xisto Community
travstatesmen

Problem With The Trap17 Forum Inconsistent links and problems with Latest Activity

Hi, I have noticed a bit of a problem with the forums here on Xisto. I don't know if this is a problem with the Xisto implementation, or with Invision Power Board in general, or with a mod that is running on the forums here, and I'm sure that someone smarter than me can isolate the source of the problem.

What I have noticed firstly is that the link that is generated in the top right corner of a post within a thread, the link to that particular post (I'll call that the linkback link), sometimes links to the post itself, but often just links to the thread. This is rather annoying if you are trying to create a link in a new post that links to another particular post. For instance, I see two different URLs when I hover my mouse over the linkback link at various times. One of them uses the full ?showtopic= &st= &gopid= search method, while the other just uses /forums/page-2-t58399-s10.html# (for example). It really seems to be dependent on how you get to the post in the first place. If you use the "Last Post Info" or "Latest Activity" links, they generate the linkback link differently to just navigating through the menus normally.

In a possibly related problem, I have noticed that the links in the "Latest Activity" panel at the bottom of the page only link to the thread, and not to the post. Also the links in the far right column of the forums.html page, the "Last Post Info" column, only seem to link to the thread, and not to the post. This is despite the alt text clearly showing as "Go to the first unread post: %thread_title%". I have tried marking all threads as read and then waiting for somebody to post and using the "Last Post Info" link, but it only ever takes me to the first post in the thread, not to the last, so I end up having to navigate through the thread to find the last post.

I have checked my Board Settings under /forums/my-controls.html and there is nothing there. I always have my thread display mode set to Standard. I don't think the problem is with my use of the forums, but is a problem the forum itself, or the mods being used, or something. Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by travstatesmen (see edit history)

That's fairly weired. The forum works perfectly fine for me, I don't see any of these errors or problems.Sometimes IPB has a few little bugs and glitches, nothing major to worry about. It'll be fixed soon. IPB rarely has many bugs, but IP.Board 2.2x have a few at some of the most odd times.Get the bug-free version of IP.Board. :) Download IP.Board 2.3.5 and upgrade. :DI know we can't upgrade because of some mods, skins, and file edits. :)-Sky

Hi, I have noticed a bit of a problem with the forums here on Xisto. I don't know if this is a problem with the Xisto implementation, or with Invision Power Board in general, or with a mod that is running on the forums here, and I'm sure that someone smarter than me can isolate the source of the problem.

What I have noticed firstly is that the link that is generated in the top right corner of a post within a thread, the link to that particular post (I'll call that the linkback link), sometimes links to the post itself, but often just links to the thread. This is rather annoying if you are trying to create a link in a new post that links to another particular post. For instance, I see two different URLs when I hover my mouse over the linkback link at various times. One of them uses the full ?showtopic= &st= &gopid= search method, while the other just uses /forums/page-2-t58399-s10.html# (for example). It really seems to be dependent on how you get to the post in the first place. If you use the "Last Post Info" or "Latest Activity" links, they generate the linkback link differently to just navigating through the menus normally.

In a possibly related problem, I have noticed that the links in the "Latest Activity" panel at the bottom of the page only link to the thread, and not to the post. Also the links in the far right column of the forums.html page, the "Last Post Info" column, only seem to link to the thread, and not to the post. This is despite the alt text clearly showing as "Go to the first unread post: %thread_title%". I have tried marking all threads as read and then waiting for somebody to post and using the "Last Post Info" link, but it only ever takes me to the first post in the thread, not to the last, so I end up having to navigate through the thread to find the last post.

I have checked my Board Settings under /forums/my-controls.html and there is nothing there. I always have my thread display mode set to Standard. I don't think the problem is with my use of the forums, but is a problem the forum itself, or the mods being used, or something. Any ideas or suggestions?

It's not a problem really and this done by a mod that makes absolute links, meaning that instead of a long url with a bunch of numbers you get a topic title. This is used for SEO and getting a forum index with the help of topic titles within the url itself. As for the pop up link you get when you click the post number that is how the actual link looks like.

As for the Latest topics and posts basically that a way to show current topics that have been posted or posted on. again its another mod that is doing this and so to get to the last post you have to go through the maze of forums and then click on the last post by link to get there with that little box icon next to the topic title. Of course, this is a good to help generated your reply by check out the other posts and even reply to the people within that topic.

Their is no problem with the forums that's how it was designed and or modified by the admin.

What I have noticed firstly is that the link that is generated in the top right corner of a post within a thread, the link to that particular post (I'll call that the linkback link), sometimes links to the post itself, but often just links to the thread. This is rather annoying if you are trying to create a link in a new post that links to another particular post.

Is this the Post: #4 link in the top right of posts? I shall assume it is.

For instance, I see two different URLs when I hover my mouse over the linkback link at various times. One of them uses the full ?showtopic= &st= &gopid= search method, while the other just uses /forums/page-2-t58399-s10.html# (for example). It really seems to be dependent on how you get to the post in the first place.

This is because the link you get when you hover over that link is not a link to that post. The link you get when hovering is a link to the page you are currently on, and runs some JavaScript - hence why it is dependent on how you get to the page in the first place. If you click that link, you will get a link in a standard format that will lead directly to the post.

For example:

Hover: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/60957-problem-with-the-Xisto-forum-inconsistent-links-and-problems-with-latest-activity/?t=60957#

Click: A window pops up displaying the following link: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/60957-problem-with-the-Xisto-forum-inconsistent-links-and-problems-with-latest-activity/

You can also use the post ID (the bit after &p=) with the post link BBCode:

[post="408473"]Post[/post]

In a possibly related problem, I have noticed that the links in the "Latest Activity" panel at the bottom of the page only link to the thread, and not to the post.

Well, this makes sense for the Last Topic links, but not for the Last Post links.

Also the links in the far right column of the forums.html page, the "Last Post Info" column, only seem to link to the thread, and not to the post. This is despite the alt text clearly showing as "Go to the first unread post: %thread_title%". I have tried marking all threads as read and then waiting for somebody to post and using the "Last Post Info" link, but it only ever takes me to the first post in the thread, not to the last, so I end up having to navigate through the thread to find the last post.

I have no idea why it does that :) I assume it just lists the "last modified" topics (for want of a better expression) in descending order, but doesn't do any work to find out what the last post was, and generate a link to it. I think that maybe the extra database queries etc. might make it take too long to load...?

I have noticed that sometimes it uses a .html extension and sometime a php page. It makes no difference to me, as long as I can post, and be part of this great forum I'm happy. :)