xisto Community
burgen

Future Os Concept

well thinking about what you said, every computer is a client, the thing is to have them all as servers as well, would be stupidly hard to network a load of servers. plus you would need a domain server, i suppose for internet hosting it would be done, for for an internal network or gaming LAN you could do it, but it would be easier to stick to the one server and the clients connect to it.

Okay now the OS of future should probably keep in mind about 5 things:1. Streamline and very lightweight on resources2. It should probably have 2 different modes user friendly and advanced since most user friendly interfaces are hell to try and get to the advanced stuff and advanced is well no advanced if you know how to used advanced interfaces it usually your better off.3. The current technologies that are to do with network detection and self configuration and self-diagnosing/troubleshooting are very crap and very resource heavy.... eg. vista coming in at 6000 tons..... thats just for the whole os damn thats over weight. SOOO they should probably streamline the program as well as make it actually a working system.4.It should probably have an easy server action but I think to maintain the streamline of the os you should have to select it on installation. So that may bring an era similar to what windows is already doing different levels of the os package. FULL or JUST Standard without Server.5.security seems to be a big thing but no matter how hard you try crackers and hackers will continue to be existent and while humans are making OS there will be fault or a way to get through the security. so maybe the security should be kept separate and installed separately.6. No I have no idea what this would cost to develop and market no doubt it would be an expensive os... but... if it displayed huge promise.7. Also the biggest problem that has plagued the OS world is the fact that each os could use each others programs.... incompatibility issues essentially with programs.... so even though a early system of multi compatible os would be killing the streamline of the os but some smart coder could probably find a way to make it very streamline and bugless. So the OS should be able to use programs made for mac, linux, windows and some of the smaller OS's. Since initial release of this os would be very hard to market and sell because of the amount of economical drain it would have on the company.8. OS SHOULD BE BUGLESS ON RELEASE AND DEVELOPERS NO MATTER HOW BADLY YOU THINK THE PUBLIC IS GONNA HATE YOU BECAUSE OF A LATE RELEASE THEY WILL HATE YOU MORE FOR BUGFUL OS BUT WILL LOVE YOU FOR BUGLESS OS.9.I don't no much about how different languages are created but maybe they should make a multi-spanning assembly language so that it codes friendly to X86 and also can code friendly to C++ and somesuch. And thats about all a OS should have in the future but since my list of thing probably would never happen due to the major economical drain of creating something like that as well as the riskiness for a company.

Future OS

Future Os Concept

(WARNING I AM A NEGATIVE PERSON AND SOMEWHAT POSITIVE)

Well as many of you have mentioned the future os will need to be really secure and crap. As well as the internet should be fast and stuff like that.

To my opinion the future OS should have something better than the Internet. A really Good Application Launcher and Tight as hell Security system and everything should be compatible.

(Off the subject)"I have decided to come upon working on a Application Launcher for the iPhone. Apple has released the SDK and if my program does well then I'm no doubt going to try to make it for Mac OS X and Linux and Windows."

As scientist say we are using the internet all wrong. We should I think first focus on All the bug issues with the internet and somehow make them better, then make every Computer a server.

We should as well make a system so easy to use that we won't have to worry of not knowing how something works.

I don't go with the idea of 3D desktops because it might seem great to see beautiful scenery, but what's the point people aren't going to be on the computers 24/7. The Computer might have revolutionized the world, but I can't become a world as many of us hope. There's a line of reality and a dream that is to good to be true. One is ours the others for computers. We can't escape our problems in reality and except them to go away, and we shouldn't it just makes things worse.

The Future OS should not even have a desktop if we won't to make it simple. Why should we have desktop when we can have a small Application launcher is I mentioned I'm making or a simple Menu like the one on the PSP and PS3. There very easy to use all the PS3 need's is a office program and a way to allow Windows Mac and Linux programs run on it and we have found the most perfect OS on earth. One that is beyond simple to use and won't be too complex for users.

-Just my thoughts.

-reply by Rakan Rabayah

Has been done...Future Os Concept

The future OS outlined here has actually been done - it is (was) called Plan9. The whole point of this OS is shared resources and does so very efficiently - It has for example been used in HPC on the IBM BlueGene.

The hardware support and the user interface are quite modest (to say the least!) but it IS working in exactly the way you outlined it (and perhaps Glendix will fix the hardware compatibility stuff and if it attracts more users, perhaps even a more pleasing interface ;) )

And if you only were talking about sharing files and not resources as such, one could ofcourse also mention the Google vaporware...

-reply by jens