xisto Community
FreedomOverdose

How Do Violent Video Games Affect Children?

dude thanks 4 ur help i don't no how u guys find the time to type this stuff down anyway thank it's really help my mini assignment set b our teacher Mr Merret so thank's alot cya's ;) also u guy's r the best :D

I believe kids do have a certain reaction because I noticed a kid playing violent games with blood and everything and he seemed to enjoy it!!

I'm sure that if parents would interact more with their kids they would be more happy, aware of dangers and would understand what violence effectively is if someone explains it to them. I've read something online about some projects, such as "Games for Health Project", aimed to to support parent and child interaction. Here is a very nice example of it: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
gameshare

Well, I've heard lots of arguments about this case. Personally, I think it depends on the child. Everybody's different. But my most favorite comment about the video games affect children is this:"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -quoted from a Nintendo CEO.:)

I Love playing video games. They give me something to do when im bored at home(when im not cutting the lawn or trimming trees). However many of these new games are extremely graphic! Will that affect our children? I think it does and im more ways that one knows. To children, a game is just a game...its a way to waste time, its a way to relaxe and have fun. But to others, a game tends to to the center of ones concentration. Many people believe it doesnt harm their kids, while the more ignorant ones believe that the kids can choose which game they want to play, even if it means he can kill his nighbor or decapitate that woman on the street. Does it affect them? Of course it does? Even if they know its not real. For example i have never gone to c a movie( for example the fast and the furious)and never heard someone not say "man i want a car like that one. Lets race with our little dodge neon or chevy cobolt and lets c if we can make our car drift". Even in Superhero movies such as batman and spiderman, kids are at the edge of their seat punching the air(the bad guy on the screen)in hopes that the good guy wins. Sounds innocent, but his heart has already been stained. But what does that have to do with Videogames? Well the difference between a movie and a game is that in a movie, the writer and his crew already have everything finalized on whats going to happen, but with a videogame, we put our children in the television set to control his very actions. Sounds stupid? In reality its not! Name me one kid who at first glance at a violent graphic game says, "thats gross", but two weeks later hes grown addicted to that "gross" reflex to a certain stage that the sight of murder no longer bothers him. Il tell you this much, if you notice your child gets very angry durring a game and then he gets up and kicks a chair to take it out, its too late. I could go on and on...but play time is over...ive got work to do. Maybe instead of trining our kids to kill, we can trin them on how to make this wolrd a better place to live and cut out all the violence.

Well, like the first few posts says. If you tell your children whats the difference of reality and fiction, the're ok, but not completly. Its not the gore and blood. Any game can inpact a change on your child. Sims or even Minecraft. I'm 16, I'm a (hard core) gamer, I get in the 80%s for exams.

Research has shown that children who play violent video games have an increase from 3-15% in violent tendencies. Such as Micheal Breen who shot and killed his class mates. He had never shot a gun before, but due to his excessive game playing turned himself into an expert marksman. There are many other examples of this. However, I do not blame it on the children. I put the blame on the parents who allowed it. They should have been more attentive to what their children do. That doesn't mean a child should be allowed to play any game they choose. Watching tv and playing violent video games show that the children in the studies done have lowered proficiencies in reading and so forth. Get off the games and be more interactive. This also helps prevent obseity.

Research has shown that children who play violent video games have an increase from 3-15% in violent tendencies. Such as Micheal Breen who shot and killed his class mates. He had never shot a gun before, but due to his excessive game playing turned himself into an expert marksman. There are many other examples of this. However, I do not blame it on the children. I put the blame on the parents who allowed it. They should have been more attentive to what their children do. That doesn't mean a child should be allowed to play any game they choose. Watching tv and playing violent video games show that the children in the studies done have lowered proficiencies in reading and so forth. Get off the games and be more interactive. This also helps prevent obseity.

Different people react differently. While it may have some effects on some, with others it will have no effect. I find it hard to fully "blame" games for people's behavior.

Having worked with young children in a school environment for many years it is so apparent that to many children lacking a parent to talk with them about violence in these games that some young children do become violent and have violent thoughts and actions following an evening or weekend of exposure to these games. There is no doubt after reading journal entries, witnessing playground fights and having to deal with the violent outbursts as these children act out what they've witnessed, that for many children these games should not be allowed. It is frightening to hear their thoughts of what they want and plan to do, their lack of respect, compassion and concern for pets and other children or adults. Very scary also when they have parents that do not concern themselves with the adult content of the games the children either play or sit and watch their parent playing. I see it on a weekly basis.

Although I agree with your opinion, your pros and cons are absurd. A child has an undeveloped mind, too undeveloped to think that killing is normal. I don't think it will scar the child for life, (unless the child has a sort of mental illness) of course not. Children that have parents who can tell the limit of how far to go when it comes to violent video games or video games in general are those who should be able to play them, but parents who can't limit their children re also those who we have no right to control until it's too late. Shop keepers have begun to stop asking for IDs, so 10 year old children can purchase video games that are high over their level. The violent video game contreversy has progressed to a control question in which we have to think about who will control children who can't control themselves or don't have parents to control for them. Another question that comes up is what about the parents who can't say no to their child? As absurd of an idea this may seem, think about it. If a mom has been noticing how well their son has been doing in school and the child has continually been asking for Grand Theft Auto, what's stopping them from buying the game for their beloved child? Aside from the control issue that the parent is most likely not going to address, nothing. Many parents may be protective of these statements, but think about it. If your child wanted a new toy would you get it for them? Probably. If your child wanted Manslaughter would you get it for them? Right now you may say no, but later your opinion might be different. If you have gone through this and resisted, kudos to you and in your personal case I take it all back, but in many parent''s cases, they would buy it for their child. Other parents may put no thought into that answer whatsoever but figure it's just another cute game or fad. It'll go over soon. A small percentage also deserves to be addressed, those who choose to not even look at the material, but just introduce it to their children. These are the types of parents who scare me. Those who don't look at it themselves but instead give it to their children for no particular reason except because the game is accessible. The child sees the content you don't...Those are the ones who scare me.What it comes down to is self control. Some children can control themselves, and some can't those who can't may mask that they can't handle it and that's when the parents have to take on their biggest challenge and see through their child. Those parents have to say 'no' no matter what emotions may battle them because that would be an emotional battle they'd have to win. Saying 'no' is something that all parents have to do in many situations and they are not alone. If your child plays violent video games excessively, try to calm the addiction although a little won't hurt them. It's candy, don't overdo it, guys.

I think the only problem with games is that they haven't gone more bloodier, just more graphic. It shows how the people who make it aren't actually doing it- but technology. And, how can violence be ignored- it's happening in real life. Games seem to just enchant the gamer- the affect only happens to the will of mind- the power to actually be affected and into the outside world.

I think it really does depend on the child if they actually get negatively affected by violent video games. Although I'm quite sure that some of our kids who are addicted to video games may possibly have trouble having good grades in school. I am not against parents who let their kids play violent games, but personally I wouldn't recommend it for my kids, not unless they're in the right age to play them (probably when they're 15 y.o. and up). Depends really.
There's actually a link between having behavior disorders and video game addiction. Some children do actually find playing video games therapeutic. Personally though, I still stand with making sure my kids avoid playing violent video games. It's better to be on the safe side than regret something later on.