xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Date Of Topics so funny to me

I had to laugh so hard today. crusing around looking at the new posts I notice a few post that some had replied to dating back 2 or 3 yrs back. Maybe this post is in the wrong place I dont know and wouldnt call it a vent yet wouldnt call it advice, and yet not a suggestion too. I know it sounds funny but how about we all start reading the dates of topics before making a post. We all know that well and some will not like me saying this, but posting like that in out dated topis is just to get your mycents up, sadly but true. Idea here though on how to stop such posts. maybe set the board to move a topic that has reached a date, to a location that would be set as a post don't count? that way we could still have all topic yet would not have someone bringing up a topic from 2004 of my bf left me what do I do or something like that.Only a thought. maybe a good one maybe not. I really would like to know though what you all think of this. Maybe if we get enough people here who are like me and hate spam and worthless posting just to get your count up, something can be done.

Haha, I see this all the time. It is fairly annoying, especially when it is the original poster asking for advice and the advice only arrives after several years :P It could also be annoying if it's something like 'so and so beta released' and someone replies that it's now in version 3 or whatever - I see things like this frequently on another forum I visit. It isn't always an annoyance though, if a user has something productive to add that could stem discussion from the thread again then there should be nothing wrong with that.

I had to laugh when I saw this post, a guest replying to a somewhat old thread assuming the topic starter (galexcd) was not looking at the thread anymore, to which he replied :P

yea that is a hoot. But what I was trying to say was it all breaks down to post counts and mysents.

I agree its annoying because I frequently am viewing the most recent topics being discussed and find that either the last poster has not contributed in my opinion to the discussion in any way other then reviving a dead thread for the sake of posting. Even responding to a thread with little value has the same effect. Don't get me wrong when I say this but I think you Echo_of_thunder have done this your self making you a hypocrite. If I'm wrong then I take it back please don't take any offense to it. I just like to say things up front no sugar coating it. I think we all have done it in the past but heck who is keeping count? No I will not state what particular post was it that you or anyone else responded too and did not contribute anything. I think its just all a matter of opinion and what someone may think is a good reply isn't to others. Just like you can take this reply of mine to mean anything. Me personally I find it annoying when others talk about topics that I don't think they have any expertise in but who am I to say they cant discuss it? I hope you get my point if not then what ever I wont stress.

Echo I don't know why you've opened another topic for this, when I've seen 2 other threads that discuss just this problem, and this one even has a poll in it and you replied to it. The other one I can't find the link, but I'm sure that there was another post about this. This has been discussed over and over again. :P

I don't like to repeat myself. Here's what I said there:

No!

Do not delete them. Nevermind that they are old and nobody has replied to them, because for one they are useful for SEO and getting traffic from Google and other search engines and thus making profit towards the ads Xisto puts on the special pages intended for traffic that comes from search engines, and for two they can also be revived by new members and given new life so the debate (if it can still be discussed of course) can rise again :P

Also it the MyCents of older members can drop down, and nobody wants that, right? :P

Echo I don't know why you've opened another topic for this, when I've seen 2 other threads that discuss just this problem, and this one even has a poll in it and you replied to it. The other one I can't find the link, but I'm sure that there was another post about this. This has been discussed over and over again. :P
I don't like to repeat myself. Here's what I said there:

I beg your pardon, But I was not the one that started that topic. and I only had agreed with them. and if you will read what I said at the start of this topic you will see it has to deal with mycents and post counts more than old topics. Hence reducing spam.

Surely if moving a topic to a no post count forum wouldn't reduce everyones current counts, I don't see how it could hurt. I think it would help stop some of those posts being brought up from years ago. I personally try to avoid anything from last year even, which is perhaps why I don't do a lot of posting. Only after a topic is brought back will I post more often then not, not realizing it was an old topic to begin with. It would be helpful if something could be done with all the old topics. If nothing else, just close them, if the matter is solved, that way people can still benefit from the information without people posting going "I agree with that" on a topic thats 3 years old... Ya know?

I beg your pardon, But I was not the one that started that topic. and I only had agreed with them. and if you will read what I said at the start of this topic you will see it has to deal with mycents and post counts more than old topics. Hence reducing spam.

OK then. I really think that it's almost the same discussion overthere, but I personally don't mind if you think otherwise. Let's end this off-topic, shall we? :P

Perhaps I'm nuts, but I'm not horrendously bothered if say, there's a topic on... ponies, from three years ago... and someone replies.

Obsolete topics though... they're a different matter. "Oh man! I LOVE Windows 95 too!"