xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
innosia

The Only Reason I Choose Ms Sql Server Rather Than Mysql

The only reason i choose ms sql server rather than mysql is, MS SQL has more security features!!MySQL is lacking a lot in my opinions- Lack in wide char, like nvarchar, I developed some application to support chinese letter, and dont know how to build one in mysql- Lack in t-sql syntax, like query in query is not fully supported- Does not have today SQL features like BI support (today really required)And compare MS SQL to MySQL, the only reason why mysql is favourable is- it is free!Dont u guys agree?

Unfortunately, I can't agree with the sweeping statements you made:

(1) MySQL has had wide character support since October 2004 (MySQL 4.1) -- http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/charset-unicode.html . So, it is simply a matter of using the correct character encoding and options when using MySQL.

(2) T-SQL is a proprietary extension specific to MS SQL and Sybase only! You cannot use it with Oracle, DB2, PostgreSQL, MySQL or almost any other production database. That is like saying that MS SQL doesn't support PL/SQL, although the latter only exists for Oracle DBs.

(3) Is BI business intelligence? If so, MySQL adheres to the open-source philosophy of making a tool that is excellent at one task, not okay at many different ones. There exist a number of BI frameworks and tools that exist on top of MySQL. A list can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ , and includes almost every major BI tool in existence.

(4) It is free for unlimited servers across unlimited systems connecting to unlimited users.

So, I would argue that there are many more reasons to use MySQL than not, even in a windows only environment.

Regards,

z.

I've done most of my work with MS SQL Server and I see a lot of features. However, there's usually a catch to the functionality that they provide.

I once tried integrating MS SQL Server with a MySQL database using the Linked Server feature. I used the MyODBC driver and the OLE DB to ODBC provider to setup the Linked Server. However, I was unable to perform DML on the MySQL tables using DML and I was unable to access columns of BIGTEXT type. It was quite frustrating at that point, as I was relying on MS SQL Server Linked Servers providing me with the functionality I needed.

I also find the lack of Natural Join a drawback because it really would speed up development when joins are required and the columns have been named to facilitate the use of Natural Join.

On the positive side, I find a lot of functionality useful in MS SQL Server - there's the SQL Server Agent that I use to schedule activities on the database. SQL Server Integration Services makes importing and exporting data to other OLE DB databases a breeze (but, there's no ODBC support if you are exporting TO an ODBC database! You can however, import from an ODBC database).

The only reason i choose ms sql server rather than mysql is, MS SQL has more security features!!
MySQL is lacking a lot in my opinions
- Lack in wide char, like nvarchar, I developed some application to support chinese letter, and dont know how to build one in mysql
- Lack in t-sql syntax, like query in query is not fully supported
- Does not have today SQL features like BI support (today really required)

And compare MS SQL to MySQL, the only reason why mysql is favourable is
- it is free!

Dont u guys agree?