xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bluebear

Need A New Camera

Well I am looking for a new camera as I think I have lost my old one. If I mysteriously find it again I will buy a new one even though as my old one is... old, and I want a better camera. The old one is a Sony DSC-W30 - the typical "I just want to shoot decent pictures of my family"-camera. It has been some years since my dad gave it to me. Many of my friends have Canon eos400d/450d, some have Nikon d80/d40/60 or that sort of cameras. I am the typical go-around-and-take-pictures-of-weird-things kind of person, if that helps. I need it to be easy to handle, but yet have extra functions and options. I have a strong feeling that everything is more expensive here, but keep the price under 1000 USD... a lot lower if possible.

IF your budget is below USD1000 according to your country's price, i did say opt for point and shoot for its price vs. advantages. If you want to get the extra edge, entry level DSLR is what you should consider as well. I am not sure how expensive it is for a entry level DSLR kit but you can try to seek out these :-Nikon D40 kit (body + zoom lens)-Canon EOS400D (Body + zoom lens)-Pentax K1000D (Body + zoom lens)Do not bother brands like Sony Alpha as it have seriously unfriendly Menu and button positions.For Point and Shoot, the choices is alot. Before poking around for info, do settle down with a list of features you want. For instance :I want to have a camera that is compact and slim, approx. 5 Mega Pixel, have good build-in flash options and allows me to do continuous shots and have low start-up time.From there, start to shrink, change, expand the feature list and soon you will get the list of camera you want under your budget. Also you should take not of its battery life capacity, sometimes a solid featured packed camera tends to dry up a battery pretty quick than others so do that note on that.

Do you want to give a try on Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T70 and Canon Digital IXUS 80 IS?
One of my friend was asking me suggestions on getting one of this camera...

Both are equally good.
When it comes to stylish look and support, Sony is better.
When it comes to camera brand - Cannon is better.

For first time users... you wont find much difference in image quality and stuff.
Its up to you to select one. :lol:

here is the link for comparison between sony and cannon. still finding it difficult to choose the right one? go read the reviews in websites.
http://alatest.com/

Read the experts reviews here -- http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/dsc-t70/sony-dsc-t70-review.html

Thanks for the help both of you, but maybe I should explain a little bit more to make things more clear. I am doing fairly well with my brothers camera (as seen on the image below), so I am looking for something like that. What I want is to find more alternatives than just this one - so I have more cameras to choose from. My old camera had 6.0 mega pixels, 2.0 LCD monitor (not that I care much about that) and some other things I do not remember right now. It was a very simple camera - and I would like to "upgrade" my new one as well as having more options, if you know what I mean?

My dad has some Leica camera, he loves it but I think it is very heavy and look ancient. The camera is quite weird, though he claim that is a good one. I will not buy one of those anyway. (They are probably above my "budget" and I do simply not want one.)

Posted Image

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

Leica M4 or M6 is the ones your father own i guess and yes they cost a fortune. Leica cameras were mostly constructed by hand picked parts for every mechanical parts. Its lens have solid elements composed for sharp image and near zero distortion.

Your explanation is clearer now. Your options now will settle on entry level DSLRs. I am pro-Nikon user and would like to advice you to settle on Canon ones. One feature that you will like most. It have auto cleaning system that would shake off dust from the shutter plane and the image sensors, so you would not worry on any artifacts that will appear after each image shot.

450D will be my primary recommendation : https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9076353662/canoneos450d . Despite its slightly bigger size than 400D, 450D claimed to be much "friendler" and easier to use menu and it comes with a whopping 12MP. The review should explain the things clearer :lol:.

D60 is my secondary recommendation : https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2254675395/nikond60 . 2 MP lesser than 450D and come with a much straight forward Menu navigation. The specification list should content you. Do ask if you come across any unknown tech jargon ^_^

You sound like you're looking for an entry-level DSLR, fairly easy to use, but it has some extra options if you want it. Every major brand has something good to add to the table, but I personally like my Sony. They include image stabilization in the camera body so the lenses are A LOT cheaper. It's not as fast as the image stabilization in lenses, but I have a steady enough hand it doesn't matter. If you're looking to buy a camera and a few lenses, then you're going to prolly want a sony for this reason. I got a sony alpha 200 and two lenses - a wide angle and a telephoto - for $650. Any other brand, you'd have to pay $600 for two lenses, without the body.I suppose it comes down to what you want. Do some research into the specialties of the different cameras. All I know is that I really, really enjoy my Sony Alpha. It's easy to use and really nice and cheap and fun and lots of useful happiness.Happy shopping!

The entry-level DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera is a good one. I'm assuming you don't want the hassle of film (despite its slight advantages in image quality), and I'm also assuming you're beyond "point, click, print." I would recommend the brands Nikon and Canon. I've used room2593's camera, and it's decent, especially for a beginner. If you are one that enjoys manually setting everything, the Sony's manual focus is a pain. The image stabilization is nice, though.For the average person, I would say the Sony is a good idea. If you plan to do more in the future, I would say don't touch it. And you'll not go wrong with Canon or Nikon. From everything I've found out about DSLRs, they cannot be beaten for quality.Perhaps if price is a large factor, I would go for a point-and-shoot. Canon and Nikon are still excellent choices. I've had great experiences with both.

my idea is to buy one of those phones which has a 5 mp camera. those phones have cameras which are as good as normal cameras plus they have a phone. so rather than buying a phone and a camera just get 1 item. less things to carry around and probably cheaper.

my idea is to buy one of those phones which has a 5 mp camera. those phones have cameras which are as good as normal cameras plus they have a phone. so rather than buying a phone and a camera just get 1 item. less things to carry around and probably cheaper.

Tons of disadvantages on having a high MP camera in a phone. It is not recommended to treat a camera phone as a true camera as the battery life could not upkeep the usage. The purpose of a camera in a phone is for fun. Also, a true camera comes with a price where you can buy a prosumer camera with better handling and features.

Tons of disadvantages on having a high MP camera in a phone. It is not recommended to treat a camera phone as a true camera as the battery life could not upkeep the usage. The purpose of a camera in a phone is for fun. Also, a true camera comes with a price where you can buy a prosumer camera with better handling and features.

i just read in a phone magazine that a 8mp camera phone has been released. i'm afraid and its not a phone with a camera its really a phone and a camera put together. one side of it looks totally like a phone the other side looks completely like a camera with physical zoome and flash and everything. phones have really evolved now. that phone has 16 gb internal memory which is around the same an ipod so basically you have a ipod, a camera and a phone in one item. that is pretty smart you have to admit.

yes there is a price tag but when you think of it this way:

lets say an average phone $250
ipod nano $150
camera $400

=$800 which is around the price of the phone but you get it all in one. really handy.

Technically, yes it works but when it come to long term test, the reviews will tell different unless they boost the capacity in the battery. The memory isnt a problem as long as its a high speed ones. I read about the phone too and following its news about it, the hpye is huge on that one, hopefully it wont disappoint the cybershot phone lovers.