xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kudmus

Installing Drivers In Ubuntu(hardy Heron)

I am a newbie who just installed Ubuntu Studio 8.04. I can't see network directories and everything that is not on my machine so I just thought it was the network drivers.I tried to install my pro 100VM drivers. I was trying to follow the Readme supplied by intel on how to install but I got stuck where it said I have to compile the "make install" I have attached the read me so thst you can see the instructions and give me a dummies guide to installing this thing. Tell me what you wouldn't tell someone who is computer litterate because I think this readme assumes I have some Linux knowledge. Is this the correct file to begin with? Does anyone know where I can get the drivers and install them in a way that is easier for me.README_linux_pro100.txt

If you posted this topic via your Intel pro 100VM device, then it is not a driver issue. You may want to consider Samba for networking multiple computers that have different operating systems installed.But, yes, the readme assumes you know how to use the terminal.

It is actually a driver problem. I had to switch back to my XP to browse the internet. I did the same thing with Gusty( Dual booting with XP) but I left Gusty because I failed to to configure it to get internet. I could browse the internet because I could manually change the settings in the browser but the system was not getting anything. It kept giving me the error messages telling me I had no internet conection. This time there is absolutely nothing. I can't even see network folders like I would in Ubuntu7.10

It is actually a driver problem. I had to switch back to my XP to browse the internet. I did the same thing with Gusty( Dual booting with XP) but I left Gusty because I failed to to configure it to get internet. I could browse the internet because I could manually change the settings in the browser but the system was not getting anything. It kept giving me the error messages telling me I had no internet conection. This time there is absolutely nothing. I can't even see network folders like I would in Ubuntu7.10

Well, to install the driver according to the readme you have to navigate to where you extracted the driver, in the terminal. One easy way to do this is by navigating to where the folder is through GNOME's file manager, then right clicking on the folder in the file manager and choose "Open terminal here." If that option isn't available, then open up the terminal through the applications menu (should be under either accessories or system). You have to use the cd command to navigate to it (assuming it is extracted in your home directory):
CONSOLE
cd ~/path/to/e100-<x.x.x>/src/
Replace <x.x.x> with the version number (hitting tab after typing out "e100" should do it for you).

Once in, type this in the terminal:

CONSOLE
sudo make install
It'll ask for your password here.

Once it is finished, to load the module into the kernel, you type in:

CONSOLE
sudo modprobe e100
If it fails, consult the ldistrib.txt file that came with the driver, as the file may have to be moved.

I'm going to leave steps 6 and 7 to you. The readme has some information concerning make errors which you may be interested in.

Thanks Truefussion.
I'm still experiencing problems though. I tried to make install the drivers and this is what I got:

rare@DaLabz:~$ cd /media/sdb5/Avail/e100-3.5.17/srcrare@DaLabz:/media/sdb5/Avail/e100-3.5.17/src$ sudo make install
[sudo]password for rare:
Makefile:65: *** Linux kernel source not found. Stop.
rare@DaLabz:/media/sdb5/Avail/e100-3.5.17/src$

I sent this to guys who made the drivers and one they just made everything uglier for a newbie like me. They replied:

Why do you believe you need an updated e100? The 8.04 Ubuntu kernel(version 2.6.24) should have the right driver.

Can you send lspci so we can figure out what device you have and what
driver you need?

What does the output of the dmesg command say when you sudo
/sbin/modprobe e100 ?

Yes, the file on e1000.sf.net for e100 is old because all maintenance of
that driver has moved to the kernel. I would expect that e100-3.5.17
won't even compile on 2.6.24, but in any case you don't need it if you
already have 2.6.24.

Now how do I prepare the lspci and send them? If anyone can simplify this reply for a newbie, I'll appreciate that?

Now how do I prepare the lspci and send them? If anyone can simplify this reply for a newbie, I'll appreciate that?

The Kernel source should be in Ubuntu's repository, but if they say version 2.6.24 of the Kernel has built-in support for your device, then i guess you can forget about the drivers. To send them an output of lspci, simply type this in the terminal:
CONSOLE
lspci >> ~/lspci.txt

That will create a text file called lspci.txt in your account's profile with everything that lspci outputted. If you do no have lspci installed, the system may inform you of that and tell you what programs specifically to install. After installing it, run the command again, if you did not already have the program installed. Then you can just send them the text file as an attachment. Just first make sure there is some information in the text file before sending.

To answer their second question, run:

CONSOLE
sudo modprobe e100

If there's an error, you may want to write it down.

After running that, to see if it is loaded into the Kernel (i'm assuming this is what they're asking for), you run:

CONSOLE
dmesg | grep e100

I'm running Gentoo, and when i do that last command, i get the following output (just to show you an example):

CONSOLE
$ dmesg | grep e100

Allocating PCI resources starting at e1000000 (gap: e0000000:10000000)

e100: Intel? PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.23-k4-NAPI

e100: Copyright? 1999-2006 Intel Corporation

(Note: the dollar sign is a terminal prompt, where you type commands at.)

If you do not get any output, then run:

CONSOLE
dmesg >> ~/dmesg.txt
and send them that as well.

cannot install graphic card in ubuntu 7.04 on dell desktop.Installing Drivers In Ubuntu(hardy Heron)

Dear sir/madam.

I have a big problem.

I have a dell system and installed ubuntu,but I don't know any information about this problem,I cannot install driver and I don't know what is my system graphic driver ,and what can I understand it?

please help me.

thanks a lot 

-reply by farzaneh