xisto Community
electriic ink

How To Extract The Audio From Youtube Videos get an mp3 file from youtube

Yes, electriic ink, what you describe works, but is there no a simpler way?

Rather than using two different programs to do the downloading and the extraction of the sound track afterwards, would it not be a lot simple to use Youtubedownloader, a program which does exactly the same as the one you mentioned, ie. it downloads videos from Youtube, and it does so as a .flv file, however, after downloading, with the same program, you have an option of converting the file to whatever you like, which are (if I remember it all correctly) .AVI, .MPEG2, .MPEG4, .GP3 (for mobile phones and Ipods), there might be more formats, I don't remember exactly, but there is also an option to take the audio from the downloaded video and to convert that to a number of formats (I believe .mp3, .wav and .ogg, not sure on all of those).

I have experienced in the past the converted .mp3 files sounded OK, and you could even set the bitrate you wanted.

Not that I want to run down the possibilities that other people are using here, after all, we all have our own preferred way of doing things, and the one I mentioned is the way I usually do it, I just had a thought it is easier to do it all with one program rather that downloading the film with one program, then opening another one to do the extraction/conversion while you can do the whole job with using two simple steps in one handy and easy little program.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)