These problems of registry compacting and system restore are best handled by the operating system itself. The two programs you mentioned above - viz - System mechanic and Advanced system care, may be one of the best in the market but just go through what they actually do. These programs themselves rely on the registry settings and are responsible for their own installation by modifying and changing the registry. Now when they do the compacting of the registry, they completely mess around with what happens with the registry, and not to mention that the system registry now needs to work with the changed / compressed registry, which is the basic reason for the system failure.Its not that the applications or the operating system has failed, but the registry query leads to irratic results after the compression.Also so many tweaks are incorporated in the registry by these applications that the registry failure is bound to happen.

Hi Trapians.....

I encountered a new problem in my OS

I have a windows xp professional version........

I reinstalled it on the PC and then installed some tweaking software(i usually install them)

such as

System mechanic

Advanced system care

both of the above are 1 of the best softwares available for tweaking......

After i ran the system mechanic it compressed the registry and then after that when i restarted the system

this problem started occuring...i.e. when i start either the desktop or the taskbar locks up

but not both at the same time...... Suppose if the desktop is locked up then there is only a 'ding error' sound when i click on the desktop......

Then i reformated the computer and then evrythings allright.......

So be carefull to make a restore point before compacting the registry from next time

Are you sure that problem was from the windows side and it was not from the software you installed. Although I am not expert in security matters but most of the time I have faced the problem after downloading and installing the software from the internet (un trusted sites) because of different Trojan or other type of viruses. Most of the time you install something and they install the useful things as well as some hidden malicious programs that plays with registry and after that you have only two options search them and delete them either manually or by using some code or reinstall the whole OS(Big headache).

Oh my gosh, this is why I HATED windows XP.The explorer.exe seems to be the process that keeps messing up for you, not iexplorer, just explorer.exe This process is like.. My computer, Task bar, and all that good stuff, if you need to like start it backup you can hit contorl shift escape, and then go new task, and type in explorer.exe.you should always create restore points when messing with some tweaks, it is very important because you may lose important things, ect.

I set up a restore folder when I did registry tweaks, but other than that I wouldn't really mess around with it too much. The only tweaks I ever did is with CCleaner, and I haven't had too many problems with that. Actually none so far. I always though explorer.exe was the file browser you had, when you open My Computer. Now I know that I shouldn't mess around with that. What exactly were you doing though? Thanks for the tip Trampsoch. Sometimes you never learn until something forces you to learn