xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
daftpunk

Urgent! A Cpu Problem!?

Hey guys this is very weird one day my computer is fine the next day (today)i get this in task manager under performanceCpu usage goes from 70 - 100% (hardware problem)?Page file usage is about 700mb and i set it to 4gbdoes anyone know how to get these lower i need some tech helpand the cpu graph ratings are going off the chart ! :lol:

Which process is using that much cpu power? post it.And do you have up to date antivirus? If not it may be due to some virus, download and check your system for any viruses. Anyway first we need to know the process or processes that are using most of your cpu.

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

Usually its the RAM that causes those spikes, but you should have a look at the processes in Task Manager and see what ones are causing the spike, and of course it would help if you tell us what operating system your running to help narrow down the CPU spikes.

helloim running on windows xp home edition service pack 3i use kaspersky internet security 2009when i open task manager it shows me avg.exe having 50cpu i soon found out this was kaspersky!i paused the kaspersky protection for a few minutes opened the taskmangaerand found that the usage had dropped significantly and now its up around 1-25% and it keeps changing to 25%for some reason i havnt uninstalled kaspersky but i think it is the problem what do you think?

Usually 1%-25% in CPU is normal, especially when you start program or rather start multiple programs at the same time, but at the other end anything 50% or above you may want to look into and see what is causing it. Since you pinpointed the issue my suggestion would be to close as many programs and process (that you know) and then run kaspersky again and if it still spiking at 50% or more then it is a software issue. Of course, usually I hear good things about kaspersky not being a resource hog, but it would seem that is not the case as this version is a resource hog and so you have two options either uninstall kaspersky or increase your RAM to speed up the computer just a bit more.

when i open task manager it shows me avg.exe having 50cpu i soon found out this was kaspersky!

If i remember correctly, that process is from AVG. If you have multiple anti-virus programs running at the same time, they could be colliding with each other, therefore causing the spike you see. However, from my experience Kaspersky was quite the resource hogger. Ah, isn't nice to live without the need of an anti-virus program? :lol:

Yes...As far as I know AVG.EXE is process of AVG antivirus. But I wonder how Kaspersky allowed to install on that system if AVG is there. Kaspersky doesn't allow itself to install on any system that has another anitvirus s/w is installed.
There may be some problem with your kaspersky installation or Do you have any other antivirus or firewall installed?
If you have then uninstall it, clean your registry with some registry cleaning software. Kaspersky conflicts with many antiviruses and firewalls. Anyway if you want a better and light weight antivirus then switch to AVIRA. That is free and uses very light processing power. :lol:

Hey, wait I found a link where someone faced the same problem you have. Here is the link. problem with kaspersky. But sadly no good solution there.

Are you sure its AVG.EXE ????? Coz even I am using Kaspersky 2009 and I dont see any by the name 'AVG.EXE'I can see an 'ALG.exe' and one 'AVP.EXE'the AVP.EXE is a process from Kaspersky.. Are you sure your antivirus is up to date .. ??I'll suggest you download a program called Daphne (google for it) and then run and see what process is using the CPU and where is it located ?Task Manager doesn't do that.. it wont show where the program is running from.. Daphne does that..If its from System or System32 folder inside windows it could be a Trojan/Virus