xisto Community
mrdee

Oyster Card Dodgy

This message only applies to the UK, but this is the place to post about feeling cheated, so here I go:I have an Oyster Card to use on my journeys on the London Underground.As they say: an Oyster Card is cheaper than buying a ticket, and everything goes automatic, so this is the thing to have.However, lately it has seemed to me that the Oyster people think they can do as they please:Last month, when I arrived in my usual Underground station, the gates were open and a big sign said: "Please do not touch out with your Oyster Card, your card balance will be automatically adjusted.At that time I had ?4.72 worth of credit, and ?1.80 should have gone offto cover my journey.I was obviously surprised to see on my next journey that I had only 1 penny left.I then got in touch with Oyster and they refunded me ?2.20. (which did not cover my loss).A few weeks ago, I had ?6.52 on my card again, and while going out of the station, someone touched out at the same time as me.The machine gave an error message, so I touched out again.While it vlearly says in the Oyster FAQ: 'When you accidentaly touch in or out twice, the second touch will be ignored', when I went to work the next day, I tried to touch in, and the machine gave an error message.An assistant came and said 'You have no credit on your card', to which I replied 'I DO have credit', and he said 'obviously not enough'.I then went to the top up machine and noticed I had 72 p credit left, so $4 had magically disappeared.The same night i got in touch with Oyster and got a message back (an auto response), telling me I was going to get a reply within 7 days.Seven days came and went, nothing!!!I then got in touch with them again, this time I did not get a single reply.So, not only have they unnecessarily taken my money, they have also totally ignored my request for assistance.I know I am not talking about a fortune here, but it is a matter of principle, and if that same thing happens to 100 people, that means ?400 in their pockets for not delivering a service.I am now thinking about reporting the matter to Trading Standards, as I feel this is definitely not on.In the mean time, 'be careful and think what you are doing before getting an Oyster Card'.

There have been a huge number of problems with the Oyster card system lately, but there is not a lot London Underground can do - it's so integrated into the network now that to remove it and replace it would be a lot more trouble than dealing with the complaints.Keep track of your journeys, your balance before and after each one, and what you expect it should have cost. That way you can see where they're failing. It also gives you something concrete to go to Trading Standards with. If you can show that they are consistently overcharging you, then it will be assumed they're doing the same to everyone else, and will get a hefty fine.

Woah! Deep man! Somtimes I usually just use a bus pass, more safer than an Oyster, although, I always use my Oyster and nothing happens like that! Imagine if We ADULTS could have free travel too! So simple, so easy, so convienint! Lol, if only!

Woah! Deep man! Somtimes I usually just use a bus pass, more safer than an Oyster, although, I always use my Oyster and nothing happens like that! Imagine if We ADULTS could have free travel too! So simple, so easy, so convienint! Lol, if only!

That is true, using a bus pass is safer but it's made out of paper meaning it can get wet easily or break. They're worth like Ł2 for a one day pass though.

[OnTopic]

How could your money just disappear like that? Maybe you shouldn't put too much on.