xisto Community
Lyon2

Google Pays $125 Millions To Resolve A Suit Google, Authors and Publishers Settle Book-Scan Suit

News: Google, Authors and Publishers Settle Book-Scan Suit
Source: https://www.wired.com/2008/10/google-authors/

The Authors Guild plus the Association of American Publishers (AAP) and Google itself announced a settlement of a lawsuit back in 2005 about its book-scanning, and the ammount of the "settlement" was 125 million dollars ($125 millions), and that it just only another suit google has on its hands, or better, had, and 125 million dollars is not a small ammount of money!

Google has many suits to resolve, especially one from viacom of 1 billion dollars, obviously of another matter, but also about copyrights infrigement and so on.

The opportunists will try to take money out of google if they start to see that google will pay to "resolve" every suit it has, what do you think?

You are quite right harrison858, google with its book scan project was indexing content of books that google do not have copyrights, and that could also be considered as stealing, big time, although i guess that google did not want to steal, nonetheless they did use technology to scan copyrighted material, namely ebooks.

Yup, they probably broke the rule thats stated on the book:

- "Exept as permitted under the United States Copyright Act, no part of this publication may be reproduced or distributed in any form by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without prior permission of the publisher."

They should've contacted the publisher, and even if they did contact the publisher, I would'nt think they would allow google to store it in the database.

What i still do not know is that what will google owners do with all the content they indexed from all the ebooks of the authors/publishers?I mean, the book scan google project was to crawl and index ebooks content to help people get the information they were searching after, although the project itself did not have the required authorization of the ebooks authors/writers/publishers, and despite the fact that google does not need to steal to make money, the book-scan project does not have ethics, just like the youtube.com website that google bought without caring to know that they would have also copyright infrigement suits.Google made great businesses, most of them very good and proper to the google company and especially to its future plan of owning/managing the internet, but the book-scan and youtube projects google had did not go with the ethics that i thought the google owners had.

You know what's funny? We had a job site at Google in Massachusetts... at one of the book-scanning centers. :) It's pretty crazy how there are dozens and dozens of machines, all linked up and equipped with scanning software. People that work the machines literally turn the page, have the scanning equipment "take a picture" of the pages, then the person flips the page again. It's such tedious and boring work... and I can imagine how they can turn out a couple of hundred books a day. That's a lot of copyrighted material... :P I'm assuming that Google will be creating an online library of sorts, to include but not be limited to the classics, encyclopedias, popular literature, and possibly new books in the future. They might allow free access or offer access for a small nominal fee. However they want to do it, it would be more than awesome, and I'm sure there will be tons of praise as well as critique for the project.But that's just my speculation.

They have the money, thats for sure. But they've got to be careful compaines don't try and exploit them. As you said, if companies know Google will pay to "resolve" issues many compaines will use this to their advantage.

That is right forbez, google did a bad move by paying off to resolve once and for all this suit, they would loose the suit for sure but at least they should had fight to win, unless google owners and layers thought they would pay millions without the setlement.Google opened a door now to every company that google violated authors/publishers rights by using copyrighted material/content without their consent/authorization, so now there will be a lot and lot and lot more suits to come, do you want to bet forbez? Just for the fun of it?

So i guess this may reflect to all people who are under google adsense . Because they may slow down the payment to normal adsense subscribers . Already i have heared people telling that Google simply eliminates certain number of adsense accounts as fraudent clicks and i dont know how far thats true, may be if it is true the number of eliminations may go higher

nirmaldaniel, i do not think this suit and the book-scan project has anything to do with the google adsense or google adwords, plus i do not think it will afect in any way the google adsense users nor the google adwords users too, i just can not see your point ov view in your reply.Please explain it better, your point of view, so then i can understand it because right now i can not understand a bit, sorry.