xisto Community
StonedMetalJewelry

To Get Started With A Website

If you percieve some constructive critisism

Constructive? No.

Insulting and discouraging, yes.

Starting a message with "do you really think people will buy" my crap? They might. I'm willing to risk it.

Nobody wins if we don't encourage eachother. I'm staying on the forums because other people have been encouraging and very nice about giving advice.

Now go do your homework and leave the business stuff to the adults.

An online jewelry shop doesn't always have to have customers buying its products online. The website could also work as an online catalog, if a persons has likened a particular ring or necklace he or she could just call the store to purchase for more inquires or visit the store if he or she wants. this way he/she could as well save time travelling to the store. instead of going there only to find out that there is no jewelry that they would like to buy.

42191[/snapback]

There are LOTS of online jewelry shops. Tons of jewelry passes through eBay, I'll bet if you put it all in a truck there really would be literally tons.

Problem is, we don't have our own store. If we did, that would be cool, but we live very near places where tourists visit, so gift shops and places like that are a good option for us. My b/f has been out of business for 2 years for cancer treatments, and he's getting back to work now. I've offered to help with marketing. I know I have big ideas, and I have to be careful with OPM (other people's money). I'm researching and asking questions, and peeking at other jewelry sites. There's so much out there to look at, study, and I'm just asking questions on these forums.

Your suggestion to make it more a catalog, is where I'll start because I'm nervous about shopping carts and OPM, but I also don't want to lose sales by not having an easy option for people who want who want to buy.

:P so much to learn! Thank you

I personally think it's a good idea to try this, and it's fun for you to make it work too...and about the houses example: yes, some may just view the houses and never return, but some view them and get interested <especially when it's not very expensive stuff you're slling> and may visit the real store... I like the fact that you are willing to take a risk for this, it's like an experiment: you may have luck, and it may fail, either way it's a fun project to do (else you wouldn't do it would you?)I think if you just use a basic html page (maybe some easy php scripts in it...) and for example the agora shopping cart system or another system like that, it could look professional. one tip:put alot of pictures on it, and an easy way to view them all, when viewing websites, the most fun thing is to view pictures of what they have (computer example) and then consider buying something; in the real shop, or online using paypal or anything. good luck with it :P----i agree to StonedMetalJewelry for the attacking thing, it's like no9t9 doesn't want him to start with it. lets just give him some advise and try to help him, let him take the risk, he'll find out if it fails, and if it works: good for him!

I personally think it's a good idea to try this, and it's fun for you to make it work too...and about the houses example: yes, some may just view the houses and never return, but some view them and get interested <especially when it's not very expensive stuff you're slling> and may visit the real store...
I like the fact that you are willing to take a risk for this, it's like an experiment: you may have luck, and it may fail, either way it's a fun project to do (else you wouldn't do it would you?)

I think if you just use a basic html page (maybe some easy php scripts in it...) and for example the agora shopping cart system or another system like that, it could look professional.

one tip:
put alot of pictures on it, and an easy way to view them all, when viewing websites, the most fun thing is to view pictures of what they have (computer example) and then consider buying something; in the real shop, or online using paypal or anything.

good luck with it :P

---
i

Thank you ! yes! this is what I'm saying! Encouraging and good advice.

yes, I like basic html, with frames, I am comfortable with that. My challenge at the moment is taking pictures of jewelry. I have to catch daylight I guess for the digital camera.

I like some of the ideas here for showing them, but I have some work to do there for sure.

Thanks again, and keep warm - it is below ZERO here !!!

BRRRRRRRRRRRR ------

About taking pictures: Make sure you have something nice to put the jewellery on. Since you already have a "real" shop that shouldn't be any problem. But trust me when I say that a piece of jewellery layed out on a nice piece of velvet or something like that is going to sell much better than a piece of jewellery on a white background. Just as in your real shop, presentation is important.

This is why I thought you should get someone else to fix the site for you, because in your first post you said you knew "basic HTML", from which I assumed the worst. But seeing that you've already done a site before this you might very well be up to the job.

So since you are going to do this yourself I think I'll throw in this advice. All of this is my personal opinion, take it or leave it:

Get the "viewing" part of the website done first, let people visit the site and see all the nice things you are selling. When that's done, put it online. And then you can start making the online sales integration. And when that's finished you put that part online.

And don't put "Under construction" anywhere on the site. And don't put "soon feature this and that will be online". Either it's done or it isn't, and notices like "under construction" are okay if you have some maintainance that it going to put something offline for a day. But unless you can say "X will be done on the first of may" (just an example) don't put up a note about it.

Having said all that I wish you the best of luck. And don't hesitate to ask if you're stuck (as long as it's not completely stupid questions like "What does <br> do?"). :P

Yah i hate 2 say it i would do that 2 or use one of teh preinstaled scripts such as PHP-Nuke really good program and you can custoim masie it to your liking

Hey,  Thanks for the advice, but one reason I'm embarking on this project is to learn a new hobby!  I have built a different kind of website, for a non-profit agency, so the hosting was donated, and the design donated by me.  I'm not new to the whole concept, just to e-business. 

Letting someone else do it isn't my style.  Buy a girl a fish, and you'll have to keep buying the girl a fish every day.    Teach her how to fish, and she'll have all the fish she needs and some to share.  It's a skill I want to have. 

But thanks anyways

42023[/snapback]

Yah i hate 2 say it i would do that 2 or use one of teh preinstaled scripts such as PHP-Nuke really good program and  you can custoim masie it to your liking

42430[/snapback]

Oh yes, shortcuts like this I like alot. I don't intend to build the shopping cart and storefront from scratch. When I said I wanted to build the site myself, I just meant I don't want to hand over the whole project and have someone else put it all together. I'd be paying someone to customize those scripts, and still providing the photos and all that much of the work myself anyways.

.................and I'm beginning to feel like I'm spending more time talking than doing :P

I'll check out PHP-Nuke for sure, I'd heard of it but have not looked at it yet.

Thanks!!

About taking pictures: Make sure you have something nice to put the jewellery on. Since you already have a "real" shop that shouldn't be any problem. But trust me when I say that a piece of jewellery layed out on a nice piece of velvet or something like that is going to sell much better than a piece of jewellery on a white background. Just as in your real shop, presentation is important.

Well I don't have a "real" shop, the business is making the stuff in a spare room set up as the studio, and selling it to freinds, co-workers, and taking some around to local shops - we live near lots of gift shops.

We do have the black velvet though, and picture taking has been a challenge because I've been trying to do this at night after my regular day-job, in poor light. Now it is the weekend, I'm going to try again in good daylight.

This is why I thought you should get someone else to fix the site for you, because in your first post you said you knew "basic HTML", from which I assumed the worst. But seeing that you've already done a site before this you might very well be up to the job.

Well I call it "basic" html becaue compared to the xml and scripts out there, wow. The site I did before looked a little less professional, but only because I had students working on it too, and it was student artwork and such that was the graphics. But it was clear it was a student/teacher effort, so when you know that, the less-than-perfect graphics are forgiven.

Get the "viewing" part of the website done first, let people visit the site and see all the nice things you are selling. When that's done, put it online. And then you can start making the online sales integration. And when that's finished you put that part online. 

So, you're saying, work in phases?

Phase one, make it pretty, but not selling yet.

Phase two, sell by sending checks or using their own paypal

Phase three, incorporate a shopping cart

?? This is what you mean? Sounds manageable this way.

What does <br> mean? (hahahaha just kidding)

Right now <br> means BBRRRRRRRRR it's COLD and we're getting a bunch of SNOW tonight!

So, you're saying, work in phases? 

Phase one, make it pretty, but not selling yet.

Phase two, sell by sending checks or using their own paypal

Phase three, incorporate a shopping cart

42449[/snapback]

Yep. I think it has several advantages. First of all, working in phases means you won't be overwhelmed with work. You get a nice chunk of work to do, and when it's finished you can put it online. You get clear goals, and it always feels good to get a piece done.

Secondly people who visit your site will always see something that's looking nice and finished, instead of lots of things that are nearly finished.

I recommend mk portal mambo portal and phpWS, php nuke have problems with creating new pages and links so I recommend those above :PYou have many modules for all of them, php nuke 7.6 is not free and this sucks because is not so god B) mambo is much better and mk portal but it's your choice :D xoops is not bad but have same "problems" like php nuke with linking and new pages, you can create only modules :D

First, let me clarify: we're not making jewelry just to have an online store. !!! Just the opposite - the jewelry business is already there, the website is another potential outlet. We're not selling engagement rings for thousands of dollars, we're selling cut, pounded silver, and semi-precious stones & beads. Some of it is art and some of it is simple beadwork. I shouldn't have to explain this in order to ask a few questions about building a basic website. I had already decided to use Paypal until I learn more. I know my way around the internet and know that I also would not put my credit card number into an unknown void in cyberspace. Thanks for your advice. and the answer is, yes, I expect people to buy jewelry online. I don't however expect YOU to buy jewelry online. There are people who will and people who won't. It's an experiment, I'm not expecting to get rich here, as I said - it's one more POTENTIAL outlet.