xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Alex's Guide To Pudge Wars

For those of you who don't know I play warcraft 3, and pudge wars is a custom map in that game that is gaining popularity. You are in a small grassy area separated by a river, and you have to "hook" people to your side and try to kill them.

Now I'm not trying to brag here, but I haven't lost a pudge wars game in about 3 months, and thats even 1 versus 5 games, and I don't think that I'm that good at it, its just that I have found the perfect strategy. And I will share that strategy with you now. Now this strategy will only work with version 1.20, 1.19 has a different way hook upgrades work and they screw up this strategy.

So before we begin I will give you an overview of the items.

Posted Image

Grappling Hook

This thing is great if you get into trouble on the enemies side, just remember not to grapple away if you've been hooked by sombody who has level 5 claws, this will most likely kill you if you are low on health.

Posted Image

Tiny's Arm

This item lets you throw things! There are a few bugs with this item in 1.20 I have found that if you buy it third, you loose your range, so make sure you follow my strategy.

Posted Image

Strygwyr's Claws

All the good old claws. These are by far the most effective item in the game. Get them early and upgrade them to the max. Level 5 has rupture which makes these these the best items for early and late game.

Posted Image

Barathrum's Lantern

The lantern adds damage based on your hooks speed.

Posted Image

Techies' Explosive Barrel

Many players like to start out with this one, and they just place them all around the place to confuse and annoy the enemy. It is not a bad strategy, but it is not this one. I've tried mixing bombs into my strategy and it isn't as effective. It's best to tell one of your teammates to do it.

Posted Image

Lycan's Paws

These can be useful when combined with claws, but I have found that they don't help as much especially if you want to go with lantern. If you get them for early game, sell them back soon.

Posted Image

Earthshaker's Totem

This is a new item in 1.20. It allows you to make walls on the battlefield. This can be good for annoying the enemy, but the walls just waste money if you are going for damage. It's another good item for your teammates to get to annoy the enemy.

Posted Image

N'aix's Jaws

N'aix is a good item, the only reason I don't recommend it is because it is so expensive. It's better to spend your extra gold on strength or Tomes of Power.

Posted Image

Ricochet Turbine

Another new item in 1.20. Its good if your team has many walls for you to bounce your hook off of, but otherwise it is just a distraction. You get caught up into trying to bounce your hook off the wall so much you miss many great hooking opportunities.

[hr=noshade]

Alright so now let's get to the strategy. When you first start out, you want to spend all of your upgrade points on your radius and range. If you have one or two left over you can spend a few on damage, but do not get speed yet. Speed will actually hurt your chances of winning at the beginning of the game because you can't run as far making your claws less effective. It doesn't matter as much later because the distance dragged by the claws isn't as much as the amount of damage rupture causes when thrown across the map.

As soon as you can afford it, get Claws, and keep buying them again until you get to level 5. Then get tiny's arm up to level 5 as well. Now I would prefer getting grapple before arm to get yourself out of sticky situations, but there seems to be a bug in 1.20 that causes your tiny's arm range to be significantly less if you buy it third. I'm not sure if this happens if you buy it fourth or fifth, but it is just easier to start out

with level 5 claws, then get level 5 tiny's arm, and then get 1 level to your grappling hook. The entire time you are getting these Items you want to be upgrading your range and radius. This makes it very difficult for people to avoid your hook. After you have level 5 arm this is what you want to do. Hook somebody no matter how close they are, but it's better if they are farther away. Then when they are about one inch away from you while being reeled in, use your arm and click in the minimap somewhere that is farthest away from your pudge. Doing this when they are about 1-2 inches away makes your character throw them the second they come to you giving them no opportunity to run away. The rupture is in effect when you throw them so this will most likely kill them, but later in the game you might also want to send a hook in the direction you just threw them incase they live. Then finally once you have level 5 claws, arm, and level 1 grapple, start upgrading your hooks speed and work on getting level 5 lantern. The added speed will not only add bonus damage to your lantern, but it will give your enemies no chance of dodging your hook. By this point in the game you do not need to run anymore so speed is a good thing to get. The added damage of lantern is more than the extra damage you get by dragging them across the map.

So by this time almost everyone has left because they can't win. You have everything, and the order you bought it let you get a lot of gold to get it early.

[/hr]

There are a few little tips I have as well. When the other team puts up a lot of walls wait until a lightning power-up comes down the river and grapple to them. Continually grapple to them even if you are right next to them, and also hook anybody who is nearby. Doing this will cause chain lighting to constantly attack it and anybody near them, getting rid of them soon.

Also remember if you hook a bomb you can keep yourself from being hurt if you use tiny's arm to throw it right before it reaches you. It won't do any damage to you, but it will use their own bomb against them.

So hopefully this simple strategy works for you in your quest to become the best pudge wars player.

better strat

Alex's Guide To Pudge Wars

Well, for me this strategy won't work against real pros

Ive tried playing pudge wars with me alone againts three enemies

Imagine doing all your stunts for all the three pudges. You would

Have been killed by the time you kill all three pudges..All of them

Would just transfer to your side of the base and behold..You eat their hooks before you even kill one of them.

Well, maybe I'm being harsh, but I say this is a good build in the end

My strategy is just different.Or entirely different, because owning pudge relies on the one controlling the pudge itself.

I focus on damage and naix ALONE. With my strategy, you need skill

You need to DODGE the hooks.Seriously, I do this in the enemies' base.

The technique is to run around the enemies, best distance is up to 2-3 inches on the screen. Imagine it...Try hooking a pudge zigzaging around you.The moment you release the hook, the pudge is already in another place.

PURE Damage + Naix = Heal

Heal = you live longer, you damage more

Damage more while healing = REAL OWNAGE

With this strat, no one can easily kill you

With your strat, youre dead the moment someone hooks you

*grappling hook wont really work, because someone canhook you the moment you reach your destination (no one has ever used a grappling hook properly against me)

Well, in the end, your strat was great, good for owning.But I hope I can play with you next time.Hook me and make sure live..Or else I'll **** up all the life of your pudge :)

-reply by pudge God

Hi, I gues you are not looking onto this page anymore. But I have found your guide, and I think it is very good! I would like to test this strategy and I'm sad the 1.20 is still bugged. Keep up the good work you seem to be very ambitious.

hotti

Well, for me this strategy won't work against real pros
[...]

I focus on damage and naix ALONE. With my strategy, you need skill
You need to DODGE the hooks.Seriously, I do this in the enemies' base.

I enjoyed reading your strategy and I would have to agree that it is very good. However I expect whoever uses my strategy to dodge hooks as well. I'm not insinuating that players should just sit in one spot and let themselves die. Sure if you get hooked over to their side having naix has a greater advantage, but as you said, if you know how to properly control your pudge you shouldn't be getting hooked over to their side.

Hi, I gues you are not looking onto this page anymore. But I have found your guide, and I think it is very good! I would like to test this strategy and I'm sad the 1.20 is still bugged. Keep up the good work you seem to be very ambitious.

I am indeed still active in these forums and still keep up with topics I have started. I'm glad you have enjoyed my guide. Let me know if it works out well for you or not.

If you don't want to spend your gold, looking at the other side of the map, you can build your walls using  Ricochet Turbine on the other side - and you will be able to see around them (works in 1.20 for me) ^^

Good luck in Pudge Warz everyone!!

my strategy tooAlex's Guide To Pudge Wars

ok let me share my threesome strategy... Imagine that 3 I can manage to just score them 0 this will really rock specially in mid games... Ok here iswhat to do first you just need to ups just your hook's speed all in it and lvl 1 barrel(for suicide in case you run out of health) now you are in the game now ok lets say they keeps hooking u just have to do is to evade those, and common sense have a hook also. If u got 1 have a 1 on 1 faight on him with hooks surely his allies will attemp to hook you or pull there friend isnt it?... Just be alert with there hooks, don't let your self to be hook up see also if they gonna hook there friend if that case happens you can have a timing to headshot it. Ok now u have low hp lets say its 200 below now plant down and hit it... There u suicided atleast opponents don't gain exp nor gold... U can do it also when you're have three some on them hitting each other just plant your bomb and hit it just calculate the damage of the bomb compared to your health. Do it all the time and youll own them really 0 score you don't need pots now your in mid game suggested items is tiny's arm barrels and grappling hook, stats must only little range and damage and all speed of hook... Items must be level 5 now... Especially the barrels(lvl 5 it and u can sucide with 15k blast damage) and the tiny's arm musy be lvl 5 too so u can stun them. Grappling if your bombs or your suicide is in CD you can escape thm first and if in lvl u can blink(like magina). If you have enough money to buy lvl 5 stygwyr claw its nice to hook one and throw it after any where surely he stunned. Late game, items are barrels, tiny,s arm, baratrum lantern, stygwyr claw, grapling hook, and naix claw.. Thats the balanced item you can do evething you want in game trust me... Hmmmm sorry my bad english... If you want you can play with me via garena... My id is --duke--

-reply by --duke--