xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lightning73

Have You Ever Had To Teach Someone Else?

I was wondering if other people, below black belt, ever had to teach other people. Sometimes I have to teach others when the teacher is too busy to come to the training. I really don't like teaching, simply because I believe I'm not experienced enough to be doing so and I don't want to take the responsibility for teaching them stuff that's isn't completely perfect.Luckily I always have a girl friend that helps me out when I have to teach. Because it's mostly small children I have to teach, and I'm not that good with a big group of small children :lol: Furthermore, I sometimes also just teach people stuff when they want me to help them, but that's usually only 1-3 people at a time. ^_^

I was wondering if other people, below black belt, ever had to teach other people. Sometimes I have to teach others when the teacher is too busy to come to the training. I really don't like teaching, simply because I believe I'm not experienced enough to be doing so and I don't want to take the responsibility for teaching them stuff that's isn't completely perfect.
Luckily I always have a girl friend that helps me out when I have to teach. Because it's mostly small children I have to teach, and I'm not that good with a big group of small children :lol:

Furthermore, I sometimes also just teach people stuff when they want me to help them, but that's usually only 1-3 people at a time. ^_^

I have to teach my friends at the dojo all the time. I have tons of friends who only joined 'to have some fun' after a hard day's work and don't take learning very seriously... My teacher is oblivious to their lack of care and blames their sub-par results on the fact that they don't understand the fundamentals.... So sometimes i am told to look after their progress when he's not around....
Training five people at a time is not very fun when all they want to do is see who can throw the other person off the mat first...They end up just pushing each other until one gives.
Heh, so i guess i can understand how you feel....My friend's act like kids half the time....

I have been an instructor for nearly 20 years now thus have taught a lot of students. Teaching others is a requirement in our class to even test for black belt. For us achieving a black belt is not just about having the physical skills needed to perform the technique and kata. It also about knowledge, understanding, leadership and maturity. If one can do a kata well it is obvious they know the kata. to teach a kata well one has to understand it.

yes many times I have had to teach or show someone how to do this or that. The way that I see things is like the old saying, give a man a fish he will eat. teach him how to fish he will never be without food. Or something like that.

I think a person who does not have a black belt can teach others too. To teach someone something you have to be good at one thing (or a few things)As an age old saying in kung fu goes. I am not afraid of the thousand kicks that you practiced once, but I am afraid of the one kick that you practiced a thousand times". So, if you are master of one it is good enough to be a teacher in that field. I think all instructors take help of someone who is not really a black belt.