xisto Community
mrdee

Does Usb 2.0 Require Special Cables To Work?

Hi,here I have a question which I assume to be quite simple (hope I am right).I just bought a USB 2.0 hub, as my laser printer keeps giving me the message it could work faster if I use USB 2.0.I just wanted to know whether I need new (ie. USB 2.0 compatible) leads to connect peripherals to the hub or if my old leads (from the USB 1.1) era will also be able to handle USB 2.0 speeds.Thanks in advance.

I don't think there are any differences with the leads, or if there are they would be minimal. The only thing that makes me think there could be a difference is that the Akasa cable provided with my HDD caddy is marked USB Shielded High Speed, but that could just be marketing.

The thing I am more confused about is how you expect the hub to increase USB speeds. If it is connected to a USB 1.1 port then that will still be the bottleneck, and it will still operate at USB 1.1 speeds. What you really need would be a PCI (or PCIe) USB 2.0 card to put inside your PC.

rvalkass is right.. I presume you have only USB 1.1 Ports on your motherboard. If you need 2.0 speed I guess you'll have to buy a PCI based USB card that can actually give you USB 2.0 ports, otherwise there's no point using a HUB.. :)Speed of USB is based on the Controllers and it cant be increased by adding a hub. You may however add extra PCI cards that give you 2.0 compliant USB ports, or another option is to wait and buy a better motherboard (that is if you are thinking of an upgrade). The extra card is not advisable in many cases since it doesn't give you a true 2.0. Its basically an option for motherboards that doesn't have any USB ports on board. Many a times there are cheap cards that are not even compliant with XP/Vista standards. The wire won't make any difference. Since its telling you already that the device needs a high speed connection, hence it is a USB 2.0 compliant wire. Although I haven't seen any USB 1.0/1.1 compliant wires myself. :)

Sorry, forgot to mention, I am using the old hub I used on my previous PC, which is 1.1.However, the built in USB ports on my PC are 2.0.

If that's the case, your USB ports in your PC will operate at 2.0 "Hi-Speed" transfer rates. Anything plugged into the hub becomes bottle-necked at 1.1, since it seems that your hub doesn't support USB 2.0. That's why you'll see the message that your device can operate faster if connected to a 2.0 port.

No need another cable because all usb cable are same.i noticed that your computer used 1.1 port, so if u connect 2.0 hub, it would only operate at speed 1.1.i confused that how printer can work faster if use 2.0 usb port?actually, cable connected betwen printer and computer is just to tell printer to print. no data flow betwen printer and computer.buy new pci card 2.0 if u willing to do that.