xisto Community
mm22

Why Is Gmail Still Beta? whats the policy behind keeping a beta version

I've been using GMail for almost three years, probably got it a few months after it was launched. I like it very much, the most out of all webmail systems I've tried.When I started using it I was thinking "OK, that beta will be dropped soon", then I got used to seeing the logo that way. Now I wonder what's the reason to keep the "beta" indication? Is it some sort of disclaimer ("if it loses your mail it's your problem") or just that people got used to it and removing it would mean losing users ("mmm it may soon become a paid service..", I know that doesn't make sense)? or maybe they just have better stuff to do than thinking about that?More in general, how does a piece of software loses its status of "beta"? is it totally up to the developer? are there any standards developers have agreed upon?

Lol, I was wondering that too after using gmail for a while......I think that gmail forgot all about it~!! =) I am not sure......I was just thinking.

In the sense of the word, "beta" denotes some kind of risk involved when associated with usage.Maybe it's still in beta stage because Google developers feel that GMail is not a perfect product. Perhaps it will forever be called beta because it's an ever-changing product.The the other day, I logged in my Google Apps and found new module I can install in my GMail (or google app)--it's called Calendar in my GMail. This module adds quick agenda like calendar events to the side of my GMail. I usually use Google Calendar for simple reminder pop ups but if I forget to open my Calendar, the reminder is only sent via email. But by having small add-on to my side menu I can have quick glance at the next 10 events without opening up my Calendar. A very nice touch, in my opinion.Or, maybe Google calls it beta because they are not quite sure if this GMail, if takes off *LOL*, should remain free or start charging small fee for Google Apps users. Or better yet, because the storage is increasing every seconds it will forever be named as "beta."

Hehe..... Gmail has been out for three years and is still in beta..... Actually, lots of other google products are still in beta too~!! Maybe, so many people are sending bugs and Google is fixing them but is procratinating. Maybe not, but according to http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a3137/gmail-061307/ , It is a debugging process....

Interestingly, I agree more with the "if it loses your mail it's your problem" disclaimer idea. Google's products are generally very very stable but Google puts themselves in a position where they technically don't have to have stable products.

I hope they don't discontinue Gmail, but I guess that's another possibility. They put an end to Hello - but admittedly that got replaced by Picasa.

Learning a few interesting things from your replies... I'll check that "sidebar calendar" out, will have a look at that "beta story" and I've just learned of a product I never used (i.e. Hello) :lol:Maybe the fact Google doesn't have to have stable products is because most of them are free? although you pay for some services, for example if you want to buy more storage on picasa...As for GMail shutting down, I don't see it likely but I wouldn't be surprised if more ads were presents, actually I'm already surprised they haven't put more! guess that's what a lot of ppl love about Google ^_^

You would imagine that anything still under development, patching, or improvement will always stay in beta.I think that it's not exactly what we think when they leave BETA on the GMail header. GMail is part of a suite of online applications that we can use that seems to be constantly in Beta. Just look up at the top-right navi bar of links... there's already a notification for new features! Everything within the Google suite is under development and under improvement, so it would make sense to keep things in BETA until there is a final release where the GMail project (or any of the Google applications) will finally rest as it is.It could also be a draw where people would flock to the BETA version of things to feel like they're playing around with the latest and greatest... and although I can't say that GMail is the greatest online free e-mail client ever, I can't complain much about it either, considering it IS the best one I've used so far. :lol: