xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Using Lan Connection From A Pda ? Is it possible

I just bought a PDA (HTC P3300) .. I noticed that when I connect it to my computer (using the USB cable that came in box), It creates a LAN like connection and the Active Sync synchronizes itself. Now my question is , Can I use my Internet Explorer in My PDA to work with the LAN connection on my PC ?and How can I configure it ?Also .. Is it possible to use the Internet Explorer on my PC to use the PDA connection for internet Just want to try stuff thats all. I have EDGE enabled on my mobile so its not a speed issue, basically my DSL connection is unlimited and I have a Limited plan on my Phone :)

Can you be a little more clear , you want your PC to act as a node and your PDA to act as another NODE ?? so that you wanna browse on your PDA ?? Your aiming at making your PC a Server and the PDA connected to it a Client ??

Can you be a little more clear , you want your PC to act as a node and your PDA to act as another NODE ?? so that you wanna browse on your PDA ?? Your aiming at making your PC a Server and the PDA connected to it a Client ??

I want either PC/ PDA as a server and the other thing as client. I need both the configurations

I think it is possible .. But I am not able to set it up. Could someone help me ? pls

Just refer to you mannual regarding the same , you say that it creates a LAN like connection when you connect it with a USB , that is you mean the connected icon in the task bar in the system tray ? If so that is common when you connect any external devices , for instance if you connect a normal mobile phone with the PC using bluetooth then too you can see that icon over there in the task bar ( system tray ) So all it means is it is connected.Sharing data between the two is possible thats it.

Just refer to you mannual regarding the same , you say that it creates a LAN like connection when you connect it with a USB , that is you mean the connected icon in the task bar in the system tray ?
If so that is common when you connect any external devices , for instance if you connect a normal mobile phone with the PC using bluetooth then too you can see that icon over there in the task bar ( system tray ) So all it means is it is connected.Sharing data between the two is possible thats it.

Are you working in a call center for technical support :P
Manual :P

just kidding.. Anyways

I get a LAN icon whenever I connect my PDA and I even option to configure it just like any other LAN connection. There is just one difference, whenever I remove the device, its gone. Even from the "Network Connections" window

Well normally when a Mobile connects to a PC, It either enables a storage card accessibility or it gives you control over the Modem built on it.

There are other modes also depending on the manufacturer but these are the two main important ones that are there in most of the mobile

Now If I want to access internet using my mobile , I can easily dial a number and access it.

With PDAs the case it different , They connect using LAN.

as soon as I connect My ActiveSync fires up and starts synchronizing.

I just want to know how can I access the internet using a LAN like architecture from my PDA and route to DSL on my computer

settings/configurations/ some software please.

Thanks
Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

I use my HTC Wizard (t-mobile MDA) as a modem for my laptop while traveling. I use a feature that is built in to all HTC Windows Mobile 5 phones, and most other Windows Mobile 5 phones. The feature allows you to use your phone as a modem for your laptop. On older phones, this feature is called ?Modem Link.? On newer phones (2006 or 2007), this feature is called ?Internet Sharing.? If your phone has an Internet plan, you can use one of these features.

The newer feature, ?Internet Sharing (IS),? is definitely the easiest to set up. First, download and install ActiveSync 4.5 or newer from Microsoft?s website. Once that is installed, connect to the Internet on your phone. The easiest way to do that is to just open up Pocket Internet Explorer and browse to google.Com. Once you are connected to the Internet, click on the start button and select ?Programs. ? Scroll down to ?Internet Sharing.? Open the application. Select ?connect with USB.? Click ?Activate.? Now just connect your phone to your laptop with its USB cable. That?s it. Open a browser on your laptop and you should be ready to surf.

-reply by jaysukh

<p>I use my HTC Wizard (t-mobile MDA) as a modem for my laptop while traveling. I use a feature that is built in to all HTC Windows Mobile 5 phones, and most other Windows Mobile 5 phones. The feature allows you to use your phone as a modem for your laptop. On older phones, this feature is called Modem Link. On newer phones (2006 or 2007), this feature is called Internet Sharing. If your phone has an Internet plan, you can use one of these features. </p><p>The newer feature, Internet Sharing (IS), is definitely the easiest to set up. First, download and install ActiveSync 4.5 or newer from Microsofts website. Once that is installed, connect to the Internet on your phone. The easiest way to do that is to just open up Pocket Internet Explorer and browse to google.Com. Once you are connected to the Internet, click on the start button and select Programs. Scroll down to Internet Sharing. Open the application. Select connect with USB. Click Activate. Now just connect your phone to your laptop with its USB cable. Thats it. Open a browser on your laptop and you should be ready to surf. </p>

-reply by jaysukh

Thanks

:D

It works !

Thanks

:D

And it works both ways.

If I don't turn on internet sharing, I can use my PDA to surf the net from my LAN and If I turn on the internet sharing, my PC uses my data connection (EDGE) on my phone

Great.

Took more time than I had imagined but finally it works

and oh btw.. I don't do anything special to use my LAN from PDA. I think ActiveSync automatically does that

Found what I was looking for.
Mods please close this thread.