xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bjrn

Passwords How do you keep track of them

why dont you use autofinish on your browser? I think browser use it but if yours dont i know avant browser does. I suggest downloading avant and using the autofinish feature and it is very secure. all of teh passwords that it uses are encrypted until you use them so its almost totally hackproof, but nothing is ever hack proof so its the most secure tha ti know of. good luck remembering them if you dont use this feature. :P

why dont you use autofinish on your browser?  I think browser use it but if yours dont i know avant browser does.  I suggest downloading avant and using the autofinish feature and it is very secure.  all of teh passwords that it uses are encrypted until you use them so its almost totally hackproof, but nothing is ever hack proof so its the most secure tha ti know of.  good luck remembering them if you dont use this feature.  :P

43070[/snapback]

i think you're missing the point of this topic. if you don't want anyone to use your passwords and compromise your profile, then why are you saving them for use by anyone, anytime?

if you go to a website, and its in your browser's cache (my parents always look in the cookies folder), and you save that password onto your browser, who's stopping everyone else from going to that site and logging on and invading your privacy??? (nobody, that's right!)

another problem with saved passwords is that there exists special software that can de-hash those hashed passwords! if somebody is really dedicated, they'll find a way.

personal story: i haven't been acting really good in school lately. i usually don't do my homework. so my parents eventually took away the internet password (god, i HATE manual internet login)! yet being the geek i am, i found a way to get online without knowing the password. it only took me a few minutes!

now that was without knowing the password at all. now, who is going to stop someone from getting on when the password is given to him or her?

I'd be a little late by then, no? The other day I read about a guy who's ex-gf had got rid of all his cash and equipment on some online game he was on all the time. If something like that happens it's a bit late to say "well, now I can decide what to do".

did he sue...??? did he do anything about it? obviously not.... so then he has no right to complain!

And calling a plain text file you have anything containing the word "private" is just like marking a doomsday button with "do not press", you won't be able to count to ten before someone's pressed it.

i didn't say to leave it on the desktop. :P plus, what's the problem if its password-protected???

you know what, actually, i take it back. i'm wrong. not because of internal security, but because password files are exactly the kind of thing that spyware looks for. nevermind, my bad. don't put password in the name...

And then you come to the conclusion that if you want to protect your passwords you can put a password on your passwordfile. Which is exactly like using a program like Password Safe or Passpack, except with a text file your file will be password protected, but not encrypted. And you won't have a password generator handy, or sorting options.

Basically, what I am saying is that I don't understand why you would use a textfile for storing passwords...

42934[/snapback]

i don't see why you would have to wait for a password management program to load when you can have a half-a-kb simple text file load in a split-second...

This tools are all too complex to use.Think about it: when you would input password , you must found it from another software. I simply leveled my password, some unimportant site use the same password, and important use another one, very importane use the third.It works fine.

i don't see why you would have to wait for a password management program to load when you can have a half-a-kb simple text file load in a split-second...

43080[/snapback]

The program I use is passpack as stated before. It is very simple and is only 15kb. It actually loads just as fast as notepad if not faster. I don't see why I would leave passwords lying around for people to find. Saving passwords in notepad is possibly the worst thing to do. Anyone who hacks your computer can then easily get access to everything. With an encrypted file, they can't do anything with it.

I know that your told not to, but the way I find the easiest to remember all my password is to use the same one for everything , I know this is un-secure but i have a siv like memory, and i cant be bothered to remember so i take the easy option.

I just use what comes with my compputer... It automatically saves all my passwords... for next start up.... fire fox saves your form information and passwords automatically I think. So that is pretty good.... I use to use some password thing but my cousin found out loads of my passwords and did very bad things.... lol

42600[/snapback]

Becca that is not a happiest solution. If someone hack in your computer, or if you get a worm from somewhere, all your passwords will probably be captured and reported to someone, and That includes websites passwords, like: pwd from Xisto, paypal, cpanel...etc... The best and the safest solution will be to keep it all in your head. Anywas some other solution will be to get yourself PGP (pretty good privacy) it's not hard to find it just little gooogleing... and encrypt your data files (*.txt) or any other document where you write your passwords, with it. It's a secure, and safe, oh another thing, if someone still get his hands on that encrypted file you are still in good position because cracking an pgp encrypted file should take (on average P4 comp) about 2-3 years. So, you got enough time to change passwords annualy. :P

yeah i used to use a universal password for everything. now i only use a universal one for sites that i couldnt care less if somebody knew the password :P

43080[/snapback]

Well, I can just click on a shortcut, enter my passphrase and have all my passwords, easily sortable and gettable. The program might load a fraction slower than notepad. With your solution I'd have to trawl through who knows how many nested directories in which the password textfile is "hidden". I wonder which method would get me my password the quickest.

I just write them inside one of the pocket of my wallet. Pretty hard too see unless someone knows where to look. Not the safest of things, but quite convenient.

i used to try and rember them all but since have gotten lazy, i use about 3 different passwords and rotate them so if i try one and it doesnt work i move onto the next. my largest problem is sometimes rembering my user name at one specific site. at home to keep track of my passwords i just use firefox's password manager

I use the same pass word on mine most of the time but i have changed them up befor i have had to change them latly because i got hacked and some one took my Passwords but one thing i do is e-mail all my pass words to my selff thats helps if i forget one i have also put them on paper and put it in a spot i can rember but i mean i rember most of my passess and if its on my own site thers sql lol um but on other sites i just stick with the pass i have most of the time

Edited by football123213 (see edit history)

First I saved them on notepad, my format:

http://somesite.com/
username
password

Yeah complicated I started going to many different places. My site alone is 4 accounts and passwords, Xisto is one. I go to many other boards but only record the passowords for the most important ones and the ones I like. I had a problem with notepad, bad format. So then I started recording them in Excel >______________> yeah I understand it better.