xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Toshiba L20 Laptop

At the beginning of 2006 (I know it's two years now) I purchased a laptop it was a Toshiba L20 laptop. It's Stats were good and it came with another 256 Ram. At the time I was looking for a laptop around $1000 (AUD) and this one was about that. Shortly after about 2-3 months after purchase I noticed that the lid (or screen) was very tight to move, and made noises. I contacted Toshiba and they assured me that was normal. A friend who is in IT professionally said that it wasn't right. Some 10 months after I bought it toward the end of 2006, the screen joint broke.

Posted Image

That is the joint pictured above, Where it broke is very difficult to explain, underneath the plastic surface there is a joint made of some alloy where the brace on the screen/lid puts its weight when you open/close it. The actual brace broke. which meant that you cannot open/close the lid. I got on the phone to Toshiba and they said that the case wasn't covered by warranty. I could understand if it was damaged I caused, but it was a manufacturing fault from the start. The brackets where the lid bends were way too tight. A computer repair man told me this when I asked him to look at it.

My advice, If you do not already know do not buy a toshiba laptop with a lid like this one.

At the beginning of 2006 (I know it's two years now) I purchased a laptop it was a Toshiba L20 laptop. It's Stats were good and it came with another 256 Ram. At the time I was looking for a laptop around $1000 (AUD) and this one was about that. Shortly after about 2-3 months after purchase I noticed that the lid (or screen) was very tight to move, and made noises. I contacted Toshiba and they assured me that was normal. A friend who is in IT professionally said that it wasn't right. Some 10 months after I bought it toward the end of 2006, the screen joint broke.

Posted Image

That is the joint pictured above, Where it broke is very difficult to explain, underneath the plastic surface there is a joint made of some alloy where the brace on the screen/lid puts its weight when you open/close it. The actual brace broke. which meant that you cannot open/close the lid. I got on the phone to Toshiba and they said that the case wasn't covered by warranty. I could understand if it was damaged I caused, but it was a manufacturing fault from the start. The brackets where the lid bends were way too tight. A computer repair man told me this when I asked him to look at it.

My advice, If you do not already know do not buy a toshiba laptop with a lid like this one.

will definitely keep it in mind

anyway i'm going to buy a laptop in a couple of months

thanks for the advice...

Hmm, Dodgy laptop i think toshiba is a bad make try iMAC or the really thin one! its cool or else buy the VAIO i hear they are very reliable and pretty cheap for what you get! Hope this helps ya!!

Yeah I've switched to mac. Macs are great. My next one will either be a macbook pro (only got a macbook) or one of the new ultra portable pcs probably running linux. The way its looking im thinking ultra portable because my ideal macbook for $5,000. Or $5,200 if I want the 17 inch screen. For the moment I think ill go for the ultra portable option at the moment. I haven't got the five thousand odd dollars spare.

Well, this actually happens on all Laptops and is not spacific to Toshiba or any other make.I have worked in a computer repair shop and have seen all makes with the same problem. Going to a MAC is a big change Microsoft and you should think about with you are going to use the laptop for before buying any laptop.Toshiba are one of the biggest makes in the world and probably one of the best for the money.Sony is over priced and only Sony is able to repair the laptop if some thing goes wrong.All I can say is good luck

i have a toshiba laptop currently. its not one of those ones but i'm not that happy with it. its not THAT slow but its not exactly fast. its a tablet pc so it has a tablet pen but the hole which the pen goes in on the side is very tight (it used to be fine) so its really hard to get the pen in and out. you are meant to be able to just press the button on the top of the pen and it would pop out but know you have to pull it out. its quite anoying. also the mousepad sometimes screws up so that is also bugging me.