xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kingjim007

Are Beagles Good Dogs? My wife reallllly wants one

Does anyone have experience with beagles. I heard they can be quite destructive and need to be exercised a LOT. And if you get one you have to get 2. I owned a Basset hound but I think they are different.Any experienced Beagle people's comments would be much appreciated as I was thinking about a smaller dog but the Mrs is super keen :)KJ

I don't own a Beagle myself, but a close friend does. Teddy is a very well mannered dog. He is a wonderful companion for my friend. However, I do believe that barking/baying is a usual trait of this particular breed. Teddy does not do it often, but when he gets started it is hard to stop him. Then, I feel that a dog reflects his owner. By this I mean that the owner has a lot more influence on the dog's behavior than heredity. Beagles are rather active dogs and require daily excersize.

Maybe you should give some thought to finding a dog that fits your situation and needs.

Finding the Right Breed of Dog for You

If you are really sticking with a Beagle.

Read This

Good Luck!

Oh thanks I will book mark that-very helpful.I used to have a Basset I think they like howling too...must be the hound :)My wife will love that site so thanks for that!KJ

When chosing a family pet, remember to consider that the breeds original purpose is. Beagles are a hunting dog. And many beagles are still being used to hunt, so the instincts are still very much intact in the breed, unlike other breeds that have been bred away from their original purpose to make them more acceptable as pets. Beagles of course, bark, they are supposed to do that to let you know they have found and are following prey. (rabbits in most cases.) And as hunters, they like to hunt, and are bad to roam around looking for rabbits. It will take a very securely fenced yard to hold a Beagle. Beagles are a bit slower to accept the concept of housebreaking than other dogs. They can be a bit stubborn about training, they figure they allready know how to hunt, what more could you possible ask for?? :) The good news about Beagles, they are generally very kid friendly and very tolerant of even smaller children. And since they are still considered a hunting dog, they are generally healthy and hardy. The short hair coat does shed, but there is no need of fancy grooming like there are on so many other breeds. As for needing 2, a lot of that depends on how much time you plan to spend with your dog. If you are gone most of the day to work and have an otherwise busy life, it is good to have 2 dogs to keep each other company, but this is true for any breed.

beagles are good dogs but it really just depends on the owner. i like them though i've never owned one. if you want a beagle get it don't be scared!