xisto Community
ravimal

What Will Be The Side Effects If We Can Move And Think On The Speed Of Light What differences can we see if we can think, move or do what ever with

I think to put this topic here since it helped me to understanding some concepts on quantum physics. But I'm not going to put these theoretical stuffs here. I just want to know what I missed considering this scenario as well as the others' ideas on this point.

I always feel that it is better if I have a super power to think, move and do what ever I want with the speed of light. Is there anybody think like me?. Any way lets drop the phrase "speed of light". And let say it as closer to the speed of light.

Because of we think faster than others we may see that others are freeze or do their activities very slowly, some time we can't figure-out their motions.

We may feel that the mass of us is very huge. So although we can move we have to use a great energy to do it.

If someone is hit by us I can't even think about what happen to that person. Some time he may blast-out.

According to the De brogly's theory we may have a considerable wave length.

We are always be with high temperature because of the speedy collision with the air molecules.

We may see some delay of the motion of our shadows.

we can see an end of a light beam before it falls to a surface. But for view it, we have look it at a closer point to the beam. Because it gets time to reach to our eyes also.

we may feel some delay on the vision of our eyes.

I can't think about the scenario if we can do these things exactly on speed of light. Because there is a theory as that a mass which travels by the closer speed of light has a relative mass which is always greater than the rest mass.

Posted Image

where

m - relative mass

m0 - rest mass (normally we measure this on our day to day life)

v- the speed of the object

c - the speed of light

See what happen when an object travels with the speed of light then,

v=c

so 1-(v^2)/(c^2) = 1-(c^2)/(c^2) = 1-1 = 0

(m0)/0 -> infinity

this is just determined by using the theory. We don't no the actual.

Anyway my problem is the delays which I mentioned above is actually a delay.

the delay we faced relative to us is not a time consuming thing to the normal world. Even we can think and move faster the real world goes in its speed. while we are in the speedy mode, within a second(by the time of the real world) we may do a lot which may not be done if we were in normal mode for years. Even if we spend a second we may feel that we worked for years in this freeze world.

I know my English is not good enough to understand what I said.

I'll give you a small example, When we walk on a town. suddenly we change our thinking and moving speed closer to the speed of light. the environment is freeze or become to move slowly (our point of view, actual timing is not changed). we run hundreds of kilometers. read thousands of books. Now we feel that we spend more than one year so our age should be advanced in one year. Then we return back to the normal mode. oh! we spend one or two seconds. the freeze environment is now active environment. we are in the same age although we feel that we have spent a year.

Tell me whether you agree with this concept and other points I missed. I know there are many ways to think on this scenario.

It seems that I am the first to tackle with this topic so I hope I'm up to it! ;) First of all I would like to discuss the very concept of that speed. As you have correctly said as closer someone or something gets to the speed of light it's mass exponentially increases to the point where it becomes infinite. That would be a challenge - infinite mass! It is true in laboratory conditions they have been able to accelerate particles to the speed of light (and as far as I know even beyond the speed of light), but only particles, not objects with a notable mass to start with. That is also why it is currently though above then speed of light travel is impossible. What will happen to the mass factor once the speed of light will be surpassed?But there are also other implications involving traveling at the speed of light. There is the SF effect called time travel which is not that SF! An astronaut that stays for an year in orbit around the Earth would have traveled in time a few hundreds of a second. Yes! That is true. But what is important is that the effect grows once you get near the speed of light. That is why some think that once you go over the spped of light you could actually go back in time! It's not exactly the time travel you see in Hollywood movies since to you time the same. But to an outside observer time goes faster. For example for as on Earth a second means 1,0000000000 which for an astronaut on orbit traveling a few tens of thousands of km/h a second on Earth is somewhat 0,9999999999. From his point of view life on Earth is going slower. OF course in real life he won't observe it since the effect is extremely small at that speed, but once you go faster who knows?The last thing I would like to tackle is the light concept. Let's say that we can go exactly the speed of light. Since light travels at... ;) ... well... the speed of light an object traveling at the same speed will not "see" anything directly backwards to him. Why? Simple. Since he has the speed of light and light travels at the same speed chasing him it means light will never reach him for as long as he has the speed of light. So in his back he will only see total and complete darkness - a darkness nobody has ever seen. It a logical theory, but I don't know how much sense it has...

The speed of light is the theoretical speed limit of the universe, and as far as I know nothing has ever traveled faster in either matter or energy form. Also, it is not just light that travels at the speed of light. In fact, all electro magnetic waves travel at that speed, from gamma rays, to ultraviolet rays to the visible light spectrum to microwaves. Computers these days are so fast that one of the limiting factors in their speed is, indeed, the speed of light. Light does not travel instantly, so they are now making processors as small as possible so that the electric impulses have a shorter distance to travel.If we could think and move at the speed of light, we would also live longer in relation to our normal moving selves. For example, if two twins turn 20 at the same time and one of them gets aboard a spaceship when he turns 20 and the other remains on earth. The one in the spaceship moves much faster than the one at earth, let's say a one hundreth of the speed of light, or 3 million meters per second (Which is still unrealistically fast for our technology, but we'll go with it anyway) When the one in the spaceship returns 30 years later as observed by the one on earth, the one on earth will be 50 years old while the one in the ship may be only 27 or so (That's an estimate, there's an equation but I don't have it on me.) Now, this is just a theory but I figured since it was a theoretical question I would bring it in ^-^

Now, this is just a theory but I figured since it was a theoretical question I would bring it in ^-^

this reminds me of what a high school classmate used to ask people: "do you believe in relativity?" "do you think Einstein is right??"

now if he is, or if you cannot prove he is not, what you say about the different age of two twins is the most common example brought up to make the theory more accessible... yet it is very powerful because it applies to living beings, humans indeed! traveling keeps you young, you could say! just to throw in a joke :D

actually there is a quite "simple" and undisputed proof of the theory of relativity or at least of one of its aspects, that is the fact that light can be "bent" by a gravitational field... when observing stars which are "very close" to the sun (I'm talking about their apparent position as seen from Earth) a little displacement from their usual position is observed, the cause of it being identified with the gravitational field of our Sun, which are capable of "pulling" the light beams traveling towards us from those stars...

fascinating :)

It seems that I am the first to tackle with this topic so I hope I'm up to it! :)

First of all I would like to discuss the very concept of that speed. As you have correctly said as closer someone or something gets to the speed of light it's mass exponentially increases to the point where it becomes infinite. That would be a challenge - infinite mass! It is true in laboratory conditions they have been able to accelerate particles to the speed of light (and as far as I know even beyond the speed of light), but only particles, not objects with a notable mass to start with. That is also why it is currently though above then speed of light travel is impossible. What will happen to the mass factor once the speed of light will be surpassed?

But there are also other implications involving traveling at the speed of light. There is the SF effect called time travel which is not that SF! An astronaut that stays for an year in orbit around the Earth would have traveled in time a few hundreds of a second. Yes! That is true. But what is important is that the effect grows once you get near the speed of light. That is why some think that once you go over the spped of light you could actually go back in time! It's not exactly the time travel you see in Hollywood movies since to you time the same. But to an outside observer time goes faster. For example for as on Earth a second means 1,0000000000 which for an astronaut on orbit traveling a few tens of thousands of km/h a second on Earth is somewhat 0,9999999999. From his point of view life on Earth is going slower. OF course in real life he won't observe it since the effect is extremely small at that speed, but once you go faster who knows?

The last thing I would like to tackle is the light concept. Let's say that we can go exactly the speed of light. Since light travels at... :P ... well... the speed of light an object traveling at the same speed will not "see" anything directly backwards to him. Why? Simple. Since he has the speed of light and light travels at the same speed chasing him it means light will never reach him for as long as he has the speed of light. So in his back he will only see total and complete darkness - a darkness nobody has ever seen. It a logical theory, but I don't know how much sense it has...

I wanted to add another theory... Most of you have heard about Warp and Warp drive from Star Trek. It's science-fiction - but not too fictional. Although this technology is very far from practical it seems it has some theoretical truth in it. NASA researched it a couple of years ago and there is a fellow taking Warp drive very seriously. His name is Miguel Alcubierre and he is a Mexican physicist. So theoretical such an engine would be possible... How does it work? The engine is supposed to fold space in front of the ship and extend space in it's back. Meanwhile the ship travels between those spaces in a bubble - the space inside the bubble does not technically move so there is no time dilatation effect and the ship does not accelerate over the speed of light. So Einstein would have no problem with that...

This is how a Warp drive folds space...

Posted Image

As for the side effects this is how it would look when traveling using a warp drive!

Posted Image

If you are interested to read more about Warp drive you can do it HERE and HERE!

Ok, so I'm no scientist.. Yet.. Maybe not ever. I'm not completely sure exactly if you think the same way about the benefit of bending light. If this isn't actually a theory already, I'm sure they have thought of it. Are you saying that; since light can bend due to the presence of a gravitational field ( just as planets do[?]),  if we can travel at the speed of light ( taking in account that we have the ability to move a mass so large) while being able to bend our direction toward our destination, we would get there in a shorter amount of time. Do you have any idea what I am thinking about? Because I don't truly understand and am not educated in this matter, but I am interested. And will learn as you speak.

-question by Alexader Whatmore

Ok, so I'm no scientist.. yet.. maybe not ever. I'm not completely sure exactly if you think the same way about the benefit of bending light. If this isn't actually a theory already, I'm sure they have thought of it.. Are you saying that; since light can bend due to the presence of a gravitational field ( just as a planets orbit does[?]), if we can travel at the speed of light ( taking in account that we have the ability to move a mass so large) while being able to bend our direction toward our destination, we would get there in a shorter amount of time. As if we were in an artificial orbit.Do you have any idea what I am thinking about? Because I don't truly understand and am not educated in this matter, but I am interested. And will learn as you speak.

Edited by keen125 (see edit history)

My only real problem with the theory is that this mechanism that is supposed to bend space is still being called an engine. I would really like to think that once you acomplish bending space and time that you could come up with a better name than your typical engine... How about Fancy Object With Light And Time Altering Tendencies, or FOWLATAT for short??-BTW i recently declared today (january 2nd) International Video Game Appreciation Day! Spread the word and Celebrate!

Yes yes yes, we could all spend all day on wikipedia looking up warp drives and watching star trek btu i don't think that it would really help the situation. I think, and I may as well declare it now, that in the current setup that we have as in the known universe, that it is currently, and always will be impossible for any particle to move faster than the speed of light. I would not rule out other forms of high speed 'travel' though. I think teleportation is a possibility, albeit several hundred years off. In Geneva they have managed to teleport an atom across a lab. That will be the building blocks of it. Doing it with a live person however I'm not sure. There may also be access to another dimension in which we can 'short circuit' our dimension to 'bend the rules' that we know in order to travel faster than light. I don't think it will be possible through a warp drive mind.

This is just an educated guess, and I'm not well educated in this subject. But I think warp drive, bending space, and teleporting is all the same. Just different ways of naming it. I hope you guys respond to this on a regular basis, I'll respond the day you post, I really would like to keep the pace on this subject rather quick.