xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
burgen

Google Hosting?

if google can offer 1gb gmail service, it can also offer web hosting service, with great feature, for free. unlike email services, now the market of webhosting is so divided and nobody really dominates, there are so many small hosting business. imagine google provide a free hosting service, say 1gt space, how long will it take before google takes over this business? and it makes sense for google to provide such services, indeed google will be able to gain ultamate access to numerous web servers.

Google could never take over free hosting... Xisto's going to be herefor at least a long while. Besides, Xisto's not really that grand a corporation(sorry OpaQue) and won't delete its service within a 3 second decision... notthat Google will either, but it has nothing to lose in removing such a service,Xisto specializes in the thing. And another note, people like me would stillbe using Xisto (perhaps while using a google account with that nice 1 Gbof hard drive space as a nice storage facility :rolleyes:)

if google can provide free services with great features, with google's server and reputation, i would think many if not all the people using paid webhosting will turn to google hosting, thus google will destroy >90% of the paid web hosting service and take over the business.

about free hosting services, it is never a factor in the business, almost no serious website will use any free hosting services.

Google could never take over free hosting... Xisto's going to be here

for at least a long while. Besides, Xisto's not really that grand a corporation

(sorry OpaQue) and won't delete its service within a 3 second decision... not

that Google will either, but it has nothing to lose in removing such a service,

Xisto specializes in the thing. And another note, people like me would still

be using Xisto (perhaps while using a google account with that nice 1 Gb

of hard drive space as a nice storage facility :rolleyes:)

41437[/snapback]

about free hosting services, it is never a factor in the business, almost no serious website will use any free hosting services.

Actually, I would use t17 for a serious website...in fact, that's the whole ideabehind my hosting account. Have you considered the point that what you said
is self-contradictory?

if google can provide free services with great features, with google's server and reputation, i would think many if not all the people using paid webhosting will turn to google hosting, thus google will destroy >90% of the paid web hosting service and take over the business.

So if google provided free hosting, no business would care, because free hostingis not a serious factor in business.

Actually, I would use t17 for a serious website...in fact, that's the whole idea

behind my hosting account. Have you considered the point that what you said

is self-contradictory?

So if google provided free hosting, no business would care, because free hosting

is not a serious factor in business.

41443[/snapback]

I mean free hosting today is not a factor, because there are simply not many free services with good enough features (space, bandwidth, uptime, ads) and garanteed long-lasting time, well maybe except Xisto, (i will know when I tried it)

but when google provides free hosting services, it will be a factor.

If Google were to enter the free hosting business, the subsequent trend will directly correspond to that of the G-Mail phenomena. Google has the capacity to offer whatever they wish to their users, so by advertising a monumental amount of space, competing hosts will be forced to up their standards (look at Hotmail and Yahoo now!).At the rate Google's going at, they could take over the world's supply of water, electricity, petroleum, fossil fuels, and Boston cream pies and still have time and money to spare. Google is an epidemic...and it's coming for you! :rolleyes:

This will never happen, and if it does, it'll be no more better than Geocities with a gigabyte of storage. Why? Google makes it's revenue from advertising. Automagically, lots of "serious" websites would not want advertisements on their site that aren't put their by themselves. Think about geocities. Would you use it for a respectable website? Would you use it for a respectable website if it was the exact same thing with a gigabyte of storage? No. That's the awsome part of Xisto. No ads on the hosted sites, it relies on the community that uses it to support it; which makes it completely self-reliant, and thus, stable (financially). Believe it or not, Xisto is better than lots of paid hosting accounts. Have you seen package #3? I've seen people sell those packages for $150 a month, and those companies are still in buisness. This is what a free webhost should be like, not some cheap anglefire site.

Google Should change is blooger service and make it into web hosting. There blogger service has no advertising on it now however it did when it first came out.This is what I was looking for in a hostFreeLarge StoragePHPEmailGreat Add-onsfriendly supporttoolsAnd Site StatsAnd Guess what I get that already.ThanksEric DrinkardXisto Forever

I was reading a discussion on how Google can afford to offer 1GB of email per user, and it ends up making sense - for email. One of the essential things that makes it work is how each user's disk space

a) is pretty much only accessed by that one person

B) is filled up slowly or not at all

Both of these conditions fail when you try to apply them to web hosting.

Caveman - lol... I've thought the same thing. Good thing google's corporate policy is to not be evil! (item 6) Glad I trust them! Is that a mistake? Maybe...

while when there were discussions about the cost of gmail, it was estimated it cost 1 dollor per gigabites for google. sure web hosting will use more space quicker than email, but think about the user amount, there will be much less user actually using web hosting services than email. So there is no doubt google can afford to do it, the question is will they? it is a good point that google survives on ads, but then again blogger don't have ads at all.maybe google may not provide hosting in the traditional way but in some other ways, like a blog (blogger), personal online photo album (which I really like to see), or a private social network (orkut, or like wallop, which you can publish text and pictures without space limit).

An Idea for Gmail webhosting is that what you havnt used for your email is the space for your website.. This would be quite good...but then the service in someways will suck.Google is good I use it over Hotmail any day (I only use hotmail for msn) The email servce they previde is exptreamly good.SO it makes sence that one day google will previde web hosting...but that day is not now also if google took over the free host area. Microsoft most lilky will try and conter it...maybe MSNhosting... but then other email copenys will try the same thing as google... so the world of free hosting would be runined...lol

An Idea for Gmail webhosting is that what you havnt used for your email is the space for your website.. This would be quite good...but then the service in someways will suck.

Google is good I use it over Hotmail any day (I only use hotmail for msn) The email servce they previde is exptreamly good.

SO it makes sence that one day google will previde web hosting...but that day is not now also if google took over the free host area. Microsoft most lilky will try and conter it...maybe MSNhosting... but then other email copenys will try the same thing as google... so the world of free hosting would be runined...lol

41947[/snapback]

I don't see it being ruined.

after Gmail, hotmail and yahoo both increase their mail storage room from pathetic 2m and 4m to 250m, and numerous email providers follows. Yet free email service is not ruined, instead email users are the ultimate winners.

I don't see it being ruined.

after Gmail, hotmail and yahoo both increase their mail storage room from pathetic 2m and 4m to 250m, and numerous email providers follows. Yet free email service is not ruined, instead email users are the ultimate winners.

41955[/snapback]

At the momment gmail is good...but imagaine a few years down the track...gmail would maybe have 2000MB and yahoo and hotmail 1000MB

I agree with EricDrunkard on what I look for in hosting (+bandwidth and I am willing to pay a little for good hosting.). I agree with Caveman in that Google seems to be taking over the internet. I try not to think about it much because really, it scares me. Google is turning into the internet 'God'. It knows all, it sees all. (Nevertheless, I did follow the 'fad' and get a Gmail account anyway.)Anyway, if Google started doing webhosting.... They'd probably offer something like 1-5GB space... Probably have a long beta phase first (ala Gmail right now). I'm not good at calculating bandwidth usage, but it'd be around 100 GB/mo. (Probably as much as 500 GB... or more.) Insane amounts, basically, especially considering it would be free and all. Ads... To make more money off it, they could require (non-paying) Ad-Click towers. But that'd drive people away, so they'd probably just make it optional with an easier sign-up if you do. We'd probably have an ad-free option, paying Ad-Click option, and 'donation' Ad-Click option. Anyway, I can't say what I would do if they did come out with it. I don't like being a 'sheep', but if the features were good enough, who knows?