xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
csp4.0

4870x2 Vs Gtx280

4870X2 vs GTX280  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So... I've come to the point where I have to choose which graphics card is better...The AMD ATI HD4870X2 or the nVidia GeForce GTX280...On paper, the 4870X2 beats the GTX280 by far (you're comparing like 2.4teraflops to 1 teraflop, and 1600 stream processors to not even half that number), but in gameplay, it says different... There is little to no difference in Crysis, there's little difference in many games...But the thing is... Which card is better? Don't talk about price difference as here (In Australia) the 4870X2 is only AU$50 more...But remember, gaming is not the only thing I do... After seeing some 3DMark Vantage results, the 4870X2's beats the GTX280's...I render in 3ds Max, keep that in mind... So the thing is... which graphics card is better?I've never been a fan of slapping 2 GPU's next to each other and saying "BAM! A new graphics card" but ATI needs 2 GPU's to fight off nVidia, whilst nVIdia only needs one...And also the fact that the newer Generation nVidia cards have PhysX built-in while ATI graphics cards don't...My friend even suggested which graphics card looked better! :) So... People of Xisto (Xisto'ers) what graphics card is better? (not in teraflops) but in other words, which one should I get?EDIT: Keep in mind, that the reason why I don't just go and buy the 4870X2 is because I don't like dual-GPU graphics cards... makes me uneasy... But the 4870X2 is too much of an offer to pass up...

Edited by csp4.0 (see edit history)

I would say GTX280. Solid drivers, better OpenGL respond and Autodesk is pro-nVidia. If i am not mistaken they are coming up with a performance drivers for 3Dsmax in the future. ATi is a good choice but the X2 flavor may seem to be too "expensive" to run on as you MAY have to change your PSU, your casing just to fit in the gigantic card. I am not sure about GTX280 on it size but according to some users, they claim that it is slightly smaller than the ATi.

I'm starting from scratch... I have no desktop at the moment...hmm... But considering I just checked prices for the 4870X2 and the GTX280, I can probably get two GTX280's for the price of one 4870X2 plus around about AU$150-AU$200...My decision has suddenly swayed A LOT now that you mention Autodesk favours nVidia... and that nVidia has better OpenGL support...

Ah, since you are building a new computer from scratch, still i prefer GTX280 :) Just make sure you get a true power PSU that have around 500w + and a casing that have sufficient space for the card and the drives. Make sure the drive doesnt "lean" to the card. Best casing to date for me is Cooler Master CM690.

I am starting to dislike Nvidia. especially after what they did to their GeForce 9 series.God knows what struck them , everything was fine till the 8800 GTX :)NEways.. ATI HD4870X2 should be able to outperform GTX280. I believe AMD is better in their theory and practicals than Nvidia. While Nvidia only targets the performace factor AMD also targets the Quality thing.

The thing is... I agree nVidia only targets the performance factor and nothing else, really...I mean, come on! ATI's 4870X2 has 1600 stream processors! It's fabrication process is better. It uses more power (which is a bad thing though... :))Now, the 4870X2 has basically won. Unless there is any 'GROUNDBREAKING' evidence to make me possibly change my mind, its the 4870X2...

The thing is... I agree nVidia only targets the performance factor and nothing else, really...
I mean, come on! ATI's 4870X2 has 1600 stream processors! It's fabrication process is better. It uses more power (which is a bad thing though... :))

Now, the 4870X2 has basically won. Unless there is any 'GROUNDBREAKING' evidence to make me possibly change my mind, its the 4870X2...

Good Choice.. You wont regret it.. You'll be needing a good power supply though. I'll Suggest you go with a 1000Watt Modular power supply.