xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kingjim007

What Is My (power) Problem?

Hey all:I have a problem with my desktop. I have replaced the PSU a few times but now have a new problem. When I turn on the power the green led on the asus motherboard glows green, but it is a dull green and I cannot power up the machine. After some time (30-60 secs or more) it turns bright green and I can power up.Then sometimes I am in the middle of working and the power will just reset. When the computer boots up it starts loading the drivers then reboots again and keeps doing this so it keeps rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting....you get the idea.Diagnosis? My dad said maybe there is a micro fracture in the motherboard-makes sense as I have driven 1000's of km's across Australia from Melbourne to Darwin with the beast in the back seat. The psu is plugged into a UPS so I don't think power supply is a problem. I thought maybe a coil or diode or something (I don't know much about electronics) is on the way out and takes a while to store power.I am thinking to replace the motherboard but wonder is there any way it could be the case-the reset switch is kind of stuck so I don't use it. Also I have kicked the case on more than one ocassion due to frustration and threatened the computer with more voilence. This usually results in it sulking for a while then behaving itself for a short time....then back to bad behaviour and more threatening and voilence from me....it's a viscious cycle.Please help or I think we will both end up in therapy.KJ

Hey all:
I have a problem with my desktop. I have replaced the PSU a few times but now have a new problem. When I turn on the power the green led on the asus motherboard glows green, but it is a dull green and I cannot power up the machine. After some time (30-60 secs or more) it turns bright green and I can power up.

Then sometimes I am in the middle of working and the power will just reset. When the computer boots up it starts loading the drivers then reboots again and keeps doing this so it keeps rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting and rebooting....you get the idea.

Diagnosis? My dad said maybe there is a micro fracture in the motherboard-makes sense as I have driven 1000's of km's across Australia from Melbourne to Darwin with the beast in the back seat. The psu is plugged into a UPS so I don't think power supply is a problem. I thought maybe a coil or diode or something (I don't know much about electronics) is on the way out and takes a while to store power.

I am thinking to replace the motherboard but wonder is there any way it could be the case-the reset switch is kind of stuck so I don't use it. Also I have kicked the case on more than one ocassion due to frustration and threatened the computer with more voilence. This usually results in it sulking for a while then behaving itself for a short time....then back to bad behaviour and more threatening and voilence from me....it's a viscious cycle.

Please help or I think we will both end up in therapy.

KJ

If you are using an Asus motherboard My guess is it could be a motherboard problem. Not necessarily due to the distance you've travelled but may be a manufacturing defect. If possible get it replaced . . But before doing that try checking it with an alternate PSU.

It could be that your PSU is not able to handle the load of all the system devices .. You haven't specified what all you have in your cabinet along with the Motherboard :lol:

and what exactly is the power rating of your PSU.. Try a bigger PSU , It could be one of the reasons

and

If this also doesn't fix it .. you can beat the crap out of your system ^_^

I have something like this happened beforemy computer (desktop) the power supply does not run or fan, so the CPU can not be powered up. So I changed the power supply and that time, after using for several days, the problems arise again, though the power supply is new but it is broken in several days, which then I brought to the same technician. They check it all, and test the processor voltage, they say the processor voltage is abnormal by their diagnosis, the caused of power supply to be shocked and break is because of the processor, after changing processor the problems stop.That time I used amd athlon xp 1,6+

a similar thing happened with my old desktop about 3 years ago. It was a p4 1.5ghz one. But the point is i had not travelled.on a careful analysis of the m/b we noticed burnt out circuits.now i have got my electrical connections checked and i'm using a ups.micro fracture can be a possibility. Just open it and check once. It might take half an hour or so.

Thanx guys.I don't think the psu is under powered as it is 600w. I have gone through a few power supplies so the idea the cpu voltage is out is worth checking. Sometimes I overclock my cpu's I can't remember if I have on this one, do need really its a Pentium D 3.4. And the Russian guy who sold me original Asus said "azuzz never fail!"I mean they are a pretty reliable board. How would I examine the board with a big magnifying glass? I guess I could go down to the local computer shop and barter some repairs, I have a couple of 19' CRT's he might take, I bought one off him the other one I picked up at a lawn sale. I have so much computer gear here, I collect it from work when I replace stuff.....*sigh*Nah stuff it I just wanna smash it :lol:KJ