xisto Community
sheepdog

Medical Break Through! Transplant news

Wow, just saw on the news tonight where they transplanted a new treachea into a woman who's trac was destroyed by tuberculosis.That is just SO cool and should bring a lot of hope to others. The neat thing is that she will not have to worry about rejection or about spending the rest of her life on anti rejection drugs, which in themselves are a big hazzard to many transplant patients. They took a trac from a cadeaver and stripped it of it's own cells, and then treated it with the womans own stem cells they had gotten from her own bone marrow and grown for the procedure. I just think that is so fantastic. I certainly hope she does well.

That is pretty amazing to be able to transplant something like that. It is a good idea to remove the cells first though because otherwise she would be attacked by her own cells as they would see the trachea as an intruder or some sort of sickness at it would be irregular to them or unknown. That was one of the many problems of transplants before because if you tried from animals or sometimes from another human, the body would attack itself. I am glad to see things worked out for this woman.

Wow, just saw on the news tonight where they transplanted a new treachea into a woman who's trac was destroyed by tuberculosis.That is just SO cool and should bring a lot of hope to others. The neat thing is that she will not have to worry about rejection or about spending the rest of her life on anti rejection drugs, which in themselves are a big hazzard to many transplant patients. They took a trac from a cadeaver and stripped it of it's own cells, and then treated it with the womans own stem cells they had gotten from her own bone marrow and grown for the procedure.
I just think that is so fantastic. I certainly hope she does well.

I just saw that on the news tonight!
That rocks.
The fact that they can save so many people in the very near future is awesome, and not just the trachea, but all the other parts they are "growing" to help people who had no, or little hope before.

Go technology! :)

Transplants almost always seems a double edged sword due to the body attacking the "intruder" and destroying it and in the process hampering its own regenerative processes. Due to this new breakthrough, many people's lives will be made better. The one thing I am most looking forward to is that one day, people may be able to reproduce, culture and implant/replace nerve cells in the body. As we all know, nerve cells are loners, the body's anti-social friend, and they never reproduce again once destroyed. That is why most, if not all, nerve cell based illness/defects/diseases are lifelong and non-treatable. If people can one day cure those kinds of diseases, well, that is one step closer to having a better future for all of us. On the other hand, I am worried. Some of you may have noticed that for every cure man discovers, another illness/disease comes out along with it......Let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best.....congratz on the breakthrough......all hail stem cells!