xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lightning73

Add/adhd, Do You Think It's A Disability?

As the title suggests, do you think that ADD/ADHD is a disability or actually a gift?
Since there are advantages to having it but also disadvantages.
Sometimes I think it's great to have so much energy that I can keep going all day long, or use hyperfocus to finish a task. Feels great. But at other times I just hate being unable to sit still or concentrate on something boring.

I especially liked this video on youtube about ADD/ADHD: The TRUTH of My Disorder

Oh well go ahead and say what you think about it, because I'm interested in knowing.

Although I know a little bit about ADD and ADHD I don't see how you could get any advantages with it, of course I know there are gift people who have this and so they are very smart but they have a hard time putting it altogether and what not. I wouldn't really call it a disability in the sense that it curves the learning process because I haven't heard to much about incapacitating someone because of ADD or ADHD. Of course the only method they have come up with those is cocktail of drugs and what not and just like any medication if you miss one day it reallt wreaks havoc and what not.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I think that "disability" is a subjective word. It depends on the perspective of the person who is afflicted. This applies not only to ADD/ADHD, but to all disabilities. Take, for instance, the deaf community. Many people who are deaf have great pride in being deaf, and in fact some see those of us who are not hearing-impaired as being the ones who are "disabled". You can have an impairment of some sort, whether it be a physical or an intellectual disability, and it may affect you very differently to somebody else with exactly the same impairment. Not only are there varying degrees of impairment (the old "I'm deafer than you are" scenario), but also the attitude of the individual to their impairment varies with personality, environment, upbringing, and a host of other factors. A great example of such variety amongst the disabled community is the idiot savant. While being disabled by such a developmental disorder, the savant may have a particular skill or talent that he/she is critically acclaimed for, and may even become famous, giving a positive lifestyle, wealth, etc, that many who are considered "able bodied" could only dream to attain.

I don't think its a disability, I have ADD and I can focus, I can sit still, I can get things done, I don't see why people make such a big deal about it. I was actually put into a private school with 40 students because people knew I had ADD, and they thought it would be better for me in that school. Its the same as before, just less people to talk to. Or socialize with.