xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spawn_syxx9

Antivirus most efficient antivirus software ?

I use E-Trust from Computer associates.
It is the first program that kept me virus free.
I had trial versions of Norton, Panda, Mcafee and some other i don't remember.
Everytime some virus got in to my computer.
I have E-Trust for 6 months now and still i am virus free.
If you want to check it out you can do it here

Two Cents worth,Have over 30 yrs. in OS programming (DOS, ASM etc.). Have troubleshooted many virus infected systems. Experience shows that the best 3-4 anti-vir systems are:Norton/Symantec (a little tough to use for average user.)McAfee (more user friendly but sometimes a little slow with their dictionary updates)AVG (very good-but need to manually update-like "Hertz" - 3rd place and trying harder.)Kapersky AV ( seems to be a little less reliable but still very good)All these are very good anti-vir programs. Mostly the biggest problem comes with the user getting used to how they work & the program quirks re: updating the virus definitions; synchronization with firewalls; setting the filter/blocking options etc.Have encountered each (all) of these programs missing (not detecting) a virus on an infected system and another one finding it. Have also encountered each of these programs not being able to remove a particular virus and another program deleting it easily. My advice:1) get to know the program U R using very well & configure it properly.2) Install & RUN more than one program on your system - one as a primary (autostart with computer startup) and another as a backup.3) Do definitions updates VERY frequently. (every 3 days a new virus appears on NET)4) Get rid of IE browser; just way too many vulnerabilities and it'll probably NEVER be fixed.5) Put in & USE a firewall. (67% of a netsurfers do it naked WO any firewall at all-LOL)Hope this helps.PS- "If you want a totally safe computer, leave it in the box"- unknown but famous quote.Hope all this helps

So my AOL keeps telling me that I need to download a new anti virus. It keeps giving me McAfee, but I have heard that they aren't so good. Which anti-virus progs do you people use that you feel is the best?

doubtless, kaspersky anti-virus or bitdefender

i use kaspersky for most 5 years. that's cool and powerful ..

i have tried many antivirus software like norton, kaspersky, nod32, bitdefender, mcafee, avg, avast and so on.based on my experience. i can conclude that:norton - good, but need a lot of RAMkaspersky - best virus database, but slow startupbitdefender - same as kasperskymcafee - seem like virus database not good as lkaspersky.avg - worst virus database, i hate itavast - same as avg, not recommend to usenod32 - good virus database , fast startup , low memory. nod32 ,antivirus which using now. like me, all of u hav installed antivirus, can u giv opinion about antivirus ?

Ha, One more antivirus topic... :lol: OK..Actually I am not using any of these. I am using Avira Free Antivirus. Avira is very light weight antivirus, means it uses very low resources of your system. It won't install all the crap like that comes with paid antiviruses. So, your system will be faster. And daily updates are available. I don't like any of the paid antiviruses like Kaspersky, McAfee etc...Because, free antiviruses are providing the same level of protection, and many free options available for spyware detection and firewall. And also you cannot install most of these paid antiviruses if you have another Antivirus software installed. For example, Kaspersky...If you have another antivirus installed you cannot install KAV. It will ask you to remove that Anitvirus. Once I downloaded a trail version of this KAV and tried to install and it gave me the worst experience that I never faced with any software. I had tried Panda antivirus, McAfee etc (trail versions)...most of them used 70% of my resources. So, I kicked them away...Free antivirues are better in my opinion.AVG is a nice free antivirus except it uses most of your system resources.

Ha, One more antivirus topic... :lol: OK..Actually I am not using any of these. I am using Avira Free Antivirus. Avira is very light weight antivirus, means it uses very low resources of your system. It won't install all the crap like that comes with paid antiviruses. So, your system will be faster. And daily updates are available.
I don't like any of the paid antiviruses like Kaspersky, McAfee etc...Because, free antiviruses are providing the same level of protection, and many free options available for spyware detection and firewall. And also you cannot install most of these paid antiviruses if you have another Antivirus software installed.

For example, Kaspersky...If you have another antivirus installed you cannot install KAV. It will ask you to remove that Anitvirus. Once I downloaded a trail version of this KAV and tried to install and it gave me the worst experience that I never faced with any software. I had tried Panda antivirus, McAfee etc (trail versions)...most of them used 70% of my resources. So, I kicked them away...Free antivirues are better in my opinion.
AVG is a nice free antivirus except it uses most of your system resources.

I use AVG and I think its a really good anti-virus it cleans out any trojan virus I might get in my PC. You gotta be joking right? Norton is ratest the most rubbish anti-virus out there!!

I disagree, Avast antivirus is an amazing antivirus, it uses minimal resources and it does what it needs to, im not going to lie its virus removing capabilities are not amazing, but as for catching the virus before it does what it needs to is good, and besides there is no better anti-virus than windows restore utility.I've only ever had one virus, people who get virus' regurlarly should not be let near a computer