xisto Community
natalia.shvan

Trade Mark Infringrements And Issues.. Trademark question...

Hello all, Sorry for my english...Would it be considered a trademark violation if you had a domain, for example warnerblog.com or nypdblog.com[New York Police Department], and set it up as basically a fan site for fans to blog or discuss Warner movies or whatever?Thanks! :)

As long as the website warnerblog.com shows nothing to do with Time Warner or Warner Bros or any other "warner." If your name was, i.e. Jim Warner and this was your warnerblog about things dealing with you, it is not infringing any law. But as soon as you draw a parallel line between warnerblog and "warner," all bets are off.That goes the same with nypdblog.com although if NYPD takes this to the court you'd be sure to lose even if your domain has nothing to do with NYPD. Case and point: I seem to remember MicroSoftware{dot}com and MicroSoft--MS appealed that microsoftware was too close to MS tradename that the court ordered the site to be withdrawn. Now, this is after MS offered the domain owner few bucks but the owner turned it down (reasons unknown or perhaps the owner wanted to stick it to the man lol). After much feud MS finally settled it the court.

That goes the same with nypdblog.com although if NYPD takes this to the court you'd be sure to lose even if your domain has nothing to do with NYPD. Case and point: I seem to remember MicroSoftware{dot}com and MicroSoft--MS appealed that microsoftware was too close to MS tradename that the court ordered the site to be withdrawn. Now, this is after MS offered the domain owner few bucks but the owner turned it down (reasons unknown or perhaps the owner wanted to stick it to the man lol). After much feud MS finally settled it the court.

It was even more stupid than that. The guy's name was Mike Rowe, and he made software, so he bought the domain MikeRoweSoft.com. Despite it looking nothing like Microsoft, and clearly having no connection, Microsoft took the poor guy to court over it.

wow I did a little googling and the dude got a nice package deal for giving up that domain. Although, in the end that was pretty stupid of them to do something like they just because it sounded like it (can't think of the word for what I just described. Anyway the domain name is one of those fine on what can be used and what won't get you in trouble, I did a google on NYPD and there is a pizza service that uses those initials.

wow I did a little googling and the dude got a nice package deal for giving up that domain. Although, in the end that was pretty stupid of them to do something like they just because it sounded like it (can't think of the word for what I just described. Anyway the domain name is one of those fine on what can be used and what won't get you in trouble, I did a google on NYPD and there is a pizza service that uses those initials.

LOL, i did a stupid thing i think in year 2004 :P ... [i was 15 years] I registered microsoftalive.com and kept all the photos and videos of Bill Gates hehe lol :P .. and kept a tag also stating this website is for sale and its cheap only 10,000 US dollars lol.. and after a year passed, i got a mail that your being sued by court blah blah, i was shocked and just kept quiet over the issue and i haven't paid money for its renewal... and till now i have no idea what had happened to it... i see someone registered it again in 2007 with enom... Did i do a mistake, in keeping quiet over the issue? :) or it was a false email notice? :P

The guy's name was Mike Rowe, and he made software, so he bought the domain MikeRoweSoft.com.

Ah ha! I stand corrected.

Yes, for some reason microsoftware{dot}com was on my mind and the domain came without a website. I should have researched before sighting a case. Thanks for the verification :)