xisto Community
williamm

Microsoft Vs. Macintosh Which operation system is the best

Now that we all know Microsoft is comming out with a new windows soon. It's called Windows 7. Now after reading an article about that comming out, i got a little upset. For one in the last sentece that i read, microsoft says We are trying to create an operating system that can make you stop dreaming about OS (Operating System) X or Linux. Well for all of that don't know what OS X is, it's Macintosh's Operating system. Last time i knew was that MAC has created an operating system that runs off of the same hardware as Microsoft Windows does. The hardware that i'm talking about is ram (Random Access Memory) which increaes how much memory can run a game or program. Processor, which is how fast the computer can clock, and how many programs can be opened. The last thing that counts is the hard drive. Now last time i was on a MAC i know of its Stablity. Now the reason of that is because of an operating system that is the bases of Mac. Which is Unix, I have had 3 computers with Unix installed. I know how stable that Operating System is. On the other hand Microsoft has stability problems. With Windows Vista it freezes up on me when i have just Internet Exporer going, and you cant tell me to get more ram and a better prosessor. For one reason because i already have 3 gb of RAM, AMD Atholon x2. It just shouldn't happen and with a MAC with the same hardware doesn't freeze. I think Microsoft should get their act together and try to work with Mac. It would be good for them since they control all of the Brand name computers.

That will never happen. That's why we have an open source movement that actually collaborates free-lance developers and their efforts to provide for the general public free (and mostly good) software. :) Microsoft is competing to have Windows operating systems on every computer in every home, office, and mobile device, as is Apple. Apple has been making quite a leap with its supposed easy-to-use interface and "superior" hardware (which doesn't make sense to me, since both operating systems utilize the same hardware, I believe), and even Linux is making a presence in commercial products (whether you realize it with the Asus eeePCs or not with the PS3 - which uses Yellow Dog). In this age of capitalism and the consequent greed, it would take a benevolent or crazy M$ CEO (since Gates is retiring) to band together with Apple.

little FYI: Macintosh IS the operating system. Apple is the company that makes it.Vista is pretty unstable, that's why they started making 7 so fast. But you can't say Windows XP doesn't work well. Vista is quite not so ready to be used so much.

little FYI: Macintosh IS the operating system. Apple is the company that makes it.
Vista is pretty unstable, that's why they started making 7 so fast.

But you can't say Windows XP doesn't work well. Vista is quite not so ready to be used so much.

Well I know, but windows XP has its moments. I'm still a full Unix/Linux person, but i'm not dawging on windows xp, i'm just saying that microsoft should have done what they did with Vista, and how they can control the computing world. Its not really that fair to any other OS. or who makes the OS. I li ke to use Windows XP Pro when it comes to hosting game servers. and makeing it copy my folders and making copy to several diffrent hard drives including one online for my backup websites incase something happens to any of the other hard drives.

I like this little topic. I personally will probably not buy a computer running windows for a very long time. I still insist the best windows computer I had was an old box that my mum got from her work, it has a whopping 32Mb of ram, a P2 I think with a whole 1GB of hard drive space. The only time it crashed was trying to play simcity 2000. It was perfect. and to be honest, with the right hardware I would go back to windows. not vista, maybe XP, but to be honest win98SE was the best in my opinion. IT NEVER CRASHED WITHOUT REASON, unlike a pc or two I've had.Next is mac. I am a mac user. I love it. I've had less problems with my mac in the last year and 3 months that I have with a computer (PC) I've had for 4 maybe 5 years. Mac have the right idea. When they release a product (for the most part) it is generally pretty stable. Other than a few hiccups which most are ironed out in 6-8 months after the release the operating . I think its something to do with them knowing what goes into every computer, and the ability to design it to be compatible with somewhat "outdated" hardware like leopard being able to run on a g4 with 867MhZ Processor and 512 Ram. The fact its cheaper to buy, theres only one version (as in basic, ultimate etc)Mac is good, stable and in my opinion kicks windows' butt

Sure, but that's just it. You have to pay to get iMovie, which is something disturbing as Windows Movie Maker works nicely and is free. If you turn to apple you have to spend more money on apps that come with Windows than on apps that don't.And games, don't forget that there are barely any retail PC games compatible with the Mac. I know WoW is compatible, but I don't play it :)All these years I've been using XP in different computers I have only seen one or two "What the hell just happened?" crashes, on my friend's clogged with s**t system.When I used Vista for the first time my first thought was that it was a simple OS for people that don't know much about computers, and that was just about it. Microsoft made it too much of a resource hog, making it hard for new people in computers to understand why it was going so slow, which was Microsoft's mistake. I don't want 4GB on my PC with the 2 GB used by the OS and it's Theme, jesus...Linux is also good, but there you have to have a little knowledge about computers in general. I've used it, I still do; it's nice, clean, fast, customizable, you can run windows apps and more.Every OS has it's problems, until the perfect OS comes, we have to stand-by...

Yeah and you want to know why those apps cost, like i've said before Microsoft controls most of the computing world hence the apps on the windows are free, when MAC have to work their butss off trying to get their name out there so they have to make money somehow its not given to them like microsoft has it. Take that into knowledge

Yeah and you want to know why those apps cost, like i've said before Microsoft controls most of the computing world hence the apps on the windows are free, when MAC have to work their butss off trying to get their name out there so they have to make money somehow its not given to them like microsoft has it. Take that into knowledge

Yeah, like the iPhone, it costs like 600$ and after it goes really famous and everyone gets it they release the same phone with more features that costs 200$. Friggin rip-off.
They've got so much money from iTunes and iPod, what more do they need?

Well Apple wanted to see where they stood when they brought out the iphone. If people liked it they were going to make it better and sell it cheaper. most companies do that you just don't pay attention. They want to see if they price the items hight enought that people would spend their money on it and if they do and they get more people than they expected then they remake them with more features and bring the cost down. Thats how any one makes their money and sell their products. It's how the world goes around.

Microsoft is the most widespread, therefore the most supported.. However, macs look visually apealing and can be more powerful than windows especially in some types of media, such as Audio or video...Macs = DesignMicrosoft = Widespread

Macs = DesignMicrosoft = Widespread

This nails the situation. Macs score high on the "cool factor" and have very nice interfaces. Even at my school, the digital art majors use Macs to do their work, rather than PC's. Apparantly Microsoft thought it could compete with this when it rolled out Vista...while the latter is shiny and pretty, that's about all it has (and even then, I'd prefer a Mac).

If you take the time to learn how a command line works and are willing to tweak things, Linux is the way to go. It's not as vulnerable to security issues as Windows since the latter is more widespread, and you can customize it to suit your needs. And it's free!

I'm a Linux supporter, but I use XP. I also am a fan of the Mac OS X operating system for many reasons. It looks better than Windows ever will for one. It is based off of Unix, so it is stable, because Unix itself is stable. OS X though lacks when it comes to programs, I have had few problems installing programs on my Linux when I had it, and very few when installing on XP. With OS X though, I had alot, of course I was on a school computer. In my honest opinion, I find Mac OS X to reign supreme between Windows and Mac, but Linux beats them both for alot of reasons.

Yes i totaly agree with you. Mac, I would totaly use it for design, I'm a web designer and windows doesn't run the Adobe programs like MAC can. I would spend the 2 grand on a laptop in order to do my design work easier. I love macs and i have the adobe products for the mac just need one lol.

Hi, it is always the same discussion. Now that Windows Vista is "stable"(as much i know) i think that there is no much diference between Mac and Windows. Both are good looking, both eat all your RAM and CPU time, and none of them will run in a PC older than 2 years.I always was impressed about the good look of Mac and the high stability with the included security. Well, as we know it is a Unix, one of the BSD, so we cant expect less from such operating system.Apple has developed an exclusive operating system for graphics designer and maybe gays :) .In the other side Microsoft developed an operating system for every home and sell it while they can. This operating system called Windows has been always unestable and has always been unsecure but very simple for people.Apple has moved Mac from powepc to intel and this is now helping to stop making mac so exclusive and is encouraging people to install it on their pcs.Now there is another one called Linux, that is getting inside of desktop pcs and is really pretty and it can be installed in old pcs, so i would recommend to also try it because it is very stable and has compatbility with windows driver, so it is as much supported as windows is.It also has a windows layer compatibility so you can run your windows programs under linux.Well, i has written pretty much, i like philosophy and computers so well, just that, a reflexion about this two operating systems.Regards, Seba

I always agree that Microsoft is known for compatibility, ease of use, and being universal, and Macs on the other hand very simple and graphical, almost stunning. But now with Vista and the upcoming Windows 7, the gap of good graphics is closing. And also Apple has 'gave in' to Microsoft with Boot Camp. They might be equally prefered in a short period of time, and Apple has to have something to show. Personaly I dual boot, with the best of both worlds.