xisto Community
DeM0nFiRe

Locking Methods

Hey all,So this one here is to the moderators here at Xisto. I was about to make a post in the topic and I noticed it said it was closed. I looked for the post saying why it was being locked, and it wasn't there :) I think it would be a nice idea to have a post stating why something is being locked rather than just locking it. It helps people not be confused and help to correct the problem later. I think we have had people before here thinking that it was a bot who was locking random topics, which shouldn't happen right? I mean, wouldn't it make sense to knwo why something is being locked?

when a topic thread gets locked, it's usually one of three things:* a problem particular to author of post is [ RESOLVED ] with "finality", or requested to be closed by original author of thread* a thread is turning "spammy" after several posts, which gets locked as a result (or thrown in the SPAM section, inaccessible to members).* a thread is rather old, and a rehash of points already discussed in the thread is pretty evident after it gets resurrected.moderators usually use a macro (a one-click, abbreviated sequence of instructions) to lock a thread and to add a generic note signifying it is now deemed [ RESOLVED ], effectively locking it. but this is on a thread-by-thread basis only, and only on threads which required resolution. sometimes we just use the CLOSE TOPIC option, with no annotation to simplify things, and to indicate no further discussion is allowed on a particular thread. when we encounter a series of posts which are needed to be locked in a particular forum, it's easier to lock these by an ajax feature in the IPB forums to lock them without needing to open the thread itself and use the macro.in any case, unless it is a SPAM thread (which gets thrown out of the visible forums), members can still have a thread re-opened in instances when a further discussion on a closed topic is deemed necessary. any member can simply request any T17 staffers via PM, or if somebody empowered to do it is onboard the shoutbox, from there. :)

Ok, maybe then this one topic was just a fluke. It was a list of Free Online Games. It didn't get thrown out, just closed. People were still adding new games to it, and I was about to myself and then I found out it was locked and I didn't know why.

I'm not sure who locked the topic, but I can guess why: The original post was made in April 2005, with a huge gap in posting before July 2008. Reviving old threads is generally not a good idea. Especially with links, information goes out of date quickly (the links stop working). Secondly, there is very little actual content - just a list of links. If links were provided with a short review or introduction to the game, then that would be better.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/20918-free-net-games-huge-lsit-of-free-net-games/