xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
EdgabtheGreat

Free Instant Messaging Looking for a Free Instant messaging Solution for Company

Hi All,I am looking for a free solution for instant messaging within an organisation, I would need to set up a server and deploy client software to the entire company. I have had a look at Openfire Server and Spark client it uses Jabber. I have started installing a Fedora Core 9 Server to run some tests on and see how Openfire and Spark work. I need the server application to stop users sending and recieving files externally and also set predefined groups within the IM environment. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or other Jabber server/client applications.I will post back here once my testing is complete.

I have done some testing on this and it's not as easy as it looks, first of all I tried setting up conference rooms within openfire, that seemed to work fine until I tried to add user groups. I was looking to add users by groups instead of each user manually, but it seems as though there is no support for LDAP groups. There seems to be a way to group users in LDAP using Organisational Units instead of groups but this would mean that I need to restructure my Organisational Units to support Openfire and not the other way round.Also Spark cannot be configured as easily as using a group policy. Apparently there is a way to limit the user from changing settings but it means editing a config file then rolling it out to all the client PC's and then making that file read only so the users can't make any changes.It seems like alot of work at the moment that I don't have alot of time for. I had a look at the forums on ignite's website and they are planning on making openfire compatable with LDAP groups in the future but group policy doesn't seem to be on the list at the moment.Maybe it's worth waiting for, hopefully you still don't have to pay for it once all these changes have been made.

The company I worked for deployed office communicator last month. It seems to work really well. I personally didn't have any part of the set up but I know alot of the IT guys there. Marambra pushed the new software and it does allow groups as fars as I can tell. Plus the voip serivce is also good and it the permissions are set for us for internal only.

Thanks for the post but I'm looking a free solution. :PBut you showed me something I never knew existed Microsoft Communicator Server 2007 and Microsoft Office Communicator.I wonder how this compares to other VOIP solutions such as Cisco and Avaya. :)

Are you *needing* instant messaging?I would assume that IRC would be a great system to go with. It's not instant messaging, per se, but it is a great system that allows you to run your own server, have a centralized chat room, PM each other(Instant messaging I guess), send files to one another, etc.I would go with that due to the ease of use, customizability, etc. on it.

I am looking into implementing an IRC Server but looking for something that is easy to set up and has a GUI. Does anyone have any advice on this as I'm not too familiar with IRC or linux for that matter :) I had a look at IRC servers and clients and have been overwhelmed at how many clients there are and which server to download. I am looking for something free to run on Fedora 9. It has to integrate with active directory and it should be completely managable from an administrator point of view ie. giving the clients access to only what they need (If there is a way to break it, users will find a way :P ) I would also need a way to roll out the client to all the Windows XP pc's.I know its a tall order but i'm sure something like this exists, so far the software that comes closest to my needs is Ignites Openfire and Spark.

Yes, IRC Would be a better choice that IM as rpgsearcherz says as it will be easy to use and maintainIt is also user friendly.

IRC is your best bet here. that and using something like Pirch-98 is the way to go. There you can make a chat room, and make it private and free for you and your company.

Good luck