xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wnf15

Can You Help Me To Choose A Graphic Card can you help me to choose a graphic card

hey...by SC2 i think you mean splinter cell 2. well whatever it be ...it largely depends on the amount you are ready to spend....I have 8400 GS on my PC...its not really an expensive graphics card... i ran splinter cell 2 on my PC....and it gave satisfactory performance if not excellent.....

Why is this in the Business forum?You never mentioned a budget. If you're wanting to play the newer games but save some money (and consequently lose out on FPS and possibly some special graphic effects), I recommend now going for the NVIDIA 8800GTs. With the 9 series and the 200 series out, 8800s are going to be overlooked. (You can pick one up for less than $150 nowadays.)However, I personally would like to future-proof myself, but this comes at a price. When you go shopping for video cards, keep an eye out for DDR3 VRAM, 256-bit or better memory bus, and the GPU series of the card. Depending on what you have for slots, PCIe is the way to go, but if you're stuck with the fading AGP port, you might want to just look into building another desktop. I'm guilty of only having looked at NVIDIA for the longest time, but I believe ATI is still a decent competitor with their HD 2600 series. (Take a look at the ATI HD 2600 XT.) Also, keep in mind the motherboard that you have. I'm not sure, but there might be a possibility that the motherboard designed for NVIDIA will choke performance if you put an ATI card in, and vice versa. If anyone wants to correct me on that, let me know.Dual video cards are a possibility, but the justification of increasing your performance by as high as 50% (but not likely) for x2 the money spent just isn't there. I wouldn't do it unless you had the money to burn, and if you did, you might as well go for a single dream card instead of two mediocre ones.

Yeah I would have to agree that the 8000 series graphics cards are your best choice, but in then a high end 7000 series graphics card will be just as good to run that game.

Check out the graphics cards here and here. The best way to determine a good graphics cards is price, number of reviews and a higher percentage in 5 and 4. Either way 8800ct 8800GTXXX are the best graphics cards money can buy.

I think that he meant StarCraft 2, by the way.Instead of going through your web site, try NewEgg like SM suggests. I judge peer reviews in the same way: first by number of reviews, then by average rating.Also, keep in mind that the brand of the card doesn't matter. Pay more attention to the chipset and the other aspects I mentioned above.

I think that you are looking for a card that can support StarCraft 2 (Since even on-board cards like intel 3100 can run Splinter Cell 2 :))

StarCraft 2 would require at least 128 MB graphic Memory

It will support DX10 and Shader Model 2.0

considering that its going to allow very high and dynamic lightening effects, I would suggest you Go for at least a Mid segment card.

Although an 8600 GT would do the job but you might want to go for 8800 GTS or GTX if you can. and if your budget permits you can also go for the new 9800 series graphics card.

If you are an ATI fan :D

you can look for Radeon 4850 and 4870 .. I personally think that these are great cards at an affordable price

8800 is way more expensive than 150 $ if you buy it new . I have an Gainward Nvidia 8600GT Golden Sample Goes Like Hell than has a Core Clock of 625 Mhz / a memory Clock of 1800 Mhz / Shader Clock of 1440 Mhz , that means that is overclocked by the producers . It has a 256 MB DDR3 memory . If you have a motherboard with no PCi Express v2 ports than you'll have to buy a 128 bits video card , which offers less performance . But if you have a good motherboard with PCI Express v2 port than you can buy any video card according to your budget . If you really want to spend a lot of money then you could buy an Nvidia GTX 280 or an 9800GX2 .

@Eukristian

PCI-Ex v2 doesn't have any relation with 128 bit architecture of the Graphics Card.

PCI Ex 2.0 has only increased bandwidth, be it 128 bit or 256 bit.

"PCI Express 2.0 offers twice the bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1, by doubling the throughput per lane from 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s. A x16 PCI Express link hence offers the same bandwidth as PCI Express 2.0 at x8." - Taken from Tomshardware.com

Though for some reasons nvidia has released 8600 with 128 bit, that doesn't mean its not supported on a PCI-Ex 2.0 slot.

Or If i put a 9800 GX2 on a PCI-Ex 1.1, It would still work

I am using a P45 based motherboard that Has PCI-Ex 2.0 and using an XFX 8600 GT on it, and guess what Its working fine :)

And Even otherwise, I dont think there would be a considerable difference between PCI Ex 2.0 and 1.1 performance, besides supplying more power to the card I haven't heard anything great about the 2.0 specification yet.

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

The best is nvidia 8800GT.....I don't think you need something more powerful........

But if you want to be on the safe side of gaming you should buythe GeForce 9800 cards, it can handle all of the latest games and it will probably do that for some time. It might be expensive but it is worth it if you don't want to upgrade to a new one for quite a while.

By SC2, I assume you mean StarCraft 2? If so, no-one can really help, as a quick trip to their website reveals:

What are the system requirements for StarCraft II?

We'll have more details on specific system requirements closer to the release date.

If you really want to buy a graphics card, you'll just have to buy the best card you can afford, and hope it's good enough. Until you know the actual requirements, it is somewhat hard to suggest a particular card.

Well I did a little bit more research and this little blurb tells you what kind of card to consider/

StarCraft II will support the DirectX 9 (Pixel Shader 2.0) software and will be fully compatible with DirectX 10 as well, although the development team has not yet decided whether to add exclusive DirectX 10 graphic effects.[1]The Mac client will use OpenGL instead. The game will also feature the Havok physics engine,[1][25] allowing realistic interaction with the environment, such as "debris rolling down a ramp".[4] In addition, there are plans to implement VoIP into the game.[26]

So you will want to get a graphics card that supports DirectX 10, I haven't found any graphics cards that support both 9 and 10 but of course that's the benefit have dual graphics cards because yo ucan support both sets of technologies to cover yourself. However, since the game isn't even out yet, you might as well wait until the specs are out as to chose which card to get.