xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

How To Disable Firefox's Awesome Bar restore old location/address bar from firefox 2

How To Disable Firefox's Awesome Bar

Many people are struggling to find the benefits of the so-called Awesome Bar as one member so truthfully pointed out, the smart tag makes your viewing "illicit" sites more obvious, particularly when people are peering over as you're typing keywords in ;)

Anyway, for those of us who are too lazy to clear their history at the appropriate times, there are two steps to disabling its function entirely:

Type about:config into the location bar and change the value browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to true. After this, you need to restart Firefox. All this does is make it so that Firefox only searches the URLs you have typed and not the titles of pages.

Install the Old Location Bar extension. This changes the location bar so that it looks like how it looked in Firefox 2. As of me writing this post, it is an experimental addon so you will need to register to the Firefox addon service to install it.

Hope this helps!

It's not really that much of a problem for me. I just ignore it, not that it's going to haunt me and kill my family.
...right?

...right??? D:

I agree with you, it really isn't the huge of an issue. But I do understand everyone else's point as well. In Firefox 2.0 it was in fact less complicated but 10x more useful.

But yeah, it's not going to haunt you ;)

Yea, I don't like that "awesome bar", it keeps all my "bookmarks" in the red. Thanks for the tut.I find it easy to rename my bookmarks and only visit "sites" that are discreetly named xD