xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Help With Linux - Russix

Hi, I am quite a big n00b with Linux. I need help with this issue. I didn't want to install Linux on my hard-drive but still wanted to use it as a normal version not from a Live CD. I was looking for a Linux that can be installed on a pen drive. First I found SLAX and then I stumbled upon Russix, which is also based on SLAX. I like the security auditing part of Russix. ;) Now , SLAX can be installed on a Pendrive. Can anyone help me with Russix ? I need to install Russix on a Pen Drive How do i do that ?

You're a novice at Linux and you want to install a distro that is based on Slackware? Well, i suppose this tutorial will help you: Installing A Linux Distro to An USB Drive. If that doesn't work, there are more: search:install linux usb drive.

Thanks Truefusion.. I ran into another problem. I installed SLAX on my pendrive and tried to boot with the pendrive but Couldn't boot. I guess my motherboard doesn't support that. I'll have to wait till i get my system back. I was trying this on my old Laptop ;)and I got confused with the tutorial you gave too ;)should i run the commands from a dos prompt ? or from a running linux System ? (I dont have linux installed )and Can there be an easier way ? like in the case of slax.. I just have to copy the files and run a batch file

[1]should i run the commands from a dos prompt ? or from a running linux System ? (I dont have linux installed )

and

[2]Can there be an easier way ? like in the case of slax.. I just have to copy the files and run a batch file

[1]Linux system, when you're in the LiveCD environment.

[2]According to the tutorial i provided, you have to copy the entire LiveCD environment onto the pen drive after formatting the pen drive to a Linux compatible filesystem and then modify the setup in order to be able to boot into it. There may not be a batch file for this tutorial, but i'm assuming it pretty much gets into what that batch file you're referring to does. I'm not sure if there's an easier way to go about it, you can check out the other tutorials, though. And the only Linux distributor i know that sells usb drives with Linux already installed is Mandriva.

Thanks truefusion ;) I would still try to find out a batch file method for this. Its easier that ways and I dont have to convert my FAT32 into an ext3. You might want to check slax.org Its a cool website ;) NEways thanks again for the guide

help w/linux-russix USB = russix slax usbHelp With Linux - RussixReplying to bluedragonI was trying to make a russix pendrive also. The only way I got it to work was copying all the files (including hidden ones) to the USB drive, then using the CD to boot it since my laptop dosent support booting from USB. Type F1 at the boot screen and type " boot: slax nocd " the only difference was it had a regular slax wallpaper instead of the russix one. It would not copy for some reason

can russix be installed to the local HDDHelp With Linux - Russix

I'm also a noob with linux

What I want to know: can I install russix to alocal hard drive? No dual boot needed.

& how do I do it?

-reply by Snake

can russix be installed to the local HDD

Help With Linux - Russix

<p>I'm also a noob with linux</p>

<p> What I want to know: can I install russix to alocal hard drive? No dual boot needed.</p>

<p>& how do I do it? </p>

-reply by Snake

I think you can install it on a hard-disk since its originally meant for this only

I can't help you with the instructions on how to install since I haven't tried installing it.

In any case, It should be easy, I believe it will have a gui based install only.

You can always try. It wont burn up your system :D