xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
A200

Our Lunch At A Rather Unsavoury Food Outlet At Wynnum...

I swear, if I food inspector or mystery shopper went to this outlet, they would be shut down for good. Very shoddy food practices! I feel like I should alert some government agency... if a flu outbreak started, that shop would spread it extremely quickly.To my rant >>My family went out to the Brisbane bayside quite a few times back in the summer holidays in January, mainly because my sister had been taking out dog to obedience classes there. Because it was on a weekly basis on Sunday night, we would have dinner at a nice restaurant, opposite the bay that had outside eating so it was a nice meal. Prices were decent, and the food was awesome. We normally have fish and chips there, and it always comes with salad and we also buy milkshakes which are nice too. Price for fish and chips + salad was $9 IIRC. Milkshakes were $3.It seems the locals liked it there too, it was usually full of people, and was well lit, waiters were nice and was a generally enjoyable place.Well today we went down to Wynnum again (at lunchtime) and went to a place further down the road where my dad had to go to some exhibit or expo thing. After that we decided to have fish + chips somewhere, and I suggested we go to the place down the road where we went heaps of times, and is a 5min walk down the road. But oooh no we had to eat at this other place, which was closer as my dad couldn't be bothered walking or even driving just down the road :) so we went to this restauranty place where you eat outside on tables and chairs on the footpath. Their prices were pretty shoddy, and when I saw it I wanted to go to the other place... turns out my gut instinct was 100% correct.Fish and chips at this place was $12, and had no salad and was just *BLEEP* fish with chips (full of fat) just chucked in. We ordered what we wanted, and the person serving us had black stuff under his fingernails, which was totally gross. His clothes were pretty dirty and his hands were dirty too. :D My horror continued. Mum wanted quiche so he took it out of the display cabnet and put it on another plate (he didn't use tongues or anything to move it, he used his bare fingers on food (ewww). Then we sat down and waited for him and the other person there to cook it, and I noticed they didn't have gloves on, so they were handling customers food with the same hands that had touched money which has been goodness knows where, and hands that he just coughed on, that had been rubbed on dirty clothes, that were also being used to cook food. See my issue?Well 20mins later lunch finally arrived, and he just put it on our table with a grunt and went back out. We looked at the plate with fish and chips just chucked on, looking really gross. (I wanted to puke, knowing where it came from). Seeing as there were two different types of fish in it, my dad went in and asked what was what. So he came out and picked up our fish from our plate (still with grotty hands) and said 'this is either cod or nile perch, dunno which' and picked up the other one and said 'barramundi' and chucked it back onto the plate and went back in. I couldn't believe it... Noone really wanted to eat what we ordered... we were dismayed... I also noticed that the place was pretty much empty and all the locals seemed to have ordered from another shop nearby... The next time we go to manly, I know sure as hell I will never order from that place again. Heck I am surprised noone has contacted the food safety authority or something, they would shut it down in a heartbeat.A food critic would give it a rating of -9999999999999999999999999/10. However, I think that the place normally isn't operated by these two people, I hope that someone else normally operates it and they were filling it... I HOPE. From the outside, it looked like a good place, but on the inside it was pure ewwww. If there was an outbreak of some serious disease and was spread via the practices of that store, I imagine they would get sued a heck of a lot of money. I notice large fastfood chains like McDonalds and Subway seem to do the right thing- have the people operating the register NOT TOUCH food, and vice versa. As they know good practices, and chances are, you are safer eating their food than anywhere else. I hope you liked reading my big rant, I felt I must pass the word about this dismal place.A200

Uff, that is disgusting. Did you complain? If my family went there my dad would go crazy and never pay. I am very careful about such things when I make food. People around me is probably annoyed because I am so careful. If a fly lands on my food, I feel disgusted and there is a big possibility that I will not eat it. Ever thought about where that fly might have been? On some animal, on a dead body etc. I hate such things. People that have bad hygiene should not be allowed to work at a place that serve food. It is even worse when I go out and see a person that is sick, is coughing and sneezing working. That is even worse. For the sake of this place I hope that this is a one-time happening.

The thing is, you pay when you order, and by the time we had our food we truly realised how horrible it was.Dad did go in and speak to them and say you should be washing your hands or having gloves on AT LEAST and touching customers food is not good.I agree, I hope that the place is normally run by someone else and this are there brothers or sons or something. From the outside it looks like a good place but the people running it are a different story. A200

i know how good venting feels after the fact but i gaurantee you woulda felt a lot better creating a stink when you were already there. gotta stick up for what you believe in. also, some of these businesses can use some good old fashioned critique now and then

i think it's funny though. these guys actually picked up your food after it was cooked with their bare hands right in front of you and didn't say a word? i woulda demanded my money back. aren't there food standards there. report them to your local health department or whoever regulates that.

next time, go where the locals go. they will always know best. :)

so let me ask you the most important question of them all....did you and your dad eat the food?

The thing is, you pay when you order, and by the time we had our food we truly realised how horrible it was.Dad did go in and speak to them and say you should be washing your hands or having gloves on AT LEAST and touching customers food is not good.

I agree, I hope that the place is normally run by someone else and this are there brothers or sons or something. From the outside it looks like a good place but the people running it are a different story.

A200

I didn't eat the fish knowing where it came from... I ate the chips as I knew that they can't have touched every single one. When we got home I made another lunch as my tummy wasn't 100% filled.But the place was empty which was a sure sign, everyone seemed to be at a restaurant across the road. Such a pity we couldn't go to the normal place we go to, which is about 1km down the road. We get good food, great service in a nice clean place for a decent price. But when they touched the food I didn't know what to say.. I was just thinking 'what the... did he just touch our food, with those grubby hands, in front of us?'A200

UUgghh!!!!. Don't they have local health departments in Australia? You should report this place at once. In USA we have the option of reporting such things to our local department, and they inspect things post-haste. One of the local restaurants here was closed down because of a "too" dirty restroom. Why, because in the long run it affected the cleanliness of the food servers and preparers. It was the ony facility on the premises. This place you have described would be closed down immediately using our health standards. Please do take action. This place needs closing down.

Here, if you find garbage in your neighbor?s backyard, you can request it to be removed in a timely fashion or you can call the heath department of the township...well, I guess you most of the time you don't have to do that :)