xisto Community
longtimeago

Is It Possible To Bring An Network Completly Under Control So that no proxy softwares can be used within.

Hello friends,Greetings! This i am posting in order to find out the can a network be Completely taken into control by using some security tools like firewall etc. I am at present under a network of a college and the network administrator here has installed a watchguard x5000 series fire wall long back. During this time many of the proxy softwares worked. Eg.UltraSurf etc. but now the administrator has installed an extra device at the network gateway, thats a content filter . The name of the content filter is Webcat which is a product of IronPort which is now owned be Cisco , After this IronPort webcat has been installed none of the proxy softwares are working , even ultrasurf which uses port 9666 is blocked.Now does this mean that the network is complety under control and no proxy softwares will work ? If not can some one tell me a spoftware which can tunnel this Webcat.

In terms of security nothing is 100% ever 99% perhaps but never 100, so there are certainly ways around this system, bnut it wont be easy. One option is to set up your own proxy server on a web host that uses port 80, the standard HTTP port. you could then use perhaps a flash system to act as ther proxy and call the flash file something like "banner001.flv" or something inconspicuous and fill your website with meta tags like "resources, learning, school, college, education, search" etc... Many systems work on identifying meta tags like "gaming, games" etc... and block those sites, so more often than not you can get past them easy enough. Another option is with your own website have all the text as image files, most software wont or cant scan image files for text in any way to identify what it says, only humans can read it. Another way is to gain admin rights, sometimes very easy to do but beware of "honeypot" accounts, eg username:admin password:admin Many accounts like that seem to the result of stupid admins but most are the complete opposite, they know that password will be guessed, and when it is the IP of the person that logged into it is saved and you get in trouble for doing it. But if you gain genuine control then you can allow a certain port or close it on your pc. One way we found of shutting down the monitoring software (it showed the teacher all the screens of all the PCs in the room, and other rooms so they could spy on us) was to open a folder, then Right Click> properties > find target that bypassed the restrictions on navigation to C:\ in the address bar. Once past that wall we could roam freely to the software's folder, open the control panel and shut it down, all within 30 secs. So if you can do that, give it a go.another option is to bring in your own browser like firefox. Most software is configured only for IE or the primary browser on the network, so using a different one can confuse it.and the last option is to encrypt all the data from the website to your PC, this could be done with a browser, if such a browser/addon exists or you could write a custom program, but it wont be easy.My advice is just to cope with it and use the restricted net at college/school and play games etc when you get home, but i understand the frustration of being restricted

Another way is to gain admin rights, sometimes very easy to do but beware of "honeypot" accounts, eg username:admin password:admin Many accounts like that seem to the result of stupid admins but most are the complete opposite, they know that password will be guessed, and when it is the IP of the person that logged into it is saved and you get in trouble for doing it. But if you gain genuine control then you can allow a certain port or close it on your pc.

That would be illegal. Gaining access to a computer or network in that way will land you in court, facing hefty fines and often a jail sentence. Not worth it for accessing a few websites.

My advice is just to cope with it and use the restricted net at college/school and play games etc when you get home, but i understand the frustration of being restricted

Much better advice. If a website is blocked then there is usually a good reason for it. If you have a legitimate reason for accessing a certain blocked website, ask the IT department to unblock it for you, and they should have no problems doing so.

Aye, i didnt mention possible consequences but hes right!you cant gain unauthorized access, cause damage or loss of data etc... but you CAN perform a denial of service attack on a server provided your only motivation and goal is to stop people accessing it. Of course you then get sued for loss of earnings, but its still not illegal in the UK! I wouldnt try it though!

Security is never perfect for several reasons.1. Technology on the firewall end is always reacting. They only react to cover threats. They don't cover exploits that don't exist.2. There are humans involved.You can have the most perfect security software, a high quality firewall, and you can still get through. The internet is constantly expanding to stretch the boundaries. College students will find and use holes. Believe me; I am one. I've seen them do it. I've seen holes like blockers that are incomplete to blockers that don't monitor sites that are secure vis a vis https:// anything.Sorry, but you're just going to have to try your hardest and hope for the best.