xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andresf91

When Trap17 Will Host Non-english Sites? All websites must be in English to qualify for free hosting-

All websites must be in English to qualify for free hosting. We do this to ensure that Accounts are legal and have permissable contents.

I totally agree with the need to ensure that accounts are legal and have permissable contentes, but I believe there's a big portion of forum members who speak English as their second language, including myself, and so, I assume some time they may need free hosting in their native language.

So, why can't Xisto host sites in those non-English languages which have a large community in the forums? I'm sure that this couldn't be possible in early 2005, since Xisto forums weren't as big as they're now, but in my opinion, it IS possible now.
There must be some way to do it, like making a list of those languages which aren't in English, so the responsibility of checking hosted sites content doesn't fall on the admins' shoulders only, but volunteer members who check them and warn admins when there's something illegal.

Please don't take this as a harsh critic, my aim is just to take part in Xisto forums as they are a stable community and not one of those free hosting which shut after 6 months (I've known it since 2005 when I was a teenager trying to make a Harry Potter website) and want to help making it a better place, not only proposing the ideas. So, if at any moment, Xisto will start hosting non-English accounts, I'd be glad to give a hand with whatever is necessary.

Well, maybe it can be updated, because there are some non English sites being hosted, just as long as one page is in English that describes in some way what the website is about then that person is fine. However, people are turned off by the prospect of setting up a multi-language website, meaning that people don't want to create a websites that is entirely in English and then set up the same website in another language.

I can see...

So, there are de facto non-English hosted sites.

Well, that's good!

After I read the Terms of Service, I performed some searches, like "hosting spanish" to see if this topic had already been discussed and as I didn't found anything relevant, I thought that only English written sites were hosted.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

The rule means if you're going to have your site in a language other than English, you must have a way of viewing it in English; every page that isn't in English and that is visible to the public must have an English version of it.

It is quite simple just to translate sites using Google with the technology they have today. Maybe if sites just had a small link at the bottom or something with their URL to have their page translated by Google automatically then that would not be a problem or even if the administrators checking up on the site just put in the URL manually it would probably be simple. Maybe that could be a job of the moderators even to check sites once a month but people would have to say when they apply what language their site would be in. This way a list could be accumulated and those that abuse Xisto Rules and Regulations could still be dealt with.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

The rule means if you're going to have your site in a language other than English, you must have a way of viewing it in English; every page that isn't in English and that is visible to the public must have an English version of it.

Reading this post, I have a question:
I'm planning to make a CRM site, and I think hosting in Xisto. My CRM offers two languages: English and Spanish. Only the front page will be visible to the public. All others pages in the site requires authentication. Almost every users speaks spanish as their native language. Inside the CRM, the menus and templates will be in english and spanish, but the contents (posts, news, mails, files) will be mainly spanish.

żIs possible to host this site in Xisto?