xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Microsoft To Add Privacy Features To Ie8

WE all know when it comes to browser security, Internet Explorer is king, king of being the most hacked browser in the world that is. However, this article also shows how far behind Internet Explorer really is when you find of what Microsoft has in store for its latest Beta IE8B2.

Another new feature aims to address a shortcoming in the way the current version of IE lets people delete their browsing history. When a user deletes their browsing history today, they also get rid of cookies that are used to save preferences tied to Web sites that they might visit often.

With IE8, users can delete their browsing history but retain the cookies for frequently visited sites. The implementation for this will be a bit clunky for users, however. To make sure cookies are retained for certain sites, users will have to add those sites to their Favorites list. After that, the cookies for those sites will be retained when the browsing history is deleted.

firefox and opera already do that but better, especially on the fact you don't need to book mark the websites in order to stay logged in. so hopefully they fix that by the time the final version comes out or when Internet Explorer 9 comes, then they be caught up to Firefox 2 and any older version of Opera.

However, I do like that InPrivate Browsing concept though:

With InPrivate Browsing, one of the new features, a user launches a new InPrivate Browsing window to go online. When the users closes the window, IE doesn't store any cookies, passwords, words typed into the address bar, search queries, temporary Internet files or form data from the browsing session.

I say that next generation browsers should look into "Off the record" browsing, especially for schools, libraries, business, banks or anything else that requires high security. Of course the only downside to this feature would be that it owuld become a nice little target for spoofing, phishing and malware/trojan attacks if the code is disected properly.

Nonetheless I am more curious as ot how they fix the javascript, ajax issues and how well they are become standards complient as well. Although thye should great promise in standards compliency they tank at javasript and Ajax and so I might check out Internet Explorer 8 beta 2 just to see what has improved since beta one.

SOURCES

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Looks like Microsoft is really late for the browser security party. Most features to be implemented for IE8 is already in Firefox and Opera. Opera so far outshine in security between Firefox and IE. Though, its still too early to tell how solid will these features are, its known that what thrown in IE in every release turns out more flimsy then featured.Bookmark site just to retain the cookies? I bet there is way better alternative to it.

Bookmark site just to retain the cookies? I bet there is way better alternative to it.

Completely agree, for a start they could add sites that are visited more than X times a week to a list, all sites on this list have their cookies retained. They could also separate the "delete cookies" from "delete history" it really doesnt take a genius....

and think how many bookmarks you need... its just silly, the bookmark list has obe function, to enable you to quickly re-visit the sites you like without typing an address. Cmon microsoft. WAKE UP!

the private browsing is a good, and unique idea, however with different profiles on fiefox its not hard to set one up to be just as private as this new feature. but we will see. I wont be switching back to Ie though :)