xisto Community
miladinoski

Can't Install Anything Due To An Error after installing a package which corrupted dpkg

I'm encountering errors if I try to install/remove anything — after I tried to install gcdemu via the package manager, because I needed to extract a .mdf/.mds compressed archive as cdemu is the only software I know that does that in Linux. I use Ubuntu in this problem.I get this output of sudo apt-get install -f and sudo dpkg --configure -a :P

CONSOLE
whiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -aSetting up rarian-compat (0.8.1-1ubuntu2) ...update-xmlcatalog: Error: entity already registered with a different value Entity : [delegateURI uriStartString="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;] Old value: [catalog=file:///etc/xml/scrollkeeper.xml] New value: [catalog=file:///etc/xml/rarian-compat.xml]dpkg: error processing rarian-compat (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gcdemu: gcdemu depends on rarian-compat; however: Package rarian-compat is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing gcdemu (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredErrors were encountered while processing: rarian-compat gcdemuwhiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install -fReading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree Reading state information... DoneThe following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: libaudio-dev texlive-base texlive-common libxmu-headers mesa-common-dev qt3-dev-tools texlive-base-bin libsqlite0-dev libosmesa6 libxmu-dev texlive-latex-base liblcms1-dev libpq-dev libartsc0-dev libmng-dev texlive-doc-base libcupsys2-devUse 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 40 not upgraded.2 not fully installed or removed.After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.Setting up rarian-compat (0.8.1-1ubuntu2) ...update-xmlcatalog: Error: entity already registered with a different value Entity : [delegateURI uriStartString="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;] Old value: [catalog=file:///etc/xml/scrollkeeper.xml] New value: [catalog=file:///etc/xml/rarian-compat.xml]dpkg: error processing rarian-compat (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gcdemu: gcdemu depends on rarian-compat; however: Package rarian-compat is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing gcdemu (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredNo apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure. Errors were encountered while processing: rarian-compat gcdemuE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Please help me find a way to resolve this problem and I can stop seeing those darn errors :P Thanks! :P

Did you try deleting the old value? I'm not sure why it just doesn't overwrite the value, but edit the file for the "old value" and remove the relative line(s). And just in case, back up the file before editing:

CONSOLE
sudo cp /etc/xml/scrollkeeper.xml /etc/xml/scrollkeeper.xml~

I solved the error by using the solution found here (it's shortened, because it didn't get to the location if clicked for some reason — seems that that's why rvalkass' url didn't lead to it)

Simply put, you have to do this:

sudo aptitude remove rarian-compat — then hit n for No when aptitude asks you to accept the first solution and accept the second soluton with y // this will remove lots of packages that depend on it and are used by Gnome (take a note of them somewhere), be careful, use another DE like KDE or Xfce when you do this.?

sudo aptitude install scrollkeeper

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude remove scrollkeeper

sudo aptitude install rarian-compat

sudo apt-get install gnome-applets // this will automatically install everything that was gnome related and removed by the first command. If you have other packages dependant on rarian-compat and not installed with this step, use the notes I told you to make when you removed it.

This effectively solved my problem, and I believe it will be gone at you too reader facing this problem, you just need to follow those instructions exactly :P