xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
csp4.0

Help Me Decide... Please?

Ok... I've come to the decision that using pure XHTML1.0 Strict isn't going very far with my website as everything (The URLS, etc) are hard-coded and so, if I were to upload it to a live server, I would have to change the names and stuff, all over again...Now I've decided 3 different options...Option 1: Use a CMS, if I go with this option, it would almost 70% Likely that I would go with Joomla!Option 2: Use a Portal for phpBB3.x.x. If I go with this option, it would be 80% likely that I go with "Stargate Portal"Option 3: Is that I make my own homepage (and other pages, i.e. News, etc) using the phpBB3 API (which basically allows access of the session data, the language files, etc.)With option 1, the thing is... I am not familiar with Joomla! and there are not much bridges for it and the bridges that are there, I don't like them very much... And I hate having a user called "Admin" it is SO overused these days!With option 2, the good thing is... I've used past version of Stargate Portals and I liked it, the bad thing is that there are so many bugs and coding errors. If 0.4.0 doesn't come out soon, this one will have to be ruled out... :)And option 3... The good thing about this idea is that it allows for me to get more familiar with php, and more familiar with the phpBB3.x.x API. I will also be able to incorporate things the way I want them... But the bad thing, is that I won't have ACP integration (Meaning, all the stuff will have to be edited manually in the language file), and updating phpBB versions will be a pain...So, Xisto'ers what do you think would be the best decision?

Ok... I've come to the decision that using pure XHTML1.0 Strict isn't going very far with my website as everything (The URLS, etc) are hard-coded and so, if I were to upload it to a live server, I would have to change the names and stuff, all over again...
Now I've decided 3 different options...

Option 1: Use a CMS, if I go with this option, it would almost 70% Likely that I would go with Joomla!

Option 2: Use a Portal for phpBB3.x.x. If I go with this option, it would be 80% likely that I go with "Stargate Portal"

Option 3: Is that I make my own homepage (and other pages, i.e. News, etc) using the phpBB3 API (which basically allows access of the session data, the language files, etc.)

With option 1, the thing is... I am not familiar with Joomla! and there are not much bridges for it and the bridges that are there, I don't like them very much... And I hate having a user called "Admin" it is SO overused these days!

With option 2, the good thing is... I've used past version of Stargate Portals and I liked it, the bad thing is that there are so many bugs and coding errors. If 0.4.0 doesn't come out soon, this one will have to be ruled out... :D

And option 3... The good thing about this idea is that it allows for me to get more familiar with php, and more familiar with the phpBB3.x.x API. I will also be able to incorporate things the way I want them... But the bad thing, is that I won't have ACP integration (Meaning, all the stuff will have to be edited manually in the language file), and updating phpBB versions will be a pain...
So, Xisto'ers what do you think would be the best decision?

What do you mean by the first statement? Do you mean you hard code the whole address in like "localho http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;? because if your doing that of course you'llhave to change it when you upload to the web. Use relative paths and you should not have this problem.

I would go for option 3 as it seems more interesting :) if your up for a challenge then go for it.

What do you mean by the first statement? Do you mean you hard code the whole address in like "localho http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;? because if your doing that of course you'llhave to change it when you upload to the web. Use relative paths and you should not have this problem.
I would go for option 3 as it seems more interesting :) if your up for a challenge then go for it.

Yes, I do mean "hard code" it...

i.e. if my website was at "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; I would write URLs like, "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; or so... I normally keep my other files in codename'd folders that are to do with stargate someway or another...

i.e. If I were to have a page "Downloads" it would probably be in /public_html/daedalus/replicator/index.html, but the thing is, I dislike using the "../../" because I have seen it fail so many times when going into "contrib" folders when installing phpBB3.x.x mods... Which is why I hard-code URLs...

For option 3, the main reason is because I want to use the things like "<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->" and stuff so i.e., if a user logs in through the homepage, the login box would disappear and be replace with like a normal "x messages recieved, Click here to log out" etc...

But another reason is the fact that because "{$phpbb_root_path}" is a variable, I will be able to allow files access to other files
i.e. If a file was in folder "/public_html/folder/folder1/folder2/*.*" and {$phpbb_root_path} is defined as "/public_html/forum/" and I wanted to access the proSilver CSS, I can just add the "IN_PHPBB" thing and set it to true and just do "{T_THEME_PATH}/stylesheet.css" because {T_THEME_PATH} is defined as "{$phpbb_root_path}/styles/*/theme/"

So that is the reason I put option 3 up there...

Meh... I'm working on a style for phpBB3.x.x at the moment... :D

I wish I could show you my wordpress blog right now
(I have not requested for free hosting here yet).

Adding multi-languages (translate on the spot online)
is a breeze by using wordpress and its community-
supported plugins.

Here's an example of a wordpress blog.
(website isn't mine ok?)

There are wordpress plugins for voting, email, tell-a-friend,
emailing, converting post to PDFs, etc For me, Wordpress
is easier to use than Joomla.

Visitors and friends are able to comment and follow-up
just like how you do in a forum.

Regards
kelly

except, That's the thing! I don't want to use wordpress as I am not making a "Blog" sort of thing... Its the fact that I am using the website not as a place where I put up articles for people to read and comment about but a website i.e. Microsoft or something... If it were a blog, I would have gone with WordPress right away, but the thing is, it isn't a blog...And besides... phpBB3.x.x's API is so easy to work with...

except, That's the thing! I don't want to use wordpress as I am not making a "Blog" sort of thing... Its the fact that I am using the website not as a place where I put up articles for people to read and comment about but a website i.e. Microsoft or something...
If it were a blog, I would have gone with WordPress right away, but the thing is, it isn't a blog...

And besides... phpBB3.x.x's API is so easy to work with...

Csp4.0 I am glad you have no problems with phpBB3
because I have no interest for phpBB3's design and
can't offer any suggestions for phpBB.

WP may have started for bloggers but it's now also
being used for CMS and shopping sites (the shopping
site concept is still new though).

if i understand what you're saying it's that you dont want to use xhtml to code your site.
then i'd say use a CMS i prefer drupal but joomla is said to be realy good

except, That's the thing! I don't want to use wordpress as I am not making a "Blog" sort of thing... Its the fact that I am using the website not as a place where I put up articles for people to read and comment about but a website i.e. Microsoft or something...
If it were a blog, I would have gone with WordPress right away, but the thing is, it isn't a blog...

And besides... phpBB3.x.x's API is so easy to work with...

actualy you can use wordpress as a CMS check out this article on turning wordpress into a CMS HERE

GRRRRGH!Here's the thing...I don't want to use Wordpress for a number of reasons...Mainly because there aren't ANY working bridges out there and the only one that works has been abandoned by its author...Second, even if there WAS a working bridge. I would NOT use it, as I don't plan on having the website like a "Blog" or "News" site... If don't want it to be like that... And because of the absence of a bridge, I won' be able to link it up to phpBB very well... Stargate Portal was MADE for phpBB3.x.x, and my one is built off-of phpBB3.x.x...WordPress is very good for blogging... But blogging ain't my idea... I'm sure WordPress has so many other uses than blogging, but because of the absence of a bridge... I cannot and therefore will not use it...

Not sure what BRIDGE you're talking about mate but like I said I am glad you already found what you're looking for. No one's forcing you to use wordpress - people are just clarifying that wordpress can and is used for CMS. Filethis info away for your reference if you wish. :)

Bridge = (In Online Software Terms) Allows for integration of two or more software. i.e. phpBB3 and Joomla! bridge allows for user login/logout synchronisation, etc...

Bridge = (In Online Software Terms) Allows for integration of two or more software. i.e. phpBB3 and Joomla! bridge allows for user login/logout synchronisation, etc...

Wow Csp4.0! Impressive! The info you provided is moved to my flash drive now.

I love learning new things!

Csp4.0 please show off your site when it's done. Would love to see it in works! Thankies!

The problem with that kind of functino is because not two of the CMS structures are alike so intergrating them can be a tricky task. I'm guessing thats why the author as you mention has abbandoned it. It still is none the less an interesting topic and feature to have. One other problem I can see is data being duplicated twich. Once on one cms and again on the other. When users regisisters and update profiles how has it worked in the past? two entries are made into each CMS database? This is not ideal but if it works then great. I think what your trying to do is reasonable enough i.e get functions and features out of two CMS but can I ask what are you interested in that isnt included in one or the other?

Wow Csp4.0! Impressive! The info you provided is moved to my flash drive now.
I love learning new things!

Csp4.0 please show off your site when it's done. Would love to see it in works! Thankies!

Ok... Um... I'll try to finish my site ASAP... But it should be finishing development and entering the first stages of "Alpha" sometime next week...

The problem with that kind of functino is because not two of the CMS structures are alike so intergrating them can be a tricky task. I'm guessing thats why the author as you mention has abbandoned it. It still is none the less an interesting topic and feature to have. One other problem I can see is data being duplicated twich. Once on one cms and again on the other. When users regisisters and update profiles how has it worked in the past? two entries are made into each CMS database? This is not ideal but if it works then great. I think what your trying to do is reasonable enough i.e get functions and features out of two CMS but can I ask what are you interested in that isnt included in one or the other?

The thing with bridges is, unless you have access to session data and types of Authentication, it is impossible to create a bridge...

With Joomla! and phpBB, they are starting to get easier to bridge (considering the fact that Joomla!'s website uses phpBB3.0.x) But with wordpress, because it uses some other form of "hash" to protect the passwords, it is almost impossible to bridge between phpBB3.x.x mainly because phpBB3.x.x uses MDF as its method of "hashing".

Bridges are all third-party applications meaning no matter what happens, it will always have some sort of "bug"...

Like you mention with the "duplication" of data into the database... It CAN be resolved but it would only work for CMS and Forum Software that allows direct modification of its core files since, then you SHOULD be able to allow sharing of databases and the ability to use other software's database without conflict...

(i.e. Using SQL Table "phpbb_zebra" to identify friends & foes)

But if someone did that, they might aswell just make another portal for the forum software...

GRRRRGH!
Here's the thing...

I don't want to use Wordpress for a number of reasons...

Mainly because there aren't ANY working bridges out there and the only one that works has been abandoned by its author...

Second, even if there WAS a working bridge. I would NOT use it, as I don't plan on having the website like a "Blog" or "News" site...

If don't want it to be like that... And because of the absence of a bridge, I won' be able to link it up to phpBB very well...

Stargate Portal was MADE for phpBB3.x.x, and my one is built off-of phpBB3.x.x...

WordPress is very good for blogging... But blogging ain't my idea... I'm sure WordPress has so many other uses than blogging, but because of the absence of a bridge... I cannot and therefore will not use it...
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ok... Um... I'll try to finish my site ASAP... But it should be finishing development and entering the first stages of "Alpha" sometime next week...
The thing with bridges is, unless you have access to session data and types of Authentication, it is impossible to create a bridge...

With Joomla! and phpBB, they are starting to get easier to bridge (considering the fact that Joomla!'s website uses phpBB3.0.x) But with wordpress, because it uses some other form of "hash" to protect the passwords, it is almost impossible to bridge between phpBB3.x.x mainly because phpBB3.x.x uses MDF as its method of "hashing".

Bridges are all third-party applications meaning no matter what happens, it will always have some sort of "bug"...

Like you mention with the "duplication" of data into the database... It CAN be resolved but it would only work for CMS and Forum Software that allows direct modification of its core files since, then you SHOULD be able to allow sharing of databases and the ability to use other software's database without conflict...

(i.e. Using SQL Table "phpbb_zebra" to identify friends & foes)

But if someone did that, they might aswell just make another portal for the forum software...

i'd hate to bring wordpress back up again but there is a forum software desighned especially for wordpress (https://bbpress.org/) but you being a PHPBB lover, i'd dount you'd like it because it's light weight.

but i think it's going to be really hard to found a bridge for PHPBB because i'v never heard of a CMS that does PHPBB intergration. but i saw a couple joomla extensions when i google (PHPBB bridge)